• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Warning - do not snort crushed hydromorph contin

starting_over

Bluelighter
2 days ago for the first time, I crushed and snorted 2mg of hydromorph contin, 12mg size (those tiny extended release beads). 5 min later I started getting 2/10 pain in my lungs but managed to get to sleep.

I went to the hospital yesterday morning and my chest x-ray, blood pressure, heart rate, ECG, 'stethoscope test' were all ok.

Doctor said I've likely got some of that in my lungs and it's causing irritation. It should get better within 24 hours, and to not exercise for 48 hours. Good news is that the lungs are good at getting rid of particles.

It's been over 24 hours and I'm still having issues with my lungs.

If any pain persists in a few days, I should go back to the emergency. I'm really worried about the binders in the extended release pills sticking in my lungs...

I'm been trying to quit for a while, this is a huge wake up call. I'm done doing this crap.

Please everyone, do not snort these.

Related links:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/572814-!!!Warning-If-You-Snort-Opana-ER!!!

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/521995-OPANA-ER-insuffalation-and-Silicosis/page5

http://chealth.canoe.com/drug/getdrug/Hydromorph-Contin
12 mg Each orange, controlled-release capsule, imprinted with "PF" and "HYDROMORPH CONTIN" and the strength "12 mg", contains hydromorphone HCl 12 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, dibutyl sebacate, ethyl cellulose, hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose, magnesium stearate, and microcrystalline cellulose; capsule shell: D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Red No. 40, gelatin, and titanium dioxide.

The microcrystalline cellulose is what seems to be causing issues.

edit: found a study on pulmonary effects on IV injection of crushed oral tablets (I never IV but take a look at the x-ray imaging of excipient lung disease)

http://www.ajronline.org/doi/full/10.2214/AJR.14.12582

Last edited:
Wow, I never knew that could even happen.
Thank you for the HR!

Thanks for the heads up on this Im sure some people who see this will benefit from this knowledge.

I really hope everyone who snorts or IV's this stuff gets to see this thread. As long as the ingredients are the same, it doesn't matter if its ER opana, hydromorphone, etc.

This is really scary, I'll be posting updates as my health (hopefully) improves

Some useful information. Thanks OP. Is this what's called "Talcosis"?

I'm not in the medical field but my guess is yes.

Regarding talc: "Tablets intended for oral use typically contain insoluble binding agents, such as talc (hydrated magnesium silicate), microcrystalline cellulose, crospovidone, potato starch, and cornstarch [3]. Medications abused in this manner (either alone or in combination) include methylphenidate (Ritalin), oral opiates (methadone, pentazocine, and meperidine), and antihistamines."

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/foreign-body-granulomatosis

Pulmonary talcosis with IV drug use:

http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2014.189.1_MeetingAbstracts.A1536

http://rc.rcjournal.com/content/58/10/e126.full

"The presence of talc in the giant cell reaction prompted us to consider pulmonary talcosis secondary to intravenous drug abuse as the diagnosis. When confronted with the findings, the patient admitted to injecting himself with crushed oxycodone... Our patient had crushed an oral formulation of oxycodone and injected himself, which resulted in acute respiratory failure presenting with severe hypoxemia and manifesting on the computed tomogram as ground glass opacities and reticulonodular pattern. The talc granulomas were discovered on biopsy and established the diagnosis of respiratory failure from intravenous drug abuse"

"Talc particles in crushed oral medications that are injected intravenously become entrapped in the pulmonary vasculature and can then move into the interstitium and cause a granulomatous reaction. These granulomas have giant cells that can be visualized as birefringent talc crystals with polarized light.9 The perivascular distribution of talc granulomas is a distinct finding of intravenous drug abuse, unlike inhaled talc, where the deposition is predominantly around respiratory bronchioles and alveolar ducts. Larger talc crystals are also suggestive of intravenous drug abuse."

Last edited:
This is why every IV user should use micron filters and prefilters everytime when injecting crushed or dissolved pills.

As far as we are aware, France is the only country where an IDUSF is widely available, and free of charge, at almost all needle exchange programs (NEPs). These programs also give out sterile cotton filters (which are inside a sterile single use cooker given out as a kit, the Stericup®). IDUs in this country thus have the choice between two sterile filters. Besides these, some IDU use cigarette filters; other makeshift filters are rarely used in France. We describe here a study which explored filtration method preference by IDUs who have access to these three options and the influence of the drug being injected on filter preference. The characteristics of the Sterifilt® are the following: it eliminates 99% of insoluble particles, and is additionally effective at shifting the particle size distribution towards the smaller range, with approximately 95% of all particles present after filtration measuring less than 5 μm [12]. This filter retains virtually no drug (0.02 ml), as opposed to cigarette and makeshift filters which retain about 0.13 ml [13].

Sterifilts seem to be the choice for needle exchanges in Europe. Nowadays these are available free from other countries than France too as the article is from your 2011.

http://harmreductionjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1477-7517-8-20

Threads like this are great, I know I'd probably be snorting all my pills if not for discovering BL. I hope everything turns out to be ok for you OP.

Today my chest pain got gradually worse as the day went on, and I wasn't able to fall asleep... my chest was very heavy and it felt like whenever I breathed in, I wasn't getting the full amount of oxygen.

