Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

BL Musos UNITE!

Adikkal

Bluelighter
Wellity wellity wellity,
I'm starting this thread as a response to an inherent frustration im presently encountering, which would be this.
I am talented musically, i know this. I wish to do things with my talent and make music with other similarly talented people. Now its not just talent alone becos i wouldn't consider myself a freak at music by any means, it's more about the PASSION for music.
When i meet people who share this passion for music, I am put on this new plane of beautiful feelings that makes me feel like i'm on some sort of drugs (then i remember the drugs ;) )
Basically, my main interest at the moment would be to get my rhymes out over some music and collaborate with other likeminded people, because i believe we could create some AWESOME music. If you have the passion, then all it takes is practice. Which is the wonderful thing, ya see, I play music because i love it, the more I play the better i get and the better i get the more i love it. Its a nice cycle.
I'm not exactly sure what the point of this thread is, except this. All of you people who share that passion for MAKING and PLAYING music please post, because we need to unite under a single banner and share that energy. I'm not playing nearly enough music with other people, and its what i love doing, and this frustrates me.
So take this as a "Help Adikkal get off his ass and release some music" and post here.
What i propose is that, if there are enough people interested, we get a venue and a date and collaborate,
and you know it'll be great :)
Adikkal

Well, I'll definately stand tall and proud underneath this banner.
I love music, it's the constant in my life. I love making it, listening to it and playing it. The places that music have send me to are some of the most beautiful, sublime and mystical states of being I've ever had. I've been playing one instrument or another since my early years, and even though I'm not an excellent muso, I still know I can hold my own when it comes down to it. It's all about soul, passion and the desire to share what is so beautiful about the world. So Addikal, I guess I could say I'm on the same wavelength when you talk about music.
I'm in a garage band, and I've recently decided to get some decks so I can expand my horizons as it were.
I'm always interested in meeting new people to make music with. I don't promise much, other than a 100% promise that I'll throw myself into any music I do.

cool thread.
okay, as yet i'm not a muso (hopefully soon)..
but, i figured this might be a good place to ask - i've just paid off my credit card, and being young and foolish, i want something to max it out on again (though, it would have to be something at least a little useful), and i'm *thinking* about decks.
now, i've *never* had any experience with anything like this, but i'd really love to do it. now, am i being stupid? is it something that's an inherent talent, and if i 'don't got it,' i'm fucked?
just be interested to hear people's ideas/experiences. hope i haven't hijacked this thread too much...if so, i'll delete this and go start a new one :)
!brad

hey adikkal man ive heard "superadikkal.mp3" floating around the net man, and i must say,
"you got skills"
go for it bud ! and never forget your liquid !

damn shame you're in Sydney bro. I've been looking for someone to put rhymes to some beats i've been making.
I'm really getting into the aussie hip hop scene. If you're ever down in Melbourne you'll have to let me know!

Mr Horse:
As a matter of fact dude, i'm prolly gonna be down in Melbourne in february for a few days this year. I'll most definitely hit you up man
shoot me an email or msn
[email protected]
If theres somewhere i could dl some of your beats then we could collab online maybe, i'll drop some rhymes over, then send back to ya or whatever and see how it sounds. Keep in touch on this aight...
Static: Haha, superadikkal! Wooot! Yeah, i just wanted to put my voice to a beat so i could get the sound out.
For those interested
http://www.newlevel-media.com/dump/superadikkal.mp3
Just some random battle verses i wrote for a msg forum,
Fetish Jester: I kinda figured you'd reply, from what i remember you shared the passion :) We have to hook up one day for a jam, talk about it more in cbr this weekend !
Onetwothreefour: The main thing i guess is, do you have the passion for music? If you really love music and think that you would love to mix/scratch becos of the fun you can have with music then go for it, if you want to do it for other reasons (to be a dj, to get chicks or some stupid shit) then it aint gonna work.
I've never regretted buying my decks, not in the slightest, just another way to express my musicality basically.
Adikkal

