• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Link found between marijuana and emphysema

gloggawogga said:
So if I get emphysema and die can I go down in history as the worlds first cannabis death?

many cannabis smokers have already gotten emphysema and died. now, would those people haven't gotten it anyway or is there proof it was caused by weed is a different question.

^Well Id like to see a report of cannabis alone being the factor. Not denying it, just saying that I havent heard of these specific cases.

crowbar said:
Inhaling burning plant material is bad for you? Who could have guessed.

LOL! DUuhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Weed=bad. But hey, if you wanna do it, and know what you are getting your self into, go for it. I think people should have the right to pollute their bodies if they wish.

I'd have thought this was a no-brainer.

If you're burning something, prodcing carbon and smoke, and inhaling it into your lungs... then, yeah, it's probably going to wreck your lungs. It's largely an inefficient and unhealthy method of administration, however, a large number of users will deny these obvious health risks, most likely due to a desire to seperate cannabis from the well-publicised health risks of tobacco.

Weed=bad.

If this shocker of a study is all it takes to get one of the safest drugs of all labeled "bad", it really doesn't bode well for the rest of the chemicals we're consuming.

burn842 said:
the report seems to be bullshit but i don't know enough to prove so ifmphysema is caused by carcinogens webMD says no

Pot Smoke: Less Carcinogenic Than Tobacco?
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/113/110884.htm

if you don't know enough to "prove" then how do you know enough to determine its "bullshit"? since you obviously don't even know what emphysema is i think its safe to say youre far less credible than this report, reguardless of how flawed it may be. and emphysema is not caused by carcinogens (they cause cancer) but damage to the lung. furthermore, the artcile you posted says cannabis smoke can contain EVEN MORE carcinogens than tobacco smoke.

"
Both tobacco and cannabis smoke contain the same cancer-causing compounds (carcinogens). Depending on what part of the plant is smoked, marijuana can contain more of these harmful ingredients."

Sorry dude but tobacco related cancer and second hand smoke would have been noticed as problems if they were to have been problems.

Lung problems may have been noticed, but attributing lung problems to tobacco did not occur. Tobacco was “prescribed” as a cure for asthma and other lung ailments in some cases. You have to remember that people back in the day didn’t understand physiology, pathology, cancer or how they may have been connected to tobacco. If you don’t believe me, crack a history book.

Give indigenous people some credit for their powers of observation they were able to describe the other ailments which afflicted them , eh?

First of all, which “culture” are you talking about? Injuns? Or the Chinese? Or the Maya?
If you want to be general…..

Describe lung problem? yes…. understand the physiological causation between environmental hazards and emphysema, heart attack, or cancer …..? Umm no. This has not been shown to be the case based on the archeological record.

if their people regularly died of wasting or lung cancer they would not have noticed it?

People likely did, but had no understanding of the environmental factors that were causing it. These folks didn’t understand what germs were, how in the hell do you think they would be able to connect smoking to emphysema?

yet they noticed the effects of the plants the lived among had on their health as medicines?

There is a direct causality between taking a medicinal plant and seeing a health outcome. Trying to compare herbal medicine and modern medical diagnosis is silly. Apples and oranges.

the only part you got right is how it was used... safely, ritualisticly,ocassionaly.That is the long history of "safe" use. Not chronicly,addictively,and chemicaly prepared to deliver the toxin most efficiently.

Why thanks  At least I got one thing right.

People in ancient times and in neolithic and paleolithic cultures only lived to be about 40 years old. Most tobacco related illness affect people over 50. So really, in these societies people who abused tobacco were more likely to die from something else before the tobacco got to them.

Now in todays society, life expectancy is into the 70's, and if you eat well, don't get fat, and take care of your self, you should live into your 80's. So any habit that you start as a teenager and continue for your entire life, you are going to have that habit for 60 or 70 years. Thats a very long time to be smoking anything, and enough time for almost anything to damage you.

I'm 43 and I've been smoking weed on and off for 31 years. My lungs are fine now but I figure at some point I'm gonna have to switch to oral consumption to give up or severely cut back on smoking, if I wanna get another 43 years out of these lungs.

Last edited:
Risk/benefit

I would be happy if i died at 55 smoking pot.

I would be unhappy if i died at 80 doing nothing, feeling like shit around the clock, but PERFECTLY HEALTHY!!

mrsteveman1 said:
I would be happy if i died at 55 smoking pot.

I would be unhappy if i died at 80 doing nothing, feeling like shit around the clock, but PERFECTLY HEALTHY!!

but your big mistake is, its not either or. there are many other ways to have fun than smoking pot everyday. why kill yourself when doing something as simple as using a vaporizer, making brownies or smoking only on the weekends could extend your life another 25 years? secondly, if you think not smoking pot = feeling like shit around the clock and doing nothing, you have serious problems.