• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Link found between marijuana and emphysema

Factual studies available on the web
www.letfreedomgrow.com

example

"look at the jamaican report on chronic ganja usage, it at least is valid science backed up by real world observation."

The third person is a quote pasted from above (reading retention?)

Ignored historical facts(denial?)

Did I once ASK you to believe a fargin' thing? No? Did I suggest reading the historical facts? Yes.

Should I care that you disregard what I have to say?8) I think not
Peace.
WR

congratulations on completly missing my point. IM A POTHEAD. im on your side. I'm not talking about whether or not marijuana causes emphysema or not, that is not my argument. and you wanna talk about denial what about the crazy fucks that think they can smoke pot all day long and have no ill effects to the lung. They swear marijuana is absolutly harmless, which is just a plain lie. What I am talking about (people questioning everything) surely you agree with.

Last edited:
wastedwalrus said:
I knew my decision to switch from weed to opiates was a good idea :)

Yeah, switching to something far more phsyically and psychologically addicting as well as more physically dangerous in terms of toxicity and overdose potential is pure genius. 8)

Im pretty sure what wastedwalrus said was somewhat tongue in cheek. i didnt know opiates were toxic?

a couple things.

The way that this article portrays the supposed "study" is in a very bad light. As written, one should come away with the impression that the study was probably flawed from the get go. The same thing is true with most anti-drug articles/studdies hence the hostile attitude towards them on this site. Also, the results from a very large study on cannabis vs tobacco was posted here a while ago. It showed that marijuana only smokers have lower incidence of lung cancer than the general population.

On a side note, some of the best atheletes I know are heavy pot smokers. At my old school, the entire D1 water polo team smoked weed, constantly. Water polo is an extremely taxing sport on the lungs and all of them swore by the power of bong hits to increase lung capacity.

Even if pot ensured lung cancer and emphazima, it isn't the governments job to protect people from themselves. Legalize it :D

the seeker said:
the stupidity of potheads will never cease to amaze me.

people who stereotype never cease to amaze me.

Damn, this is just like all that crud about the "dangers of meth"! Let me explain.

I once had many friends who had smoked insane amounts throughout their lives; none of them have any lung problems. In fact, many of them have very healthy lungs. Some have been smoking for near thirty years and are perfectly fine.

Some of my friends even have asthma and the only thing they could smoke was meth! It's a bronchodilator so it was actually good for their asthma, since it expands the lungs and allows them to breathe more. They smoke tremendous amounts using quags (meth bongs), and say it helps tremendously.

The "meth is bad for the body" stuff is BS. It all comes from government-funded research with inherent biases which misrepresent data so as to skew it toward results supporting further drug prohibition.

;)

No, meth really is bad for the body, and your friends were the exception to the rule. Even though I think people should be able to use meth if they want to, let's at least try not to compare it to pot.

That's the kinda thing that government-funded research does...

Church said:
No, meth really is bad for the body, and your friends were the exception to the rule. Even though I think people should be able to use meth if they want to, let's at least try not to compare it to pot.

That's the kinda thing that government-funded research does...
I was being tongue-in-cheek there actually. To say that meth is benign to the body is silly. To say that it's beneficial is insane. It's just that some of the responses being posted here with anecdotal "proof" that marijuana is harmless/beneficial to the body are no more free of bias than some of the research programs.

Sure, you may know a few old hippies who have been smoking for decades and have healthy lungs. And I'm sure there are quite a few health professioinals out there who have treated everything ranging from "cloudy" degraded thought processes to schizophrenic episodes, all triggered and exacerbated by pot. Funny how, depending on which side someone's on, they'll chose to only to believe one of those (on bluelight, seems most people are going to dismiss the latter).

Nicotine is surely much more harmful than marijuana to the lungs. I'm actually willing to bet that the THC itself is harmless: if you were to vaporize pure THC, there'd be no detriment to the lungs. But wasn't it common sense that burning (incompletely combusting) any organic matter, whether coal or tea leaves, is going to produce toxic byproducts?