Went to the hospital again for the second day in a row, the doctor gave me a bronchodilator (ventalin). Also asked for a corticosteroid (prednisone) which I took and got a prescription for an additional 4 days.

Doctor also re-examined my x-ray from yesterday and said my lungs are hyper expanded (which the original doctor didn't note). Said the talc or whatever else they put in the extended release pills are irritating my lungs. He ruled out pulmonary talcosis, since this was my first time snorting crushed ER hydromorphone -- it would take repeated, lengthy exposure to talc to qualify.

Should take another 3-7 days for things to clear up, but in the meantime I'll have to put up with some chest discomfort.

My chest still feels heavy but it's gotten a bit better, hopefully I can sleep soon. Doctor said to relax and try not to over-think it, as it makes things worse.

I crushed and snorted half of the beads from an 18mg hydromorph contin (so approx 9mg) the other day and am fine. The trick to hydro is to let your nose absorb it so I made sure it wasnt too far back. Dilaudid is much better than the continuous release in my experience/opinion.

Crazy that this happened after just one time, I knew this can happen, but most of the time it takes way longer than just one time, like continuous abuse over weeks, till something this severe happens. (just read the case studies sticky)
But as the poster above said, if one insists on snorting pills, it's important to make sure not to snort too hard, you want the powder in your nose, not in your lungs, so maybe that's what caused your problems, you snorted too hard and all of the powder got into your lungs and not just up your nose.

Hope you feel better soon.

True. I have a wicked deviated septim, so this plays some part in making insufflation difficult for me. Whenever I beging to snort, I have to be super cautious, or I end up with the powder in my throat or in my lungs. Even if you don't sniff the powder all the way up into your mucus membranes, just having it in the upper sinus enables you you sniff it up more gradually. This is just my experience.

It's strange, I snorted very softly like you guys described above and yet I still got stuff in my lungs. I guess it's kind of inevitable that a little bit gets in there.

I've snorted dilaudid before (8mg) with no issues. Instant release I believe... Small triangles. It's been over a year and a half ago.

2 days ago for the first time, I crushed and snorted 2mg of hydromorph contin, 12mg size (those tiny extended release beads). 5 min later I started getting 2/10 pain in my lungs but managed to get to sleep.

I went to the hospital yesterday morning and my chest x-ray, blood pressure, heart rate, ECG, 'stethoscope test' were all ok.

Doctor said I've likely got some of that in my lungs and it's causing irritation. It should get better within 24 hours, and to not exercise for 48 hours. Good news is that the lungs are good at getting rid of particles.

It's been over 24 hours and I'm still having issues with my lungs.

If any pain persists in a few days, I should go back to the emergency. I'm really worried about the binders in the extended release pills sticking in my lungs...

I'm been trying to quit for a while, this is a huge wake up call. I'm done doing this crap.

Please everyone, do not snort these.

Related links:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/572814-!!!Warning-If-You-Snort-Opana-ER!!!

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/521995-OPANA-ER-insuffalation-and-Silicosis/page5

http://chealth.canoe.com/drug/getdrug/Hydromorph-Contin
12 mg Each orange, controlled-release capsule, imprinted with "PF" and "HYDROMORPH CONTIN" and the strength "12 mg", contains hydromorphone HCl 12 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, dibutyl sebacate, ethyl cellulose, hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose, magnesium stearate, and microcrystalline cellulose; capsule shell: D&C Red No. 28, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Red No. 40, gelatin, and titanium dioxide.

The microcrystalline cellulose is what seems to be causing issues.

edit: found a study on pulmonary effects on IV injection of crushed oral tablets (I never IV but take a look at the x-ray imaging of excipient lung disease)

http://www.ajronline.org/doi/full/10.2214/AJR.14.12582

Indeed [MENTION=86]star[/MENTION]t_over, thanks for sharing. Important info.

Of course I know I can't keep snorting my pills, but oxymorphone is just so much more affective nasally. I've been snorting them gently, with my nasal passages wet first for almost a year. I had walking pneumonia this year, and I had two X-rays that didn't show any damage. Would a regular X-ray show this type of damage?

I recently had a spinal cord stimulator implanted, and was planning to go off of my ER generic drugs. It just hasn't started working regularly yet.

Of course I know I can't keep snorting my pills, but oxymorphone is just so much more affective nasally. I've been snorting them gently, with my nasal passages wet first for almost a year. I had walking pneumonia this year, and I had two X-rays that didn't show any damage. Would a regular X-ray show this type of damage?

I recently had a spinal cord stimulator implanted, and was planning to go off of my ER generic drugs. It just hasn't started working regularly yet.

I would be a bit worried about your lungs especially if this has gone on for a year... One of the links I've added has chest x-rays which show a ton of particulate (granted, from IV usage of this stuff).

From my limited understanding, a chest CT or angiogram are better at detecting blockages.

If you can't get anything else, maybe you're better off plugging (?). Never done that myself but there are real risks to it, just not directly to your lungs anyway. Please be careful.

If you had the IR pills you could make a nasal spray formulation like one would make an IV formulation. With the ER pills it is loads difficult where the new formula is near impossible there old one that crush's can be mixed with water after dissolving in isopropyl, filtering through coffee paper, and evaporated clean.