Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Motivation and losing weight

Raz

Bluelighter
Hey y'all,

I have a question for yez....has anyone here ever done a big weight loss plan? I don't mean like losing a couple of kilos to fit into your favourite pants from three years ago that don't fit no more..more like losing about 20 odd kilos to stop being such an unfit fatass...

I'm just wondering what people have found motivating...my problem is that I'll do something like go to gym hardcore for like 2-3 months, lose a bit of fat and generally become a lot fitter, but then I just lose motivation...

I'm going to see a personal trainer on tuesday, and I'm starting a healthier diet than "bottle of coke for brekky, take-away for dinner" tomorrow. I'm not so much asking for weight-loss tips, cause I know I just have to eat a lot healthier and get more exercise...I'm just wondering what tools people use to motivate themselves to stick to it when it gets boring or difficult.

(Geminis aren't good at sticking to something for a long time, I have all the self-discipline of an ADD child hyped up on red cordial and bags of sugar...)

All serious responses well appreciated, thanks! :D

--Raz--

I can't really give any informed advice so all I'm gonnna say is good luck =D :D =D

This is a serious response...

Marijuana use has definately helped me to lose weight. I've shed 35kgs from what was my peak weight of 120kgs (I'm now 85kg)...

At the same time, you have to be able to avoid going and getting something to eat upon munchie onset, but it's worked for me.

build up your strength, change your workout routines.

most importantly, do a lot of cardio.

running on the treadmill helps a lot, especially if u're unfit to begin with, to be running on a track or the road.

i was never overweight to begin with but i found doing 10km on the treadmill every second day is very effective. and it gets pretty fun once ur body gets into shape to do all that running.

would probably be prudent to set realistic goals you can reach so as to not be disheartened.

good luck! :)

Learn to enjoy excercise. I've never lost huge slabs of weight before, but i lost about 5 kilos last year as a by-product of remembering how much i enjoy swimming at the beach and walking/meandering everywhere.

Also, maybe keep in mind the general life benefits of regular excercise. Being able to run around/fuck/irish jig for more than 5 minutes at a time, etc.

Saying all this though, 20 kilos is a lot of weight to lose. Have you considered speaking to a doctor/nutritionist as well as a personal trainer about your plans? Are you sure you actually have that much to lose?

Unusual as it is, Dante is right. While I have never had a weight problem (built like a stickman, and not in entirely the good way) I have had freinds that have been perpetually and chronically overwheght suddenly drop frame sizes to the point they rivalled mine. Changes so dramatic and rapid, it was a challenge to actually recognise them. How? Smoking shitloads of weed.

Not sure why, but weed seems to cause some wierd metabolic effects. These people also seemed to keep the weight off after their heavy smoking stages too... While this is pretty anecdotal evidence, the changes were so dramatic, I am pretty convinced it was probably the weed given their lack of any pursuit of other weight loss options.. Or even physical activity for that matter.

So, I guess if you can tolerate being habitually stoned off your arse for a significant time period, this could be the way for you...

Hey Raz,

yeah, i've been down that road. I lost 20 kilos about 3 years ago through eating properly and exercise (a damn lot of it!!)
Then i put it all back on 1 1/2 years later (damn ex's!!)

Now yet again i'm on a diet. Though this time, i'm on a perscribed appetite suppressant. That was my primary problem - food. I was going to the gym prior to this but without results as i was eating too much.

Now, i've lost 11 kilos in about 2 months and i've almost dropped a dress size. Got another 9 kilos to go until i'm content with my weight. Then maybe after that another 5.. we'll see how it goes.

P.S. I workout at the gym as much as i can. On average every 2nd day. I do heaps of cardio like the treadmill, ski machine and the exercise bike. I try to burn of more than 600 calories per session (about 90min) I've lost a huge mass of my butt, thighs and legs, now for the upper half which i'll do aerobics and sit ups.
Motivation - Is what i wanna look like at the end of this journey. Thats it for me, pretty simple. It's the only thing that keeps me going...

I don't mean to sound like Fergie, but... Weight Watchers worked for me. ;)

Truly - I've done WW three times now over the past 10 years; the first time I lost about 12kg, the subsequent times I've just gone back to lose those few that have crept on. (It's about time for a return visit for moi too :\ )

I just find their 'points system' terrific. It's easy AS, and nothing is "forbidden" as such, you've just got to save up for it by eating less "Points" the previous day. I used to have a bottle of wine and pizza every Friday night and still lose weight. I did find, however, the weight loss slowed at a certain stage and I had to exercise to keep it coming off. And I also have to exercise to stay at my desired weight and still eat like a normal person. Sigh... life's a bitch.

Exercise is a funny thing. If you're anything like me you'll do anything you can to avoid it, normally. However as I get into it (or rather, keep forcing myself to get out there, day after day) a strange thing happens. I actually start to enjoy it. Not enjoy it like a great pill or a good meal... but in some sort of twisted way you start to revel in what it's doing to your body, how different you feel, how strong you feel. It really becomes a rush. The challenge is then just to keep the momentum going, and just watch those kilos fall off.