1234: I JUST (IE last weekend) went and got decks. I'd NEVER touched a pair, but really had the "on" 2 use some. I know it was a bit silly, but i've been interested in it for years. I've spent 5 hours tonight playing with them, and 3 last night. They are great. I'm trying to learn to beat match still, lol. The selection of records I have (about 6, are all OVER the place). It's fun, and it gets me off the PC. It's a creative outlet for me, and music, MAN does it take me places. *waiting 4 order 2 come 4m juno w/ all my goodies :p*
Basically, if u like a style of music that you could DJ 2, I say go for it. I'm REALLY glad I did! I'm no muso, but have a passion for listening 2 music, this is my way of making, and putting more depth into my music. I have no ambitions 2 become more than a bedroom banger...
--KeenSydGuy aka djway

its as simple as that,
and i can make your shit phat,
so spaced, not placed away or waisted,
tasted like the public that needs some bass ed,
shit man you make this look so easy,
think ill stick to playing parcheezy,
but remember im not sublime,
cause when it comes to beat im forsheezy!!
hhheeeeehheh trying to speak your language
yo adge record your vocals send it to me and ill put a mink beat behind it. chech....can ya dig it?
[ 07 January 2003: Message edited by: BLACK_ICE ]

Music is my life... highly probable that i don't play anything that would collaborate with you guys but I thought I join in this thread to encourage you all.
Keep it up guys, playing music is something that has kept me going through everything, and is what i use as my oultlet.
hard work pays off, as I have come to notice recently...
Adikkal: your shit rocks man!! can't wait to hear some more :)
[ 07 January 2003: Message edited by: star_beats ]
[ 07 January 2003: Message edited by: star_beats ]

Damn straight Ooopsz,
Thats what its about, is the whole living and breathing music type of thing, and just having the intuition for it.
I like music of all genres and as a musician you have to realise that EVERY style of music has something you can learn from, whether you don't particularly like the style all that much, there may be one small rhythmic or stylistic idea that you could embrace and work into the music you create.
I feel its integral to listen to a wide variety of musical styles if you are going to be playing music, mainly becos it gives you a more rounded view towards it all and you have alot more to bring to the table, so to speak.
You're so right about practicing with other bandmates, something I REALLY want to do but haven't been able to organise yet. If you see bands that have been playing together for a long time, you can just feel their chemistry with each other. I saw Ozomatli and they would just bust out into awesome jams at a moments notice, its a wonderful thing. The whole spontanity (sp?) of it all is what i love, becos everyone is feeling the same groove, which is why i find circle drumming so spiritually invigorating.
If i get playing in a nice drum circle, i get taken away to a complete other level and when we finish i feel so refreshed...
One time when i was trippin we played on these rocks on the beach at about 4 in the morning, i was drumming myself into intense closed eye visuals. Now that was beautiful.
star_beats: what did you/do you play? I'm gonna bring my djembe down to cbr (put them in a mates car tho cos i know it wont fit in ures - speakin of which i may not need a lift after all... but at this stage i still do)
Black_Ice: I think i'll do that man, i'd like to hear some of ure stuff, only heard that track from aaages ago. Man we gotta hook up! Havent seen u in ages :)
Adikkal

I've done just about everything when it comes to music... It's been something that has been a part of my life since I started playing piano when I was 4.
*Piano is something that i have continued throughout.
*I love to sing :) and have sung with numerous alternative and jazz bands and major vocal ensembles.... muscials are also a passion
*my alto saxophone is my baby... played in many musicals, jazz bands and other ensembles..
*on top of these I've played about 4 other instruments for short periods of time
Music for me used to be a really public thing... With performances etc. It's now become really personal, something I only do when no-one else is at home... something I do for myself. This is something I would like to change... we'll see :)
xx

/me hugs this thread.
It's so refreshing to hear that there are others out there that share the same passion for music. Music is my life, listening and playing. Whilst ability wise (guitar), I'm quite competent, but still have a lot more that I want to learn, and love being able to feed off others styles and influences.
There are so many people out there that don't get how important music is to me, and can look through play lists and CD collections and not understand how you can have so many 'conflicting' genre's of music represented, but it's appreciation in general.
One of my best friends has never owned a CD/Tape/Record in his entire 22 years.
I recently just bought my firts 7 string guitar and was by far the best $$$ I spent in a long time.
/me hugs this thread again.
[ 07 January 2003: Message edited by: elevhein ]

