View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Link found between marijuana and emphysema

the seeker

Bluelighter
Link between marijuana smoking and early onset of lung disease

Date: 26-04-2006

Regular marijuana smokers are presenting with emphysema 25 years earlier on average than tobacco smokers, according to a new study.

The joint study was undertaken by The Alfred and Monash University and studied patients over 12 months.

Leading researcher Associate Professor Matthew Naughton, Head of General Respiratory and Sleep Medicine, Department of Allergy, Immunology and Respiratory Medicine at The Alfred, said the results were “surprising”.

“We were shocked when we saw the difference in the lung damage between marijuana smokers and tobacco smokers,” Matthew said.

The patients, aged between 28 and 50, presented with symptoms ranging from breathlessness to chest infection and spontaneous pneumothorax (a condition in which air is locked outside the lungs but within the chest wall). All were regular marijuana smokers.

Researchers found the patients had developed large cysts, or holes, in the upper and lower lobes of the lungs. In emphysema associated with tobacco smoking, smaller cysts usually occur in the apex of the lungs.

“We were shocked when we saw the degree to which the lung was damaged and the early age this was occurring,” Matthew said.

“There was a 5 to 10 fold difference in the size of the cysts. Larger cysts are more likely to cause health-related problems such as infection and breathlessness.”

The average age of tobacco smokers presenting with symptoms of emphysema in Australia is 65 whereas emphysema is developing at an average age of 40 in marijuana smokers.

Researchers believe the difference in the breathing manoeuvre and the different, unregulated chemicals in marijuana may be the reason for the early onset of emphysema in this patient group.

"Typical tobacco smokers use filter-tipped cigarettes and, while they may inhale the smoke, they do not hold it in their lungs for long periods," Matthew said.

"In contrast, marijuana is usually smoked in a water-filled pipe (also known as a bong) or a large cigarette without a filter, when the smoke is much hotter than cigarette smoke, and it is held in the chest for longer periods.

"Tobacco is also regulated in terms of its content and the amount of toxins, fungi or chemicals it contains, whereas marijuana grown in people's backyards or parklands is not subject to any such regulation.”

Standard breathing tests and chest X-rays can miss emphysema which may only be identified in high resolution CT scans.

“Bizarre CT scans in our patient group were the trigger alerting us to our findings,” Matthew said.

Marijuana is consumed regularly by 10 per cent of 21-year-olds and two per cent of middle-age people compared with tobacco, which is smoked by 25 per cent of adults. There is little data available on the long-term effect of marijuana on respiratory function.

“I suspect we are seeing the tip of the iceberg with this problem,” Matthew added.

The research was presented at the 2006 Annual Scientific Meeting of the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand at the Canberra National Convention Centre. International and local medical and scientific leaders attended the conference, which focused on advances in the diagnosis and treatment of respiratory diseases that affect millions of people.

http://www.alfred.org.au/articles/news/20060426143502_481.html

This study sounds so contrived....

First of all, they conveniently left out whatever the "control" was in this study. Second of all, they didn't mention or even infer whether they could specifically pin this down on the cannabis smoke, only that everyone was a cannabis smoker (do they also smoke cigs? do they also smoke meth? crack? live by an industrial factory?) And third of all, there would be a hell of a lot more emphysema patients in ICU than there currently are in hospitals throughout the world by now.

Once again, this study sounds very contrived. I wonder... was it funded by government? Hmmmm.....

this study doesn't specify whether the marijuana smoking group smoked marijuana exclusively (for analytical clarity).

ebola

I have been a regular (1-2g/week) cannabis smoker for about 4 years. I haven't been smoking recently (maybe once a week,) nearly as much, however. I have had pretty serious problems with my breathing for the last few years, and I believe it is strongly related to the pot I've been smoking. I take this study relatively seriously. Sure, there are some controls that may have been left out, but they definitely have a point when they refer to differences in the inhalation manoevure between cannabis and tobacco smoking. Since I haven't been smoking as much I've noticed a LOT less anxiety related to my breathing.
I wouldn't ignore this... Just because there is a huge amount of bullshit coming from governments and even medical studies concerning the health effects of regular cannabis use, doesn't mean that every study you see that suggests that cannabis is more harmful to your health than you might want to believe, is also bullshit.

Yeah they honestly dont give very much info on the groups studied. All they included was that they smoke pot lol.

I'm in the UK and for a period of 1.5 years I'd smoke on average 3 hash (Just hash, no tobacco) bongs a night.

Anyway I used to have bad asthma as a kid and now the fucker's finally gone completly and I put this down to smoking yes, smoking *SHOCK! HORROR!* hashish!