I would just like to add that some people can get away with smoking there whole lives, and some people start having problems after only a few years of smoking. Doesn't always matter what it is your smoking. A great way to avoid these problems is to NOT BE LAZY! No matter what I've smoked I would never have a problem breathing until a few years ago when I got lazy! I started getting fresh air, and actually getting off my ass and guess what... my breathing has gotten alot better again! Quiting cigs on top of it really helped alot as well!

It's like they used the lazy do nothing pot heads for the study! It's a given for people like that to have problems.

As far as weed being worse then cigs for your lungs... I can only see something like that being an issue if it were smoked as much as a cig smoker smokes cigs. Not many people smoke as much weed in one day that could weigh out to whats in a pack of cigs. GRANTED some weed isn't as clean as tobacco BUT COME ON!!! How many people smoke garbage weed on a daily basis?

I want to know more about a study before I get all worked up. I would like to know a little more about the people in the study as well. Were they healthy people in the first place? Or were they like I said before, lazy do nothing pot heads that had bad respiratory history in there family?

lol, i have the feeling no matter how legit a pot study is, blers will go into instant denial mode. :\

btw, this same college also found certain cannabis compounds reduce psychosis. Something tells me we'd see a few less denials of the research done then hehe :\

one thing i would be interested to know is if the cannabis smokers were also tobacco smokers.. i recall one time seeing research that suggested the damage to the lungs from combined tobacco and cannabis smoke was much worse than either group on their own. But the fact remains that smoking anything regularly just CANNOT be good for your lungs.. they aren't meant to be covered in tar all the time 8( Anyone who's ever used a tube with dryer sheets to kill the smell has seen how much goop is coming out of your lungs.. imagine how much is staying in there.

Last edited:
fuckin A it reduces psychosis. Its the gods gift. At least they did one legit study.

frizzantik said:
lol, i have the feeling no matter how legit a pot study is, blers will go into instant denial mode. :\

btw, this same college also found certain cannabis compounds reduce psychosis. Something tells me we'd see a few less denials of the research done then hehe :\

one thing i would be interested to know is if the cannabis smokers were also tobacco smokers.. i recall one time seeing research that suggested the damage to the lungs from combined tobacco and cannabis smoke was much worse than either group on their own. But the fact remains that smoking anything regularly just CANNOT be good for your lungs.. they aren't meant to be covered in tar all the time 8( Anyone who's ever used a tube with dryer sheets to kill the smell has seen how much goop is coming out of your lungs.. imagine how much is staying in there.

Very true! But never mind the dryer sheets... that's smoke that has already been filtered in your lungs. Just look at what it does to the inside of a bong! The inside of your lungs are probably even worse!

That is where your wrong. any tarry build up like you describe would have shown on the thousands of chest x-rays pot smokers have had. There is NO documentation of permanent harm only transient bronchial irritation.
Cannabis being a bronchodialator and expectorant, coupled with the lungs ability to collect such debris for expectoration is a completly different mechanism than tobacco smoke.
In short pot smokers by and large expectorate nearly all of the visible waste found in smoke.
That said I do agree that smoking any thing has a degree of harm associated with it, the choice of smoking material determines how much harm is done.
Since history does not document cannabis users dying of lung consumption (or any other affliction due to cannabis) one must conclude that cannabis is one of the safer smoking herbs used by man, despite agenda fueled pollitical studies disputing historical reality.
WR

So if I get emphysema and die can I go down in history as the worlds first cannabis death?

Only if ya ain't huffin' coughin' nails there Gloggawagga. To my knowlege there are no accurately reported and verified deaths from cannabis usage alone to date. So yes you would be making history=D
Headlines read;
Gloggawogga-DEAD!!
sources cite dope induced emphysema!
WR8o

There have been documented cannabis deaths. People with heart problems for example, they could die of heart failure.

But yeah. That's not really cannabis alone.