Anyway... motivation. It's simple. For me, it's pure vanity. I want to look good in these pants. I want to look sexy to guys (you can use that one too, if you like =D ). Funnily enough, the most successful times I've lost weight have been when I've just split up with a boyfriend. The motivation is being back out there on the singles scene, or sticking it up the ex with how great I look now (the "Ha Ha, look what you're missing" syndrome). I actually find it SO hard to get motivated when I'm happy and settled in a relationship. It can be done though, it's just harder.

Whatever works for you, find it and work it. But you've done the hardest thing by actually taking action. I'll bet that meeting with the personal trainer gets the ball rolling. Good luck & let us know how you go. :)

This is gonna sound whack, but its true

i started going out about a year ago, go out friday, take some substances, dance the night away, go home, sleep, same for saturday, go home, eat a healthy lunch sunday.

Monday - friday i take my lunch to work, leftovers from the previous nights tea, i dont buy anything to eat while im at work. I used to be 85kgs, now im 65, all by a simple change in diet, but still going out and having fun, and not very costly in comparison to weight wacthers or gut busters!

When i smoke weed all i want to do is eat and lay around...it couldn't possibly have help me lol

I have lost 33kgs and did it by appetite supressants to start with because i was a size 22 and ate so much so i had to slowly shrink my stomach by not being so hungry by not eating as much. I did it also bu exersising heaps and cutting back on food and replacing foofs such as skim milk instead of full cream, rice crackers instead of chips, salad rolls instead of hambugers and all the normal stuff like that.

My motivation was to look better initially.I didn't think i would be happy until i lost all the weight but it wasn't until i actually was happy with myself and then that turned me into not really doing it to look good but just to feel better and it kinda just started falling of after that :)

I'd still like to loose 10-15kgs but it's not at the top of my priority list right now and it doesn't matter.

Motivate yourself just from the fact that you will just feel better really ...good luck...its very difficult loosing weight :)

go to the gym build up your lean muscle mass to help burn off fat, do cardio for 45 mins three times a week, and increase the amount of meals you have, but make them smaller meals to help increase metabolic rate

try to eat 4-6 small meals a day seriously if you are doing weights and cardio you will start eating lots more, and the weight will drop off

Going to the gym will put you down, after seeing all those sweaty buff men. My recommendation? Buy one of those home gyms or a barbell set or treadmill. They shouldnt set you back too much if you're willing to flick through the trading post, and theyll help with your upper body fitness, and cardio fitness(the treadmill).

Right now, I'm just doing chins, pushups and a jog every now and then, when its not too cold. I also do lotsa walkies to and from home & the station, and to and from station to uni. It ends up being a good hour a day walking, and although haven't suddenly turned into a steroid bound muscleman, i can definitely tell that its made a difference.

btw - dont feel let down if you can only get away with 8 or so pushups before your arms collapse and your face feels like exploding - you've gotta start somewhere

Umm I am currently 85KGs down from 110Kg and I did this slowly over 2 years... so maybe im not the best person to ask.

I did it through a combination of dieting and going to the gym. I also think big nights were excellent every so often.

I was a member of a gym where I used to just do mainly cardio mixed with light rep weights... i also found boxing and Karate as a fun way to get your heart rate up.

Eating wise.. ive tried every diet under the sun... the ones that worked kinda well was the points diet from weight watchers... but that always left me hungry... THe best one was the protein diet... im sorry but its true.. it may be bad for u but if u can cut out the major carbos ie pasta rice bread etc for long enough u will not get hungry... If u eat these regularly u get really hungry and really stack on the weight

in my honest opinion the reason why there are so many overweight individuals is because of that stupid food pyramid which u will see dieticians talking about all the time.

I am still overweight but about 7 kgs but because im studying i dont care... i probably would be able to lose weight much quicker if i wasnt studyign but hey dems the breaks.... Ill lose it over the summer holidays or something ....

but yeha my suggestion do your exercise eat eggs and bacon and be happy... Think about it back in the 30s most men where thin... They didnt eat cereal or shit like that they ate dripping and bacon and eggs every day... now im not saying that this isnt the best mix either cause it will kill your heart but u can find a balance.

my mum is currently on sureslim... they say to eat protein the first few mouthfuls as it does something to the pancreas so it either cuts down the amount of secreation or releases more... anyway i dont know but supposedly if u do this its proven to work...yes it sounds like a fad.... Also they have mum eating all these seeds and stuff to speed up her motabolism... thats pretty gross.

the protein idea sounds like a good idea though... they suggest that if u go drinking, take some armonds with u as they are high in protein and therefore do that thing i vaguely discribed.

They also suggest that u leave 5 hours between your meals. I dunno why but its really been good for mum... she is losing lots of weight without actually doing much exercise... So u cant really argue with the facts

anyway good luck... once u get in the exercise zone keep up with it u will feel amazing

Last edited:
lol maybe i should post some pics

lol... cool hand luke dude cool hand luke

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum where I was/am a bit of a skinny git and I am trying to add some muscle to my frame.

