Votes: 16 18.0%
  • [IMG]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/IMG]

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 18 20.2%

• Total voters

continuousbeing2

Bluelighter
Just came back from seeing this, and I must say it was very good. At times, it tried to be a little too indie, but it definitely delivered the goods. I highly recommend it to everyone here.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467406/

juno-poster2-big.jpg

I was a bit disapointed by this. Not that it was bad per se but it was being billed as "the best movie of the year" or some shit.
I didn't dig the humor. I maybe laughed twice, one of which was the line "I bought another Sonic Youth album and it sucked. It's just noise". It's funny cause it's true.
Of course the critics are having orgasms about how clever and "smart" the humor is. I guess in a way it is but I really can't stand humor that's based entirely in cynicism. And 95% of the humor is about mocking middle-class white suburbia. Of course you got your razor sharp teens and your bumblingly clueless grown-ups. This kind of humor has done before (to death, IMO) and done better (like in, say, Election).
Now part of me thinks "Hey, maybe I don't like it because I'm not the target demographic anymore". But I dunno. I liked Superbad. I thought Superbad was ten times better than this.
However, I did like the last 30 minutes when it turned into more of a serious drama. However, that's probably the point where the 16 year olds started to think it got boring. Again, maybe I'm not the target demographic.

^^^

I too liked the film but thought it was going to be much funnier. It was basically a drama with a few silly bits here and there, and it was advertised as a comedy.

supertrav, sonof - if a movie doesn't meet your expectations, is the movie entirely to blame for that?

i saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it - the writing was quirky but believable, the characters were real and easy to relate to and the acting was not overstated. i love seeing alison janney in anything and i also really enjoyed the performance of the actor playing juno's dad: jk simmons

alasdair

alasdairm said:
supertrav, sonof - if a movie doesn't meet your expectations, is the movie entirely to blame for that?

The advertising (trailer, mainly) for the film made me think that the film was going to be a certain way, which it wasn't. The film was still good in it's own right, just different from what I expected.

I think the trailer showed just about every funny part of the film, I hate when that happens. At least in this case the rest of the film was still good.

^
That's why I've stopped watching a lot of previews to movies. Beyond knowing some actors/actresses in it or a basic idea of what kind of movie it is, I don't like to know anything.

A lot of times when I've had an expectation of a movie or thought it was going to be different because of the previews, it's always taken a second viewing to appreciate it more.

Saw this last night and I liked it; pretty unique and clever film compared to everything else out there right now. Worth seeing in my opinion!

I liked it. It was a little "movie of the week" at times, and I never really laughed uproariously, but it was clever and had a nice hopeful message. The soundtrack is what clinched it for me, though.

the soundtrack has Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, Buddy Holly, and the Kinks on it. that is a very eclectic mix.

I wanted to see the movie before, but now I am even more upset that I have not seen it yet.

Last edited:
I really liked the title song...

Barry Louis Polisar - All I Want Is You

pennywise said:
I really liked the title song...

Barry Louis Polisar - All I Want Is You

Having this song as the opening title song was genius, I was hooked from the moment it kicked in. Hell, I even bought the soundtrack because of it.

i have to agree with alasdair, janney and simmons were absolutely brilliant in this. and overall, i'd say it was a good movie. not as laugh-out-loud funny as i think some people might've been hoping, but warm and well-written.

though they could have spent the entire movie in that convenience store with rainn wilson, and i would have paid to see it 100 more times...maybe that's just me.

agreed with everyone here. thought it'd be funnier. despite this expectation on my part, i enjoyed the film from start to finish. it verges on the edge of "quirky for quirky's sake" but never crosses over, which i commend. although my only critique is that the entire sum of humour is solely in the realm of the smart arsed vocabulary and attitude of the protagonist and my laughs were seldom if any, i did smile through the entire film.

4/5

alasdairm said:
i also really enjoyed the performance of the actor playing juno's dad: jk simmons

alasdair

i've <3'd JK Simmons ever since i saw him the first time on Oz, as the totally hardcore badass leader of the aryans. he apparently started his entertainment career as a folk singer. :D

i really did like it. the dialog was a bit.... dawson's creek-esque with the above and beyond discourse and irony... but overall i enjoyed it, i didnt go in with high expectations, though like some of you seemed to hold. just a funny, quirky, darker film about teenage pregnancy.

this movie was pleasantly suprising actually.
i hadn't seen more than like 1 preview for it, but it actually made me crack up more than a few times.
any other time it'd be like a lifetime network material movie, but the dialog is hilarious.

Yeah... I absolutely loved it. Very good dialog driven movies are few and far between nowadays. Plus the crazy leader of the Nazi Aryan brotherhood from OZ is the dad...

in a compassionate role... gotta love the diversity.