View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Combo Subthread] Psychedelics & Alcohol

Norules

Bluelighter
Does anyone drink when tripping? I often have a smallish amount of alchohol spaced out over the entire duration of the experience (say 6-8 drinks over 8 hours) because it relaxes me, and because of the production of GABA fluid, helps to reduce any anxiety as well as allow a more dremy, surreal experience.

I know some shamans like to drink when in the spiritworld, I was just wondering why they do and also whther it will have any impact on the trip, either negative or otherwise? The worst thing I have found is that it dehydrates you and can leave yiou with a headache and some physical upset.... :)

Low doses of alcohol are always a good mood-lifter for me, and would probably ensure a good set for tripping. But I rarely bother, because I find psychedelics put me in a good mood anyway.

Since I started doing drugs, I've looked at booze in a whole new light, and noticed that alcohol can be quite psychedelic in its own way. Getting drunk has become a whole lot more interesting than it used to be!

(It's worth mentioning that mixing alcohol with MAOIs can be dangerous, kids. Amen.)

yup i've drank...i think twice while tripping now...just like a beer or two...:) it is good, beer is always tasty and good!

hmmmmmmm i've heard that it's good to drink some beer after eatin mushrooms (bla bla bla... sth with fermentation) is it true ??

Personally I avoid alcohol when using psychedelics. A drink or two takes the edge of the experience but it also seems to dull the psychedelic nature of the experience. A large amount of alcohol, i.e. getting drunk on a psychedelics seems to lead to black outs and doing crazy things. A drink or two after the trip is OK.

Drinking on acid is fun. Takes the edge off the trip and you can drink more. I suppose too much can kill the trip, that's why I save it for the comedown. Alcohol tastes better on weed, but it's probably not a good idea to drink until you're coming down.

gloggawogga said:
Personally I avoid alcohol when using psychedelics. A drink or two takes the edge of the experience but it also seems to dull the psychedelic nature of the experience. A large amount of alcohol, i.e. getting drunk on a psychedelics seems to lead to black outs and doing crazy things. A drink or two after the trip is OK.

I don't like getting really drunk on a trip because it does reduce the effects, but I'd rather have a drink or three before I start peaking . . . its less midnumbing then a benzo, and I find that if my visions a little blurry and weird anyway, when the drugs kick in, the world is already slightly strange and I can relax into the experience easier. :)

Osbie Feel said:
Since I started doing drugs, I've looked at booze in a whole new light, and noticed that alcohol can be quite psychedelic in its own way. Getting drunk has become a whole lot more interesting than it used to be!

I know exactly what you mean by that and I've definitely noticed the same thing.

I don't drink while actually on psychedelics but I find a couple of beers while coming down from acid really makes it a lot less disquieting. But that's just me and acid, it's definitely not one of my favourites because of the unpleasantness I get on the comedown.

I must drink Royal Swan Gold Rum with dry ginger ale if anything when tripping on LSD. A beer or two on the comedown can be good as well, but I never have the urge to get drunk at all, just a few drinks - I like alcohol a lot anyway.

On mushrooms I have a few beers, maybe 5 stubbies over the entire trip. It's good to have just a couple drinks beforehand, I find it relaxing and helps me ease into the trip a little better.

I've been thinking about it to reduce the fear but I don't want it dumbing my thoughts..

I love having a couple beers on the comedown, really helps you relax and think about what you just went through.

A few beers will probably be alright, but whatever you do, do not get drunk and then trip. I've personally seen two bad experiences with this and heard of many others. One of my friends was standing up and just completely passed out, fell right on his face and busted his shit wide open. The other was stumbling all over the house and breaking shit, just sweeping everything off the mantle, pulling books off the bookshelf, mumbling incoherent shit about needing to clean up. Haha, and one time I was trying to play beer pong while on like 5gs of mushrooms, and I swore that someone had pissed in my cup. I couldn't for the life of me figure out if it was beer or piss in my cup. The fact that I felt like people were watching me didn't help, as I thought everyone was in on the joke. But yeah, alcohol is bad.

ive been pretty drunk and dropped acid and shit got crazy (i kept drinking heavily the whole trip) but I dont think there is much physical danger in doing so other than possibly putting yourself in harms way because of your deranged state ... your friend passing out was probly just a fluke ... drinking on acid is really enjoyable ... think Fear and Loathing

In my experience LSD lets you drink quite a bit more booze than you would normally before feeling too drunk.

LSD counteracts the sedative/groggy affects of booze but the alcohol can make you very disinhibited on LSD. Usually that results in people acting crazy but having a blast.

so true.. i always drink too much with LSD ..
it drives me crazy and i can't remember things properly after the trip. I mean a black out.
Alcohol (in large quantity) puts the trip into a real puzzle for my memory and leaves me with anxious feelings the day after.
that's such a waste for me

Last edited:
Funny thing, I drink copious amounts of alcohol on shrooms, lsd, and 5-meo-mipt, however on mdma I hardly touch a drop. It just doesn't seem to taste right. As for shamans drinking I've only met a couple of the indian/mexican variety and the both loved their cervesa y mescal or pretty much whatever type of booze was around tripping or not.

I always drink while tripping. I use it as a way to deal with the anxiety/panic attacks that I often get during trips. If I don't have any alcohol or tranquilizers handy, I'll simply wait until I do have them to trip. Almost every time I trip I have anxiety and panic attacks, so I try to counteract them by using alcohol or tranquiliziers and sedatives. Peace.

Drinking WHILE tripping is a different story. I was warning against dropping after you're already drunk.

spun420833 said:
Funny thing, I drink copious amounts of alcohol on shrooms, lsd, and 5-meo-mipt, however on mdma I hardly touch a drop. It just doesn't seem to taste right.
Same, drinking whilst tripping is quite enjoyable but on E it feels unclean or heavy to drink alcohol (especially beer) - that's one reason (imho) why people drink water whilst on MDMA, because it feels clean, natural.

PlunX said:
I always drink while tripping. I use it as a way to deal with the anxiety/panic attacks that I often get during trips. If I don't have any alcohol or tranquilizers handy, I'll simply wait until I do have them to trip. Almost every time I trip I have anxiety and panic attacks, so I try to counteract them by using alcohol or tranquiliziers and sedatives. Peace.

I am a heavy drinker and am wondering if I can use alcohol instead of
tranq/benzos? The reasons are that I am very experienced with alcohol and know at a subconscious level how to drink and how much I am drinking, so even if I am really tripped out I think I can control how much I drink. I have never had a full blow panic attack on psychadelics and do not have much experience with Benzos. Is the extra kick they provide something I would need?