After 1 year I have gone from 74kg to 85kg and looking better so I can probably help with the motivation thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get into a routine
If you make a promise to go four times a week to the gym then without question, you go four times. No excuses. Dont have time? find time.

Change the diet
Eat quality foods. If you are going to have junk food then at least make it something like skinless chicken or one of Subway's lighter options.

Drink a lot of water (lack of water can slow metabolism) and eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.

Cardio work
If you are losing weight then cardio is the way to go. Personally I find running on a treadmill utterly soul destroying so I find a game like 'squash' is fantastic, you get all the running around while keeping your mind somewhat active.

Boxercise or circuit training are both good options as well.

Throw in some weight training as well but make sure its to strengthen, not to bulk.

Supplements
Protein shakes can help you build a bit of muscle which helps you burn fat.

Other supplements like "Cell Tech" contain ingredients that make it easier to build muscle while losing weight at the same time.

Photos
Take a shot of you minus a shirt before you train. Keep it handy. Every 3 months take photos.
The mind has a funny way of overlooking small gradual changes so this should help inspire you as you have a direct comparison to draw as the months go by.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all these tips howeveer the most important thing is that you stick to it. It has taken years for your body to get into the unhealthy state it is in currently, so 3 months of mediocre training isnt going to reverse that.

Stick with it, give it 100% and I guarantee you will see results.

And dont go blaming things like your starsign for skipping out on training, thats just a pissweak excuse if I have ever heard one :)

Ok, first up - the problem with specific "diets" is that they are based on drastically altering your eating patterns until the desired weight is lots, then reverting back to your normal diet and stacking the weight back on again. This style of off-again, on-again dieting is not good for your body. The low carb, high protein diet is a prime example of this as it is not sustainable in the long term, unless you fancy dying of heart disease or kidney failure (my sister yo-yos on this diet something chronic). If you really want to keep the weight off in the long term, you need to make a conscious decision to change your lifestyle - that means better food and more exercise permanently . It's not as bad as it sounds though - you still get to eat all sorts of foods, it's just the amounts need to balance with your outputs. To lose weight energy spent through exercise and general activity must be greater than the energy put in through food, and to stay at your desired weight, energy out and energy in must balance, so you can eat more or fattier foods but you have to do more exercise.

Now, Raz's question regarded motivation. Different things motivate different people. For some, visualising the end goal works (eg: dress size), for others, a personal promise does the trick, and for some, a committment to someone else works. Sometimes it's a combination of a few factors. For me personally, it's predominatly the way I feel when I'm fit and healthy that motivates me to keep going (even though i do fall over sometimes and start gaining again). I also use a committment to others - in my case I take my neighbour's dogs walking/running - if I don't take them I feel guilty that they're not getting any exercise and they bark and whine at me to come and take them, so i get motivated again.

And the gym isn't for everyone - some people love it and it really is the best option for them. Personally, I find gym boring and depressing - not the best for losing weight, but if you are more competitive or less depressive than me it is often worthwhile:\ If the thoguh of runnign on a treadmill drives you bonkers, buy a pushbike and forget that you have a car (if you have one to begin with. I ride to uni - it was hard at first, being motivated everyday and dealing with crappy weather and homicidal drivers, but I love not having to sit in traffic jams or battle for a parking space, and I arrive at uni awake and firing. I also save money on fuel and exhorbitant parking fees. %)

I guess outling your goals first (what size you would like to be, how much muscle mass do you want to build, how fit do you want to be), then talk to the experts about it: personal trainers, doctors, nutritionists and physiotherapists arre all worth consulting, especially if you have underlying health problems. Get your friends on board to give you moral support and a kick up the arse when you need it and let those endorphins get to work! Best of luck Raz!!!!

Smiley

I've had the opposite problem, I was really fucking skinny, I'm 65 now and that to me, feels curvacious.

Its seems to be a matter of finding a pattern you enjoy doing, and keeping track of when you last ate, mine is swimming, (in summer, too damn cold now) running around the lake and playing soccer with my housemates... and doing situps with my housemates, nothing like the evil compettition to make you do another ten.
[edit: and big nights out, they do wonders for the muscle mass]

Last edited:
hmmm well i did the low carb diet and finished it over a year ago... i havent put on any weight since... so your dietician view point just went to shit ;)

^^^
my mum is a good advocate for the high protein low carb diet. She is never hungry (has been on it for about 20 months) and says she feel better than ever.

It works on a weekly cycle, starting with a purely protein day where you eat 6-8 100gram servings of proyein (eg fat free cheese, tuna, no fat cottage cheese, light shaved ham) and from there onwards you eat salad instead of pasta, chicken instead of potato... yeah yeah yeah....

keeps the weight off, and keeps you healthy
(I should work in advertising ;))