That shit opened my lungs up really well! :)

I call bullshit on this study!

mitogen said:
I have been a regular (1-2g/week) cannabis smoker for about 4 years. I haven't been smoking recently (maybe once a week,) nearly as much, however. I have had pretty serious problems with my breathing for the last few years, and I believe it is strongly related to the pot I've been smoking. I take this study relatively seriously. Sure, there are some controls that may have been left out, but they definitely have a point when they refer to differences in the inhalation manoevure between cannabis and tobacco smoking. Since I haven't been smoking as much I've noticed a LOT less anxiety related to my breathing.
I wouldn't ignore this... Just because there is a huge amount of bullshit coming from governments and even medical studies concerning the health effects of regular cannabis use, doesn't mean that every study you see that suggests that cannabis is more harmful to your health than you might want to believe, is also bullshit.

Yeah I have had similar problems, thats why I switched to the weekends only. Thats also why I am inclined to beleive this study.

This just in.... smoking anything will cause lung damage. Pot is not an exception. News at eleven

Gary Gnu said:
This just in.... smoking anything will cause lung damage. Pot is not an exception. News at eleven

Thats insane. Is it on all news channels? I figured someone would have posted the article but I guess Ill just watch the news tonight. Just sorta concerned cuz Ive been smoking a good couple bowls of plastic a day when I fiend. Its tricky tho cuz it tends to melt and get hard around the bowl, I ruined my first glass piece that way so I just started sticking to cheap wood ones.

If you have a dictionary, there is a word that direly needs to be looked up in the S section.

Doesnt smoking through a bong cool and filter smoke?

Last edited:
[/For a matter of fact, no one knows what weed really is. It is not one thing, but rather a group of unrelated substances that are sometimes packed together or sold individually to produce a highly damaging high. "Weed" has known to be partially or fully composed of asbestos, dryed paint, slug bait, grass clippings, old cigarettes, and peanut butter, as well as other substances. The resulting mix is commonly then sprayed with liquid PCP and WD-40 to provide the psychedelic effects that occasionally result. This unpredictable mix makes weed a very deadly drugQUOTE]

WTF? Where did you ge this ridiculus nonsense? Trolling? Come on, you think people are stupid? That is a meaningless contribution. Peanut butter/ LOL The day I get peanut butter instead of weed I will officially give up? LOL8)

Psychedelics_r_best said:
~Researchers believe the difference in the breathing manoeuvre and the different, unregulated chemicals in marijuana may be the reason for the early onset of emphysema in this patient group.

"Tobacco is also regulated in terms of its content and the amount of toxins, fungi or chemicals it contains, whereas marijuana grown in people's backyards or parklands is not subject to any such regulation.”~

For a matter of fact, no one knows what weed really is. It is not one thing, but rather a group of unrelated substances that are sometimes packed together or sold individually to produce a highly damaging high. "Weed" has known to be partially or fully composed of asbestos, dryed paint, slug bait, grass clippings, old cigarettes, and peanut butter, as well as other substances. The resulting mix is commonly then sprayed with liquid PCP and WD-40 to provide the psychedelic effects that occasionally result. This unpredictable mix makes weed a very deadly drug.

all the article said is that marijuana is not regulated like tobacco which is 100% true. if someone doesn't dry it properly fungi can form and if the grower didn't "flush" the plants before harvests they may contain chemicals used for fertilization. you tried to make the people who did this study look stupid and you failed miserably.

edarrin said:
WTF? Where did you ge this ridiculus nonsense? Trolling? Come on, you think people are stupid? That is a meaningless contribution. Peanut butter/ LOL The day I get peanut butter instead of weed I will officially give up? LOL8)

But you do gotta agree that alot of commercial brick weed contains not just the flower but the leaves in it as well (from my experience anyhow) ground up and compressed, and the leaves is what is known to be more carcinogenic than anything if I recall right....

But psy, the last couple sentences you wrote are complete nonsense seriously......Sprayed with pcp? Yeah I dont see them spraying a probably more expensive chemical to make on top of shitty as pot that sells for way low. And if you get peanut butter, or well any of that shit in your pot then someone is out to kill you.

Last edited:
wastedwalrus said:
I knew my decision to switch from weed to opiates was a good idea :)

no no no, bad decision! U need weed + opiates =D

EVERYTHING I've read before this suggests that marijuana smokers have lower rates of emphysema, if only by a small amount. I'll hold out for a more credible study to come to the same conclusion before I worry too much. Of course smoking anything is going to put "tar" in your lungs, so that's besides the point, but causing full-blown emphysema is another.