Resident under-resourced techno producer right here.
Still in the process of getting myself started back up after the "hardware mishap" of 2000, so once I got my new PC sorted, it's time to get into the production more seriously. Who knows, maybe when I finally get my head around Cubase (shut UP logic ppl!), I might be up for some BL collab, but it's still a while off.
That said...GO THE "TRADITIONAL" MUSOS. Where would we be without you guys?
/me gets out the conga and goes ballistic.

i <3 this thread SOOOO much!! keensydguy: now you've made me more excited (er..) about getting them! i think i'm gonna have to, sometime soon. i'll try to wait 'til after i've found myself a new job, 'cos otherwise my credit card (not to mention my flat mate and real estate agent :) ) will kill me!
and oopsz: that's cool, i could totally see myself being immersed in this, and doing nothing else. practice practice as you said.
fuck i love music. it's the one thing that i *totally* obsess over...lol, my cd collection is all over the place too, like elevhein was saying - i just love good *music* - there's very few genres that i can't get into at all, there's usually an album or two at least that i enjoy.
!brad
[edit: apparently my excitement led me to forget how to actually string a sentence together :p ]
[ 07 January 2003: Message edited by: onetwothreefour ]

1234 - well then my friend, i think buying a set of decks will serve you marvellously. You have the passion, the rest will come with practice.
Much love to the beats :)
Adikkal

Well I'm always a super-keen musical collaborator. Only problem is, I currently don't have an instrument.
I originally started playing guitar as a young fella. A couple of months ago, I finally made the decision to sell my guitar. It took me 2 years to make that decision, but I just wasn't inspired to do anything with it any more.
For the past few months Ive been buying records and practicing mixing.
Wanna seriously get into electronic music production this year. Looking at buying a synth soon, and teaming up with friends.
Til then, its pluggin away at Fruity Loops.
And I'm always interested in talking to other musically creative people and hearing their ideas ie. this thread

I've been a musician all my life. I was very lucky that my parents fueled my artistic side at a young age and got me piano lessons when i was 5 or so. I never practised and quit at about age 12, but the style of lessons really trained my ear. I can't read music to save myself, but 90% of the time if someone names a tune I know, I can play it by ear - which is a cool party trick
I also compose many of my own pieces - at the moment I'm looking for a talented female vocalist / lyricist to accompany my compositions and perform at some lounges I occasionally jam at.
Music is the ice on the cake of my life. In the future I see myself working an incredibly mundane 9-5 (hopefully high paying) city job - the only thing to fulfil my life being of course companionship and a fucking WICKID production studio decked out with my list of dream gear. I couldn't care less for which car I drive - my creative outlet would leave little in my life to be desired. Already just using a computer based setup jamming on my controller keyboard I can spend many nights producing my own tunes- having a ball doing it.
1234 - If you really want something which will really stimulate your creative side, I would probably invest in one of those new groove-box type pieces of equipment (Korg make some nice ones, or the Yamaha rm1x) - they're very easy to use and the creative possibilities far outnumber just tempo-matching two records and twiddling a crossfader. For the price of 2 SL1200s and a decent mixer, you could get probably 2 quality pieces of equipment. Djing sure is fun, but I find after you've gotten your beatmixing down pat the novelty wears thin fairly quick.

Opiate: bummer you're in melb... otherwise I would have said "lets meet up and throw some ideas around, have a jam" :)
Hardicus: Cubase takes practice man!!! that program is so frustrating, but brings the results eventually :)
Adikkal: I listened to the piece you posted.... it is mad shit!!!!!
Everyone contributing to this thread: you rock!!! ;)

Everyone contributing to this thread: you rock!!!
i rock! and all i had to do was reply :)
but seriously, horsey get your shit togeather and lets jam sometime, u live just down the road!