• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Alcohol is deadlier than ecstasy, says Government's drugs adviser

Morb

Bluelighter
Alcohol is more harmful and causes more deaths than the drug ecstasy, a leading scientist who advises the Government on drug safety is warning.

Professor David Nutt, a senior member of the drugs panel which recommended the downgrading of cannabis, is calling for the current system of drugs classification to be widened, to reflect the dangers posed by excessive drinking.

The addiction expert says only 10 premature deaths a year in the UK can be blamed on ecstasy, compared with at least 22,000 attributable to drinking. He highlights the fact that alcohol is exempt from an official system of harm rating despite being the cause of 10,000 assaults a year, unlike ecstasy, which is not linked with violence.

Professor Nutt says in the latest edition of the journal Psychopharmacology that the Tory leader, David Cameron, is "correct in his logic" in suggesting that E, currently a class A drug, should be in a lower category than drugs such as heroin and cocaine.
The scientist, who chairs the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) technical committee, writes: "Why is ecstasy illegal when alcohol, a considerably more harmful drug, is not? When we consider that the possession of a drug that is much less dangerous than alcohol can lead to a seven-year prison sentence, whereas alcohol use is actively promoted, perhaps David Cameron did not go far enough."

But Professor Nutt's comments have enraged drugs prevention charities, who say he is wrong to compare the harm caused by drugs such as ecstasy with the effect on health from excessive drinking.

"Ecstasy kills at random and there is a lot of cumulative harm," said David Raynes from the National Drugs Prevention Alliance. "Although there is a lot of harm from alcohol, very few people just die from drinking alcohol, but they do die from taking E. If the Government does downgrade E, then it sends a signal that it's less harmful than it was before."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Alcohol is deadlier than ecstasy, says Government's drugs adviser
By Sophie Goodchild, Chief Reporter
Published: 07 May 2006
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article362535.ece

[Poster's Comment]

You have to think his name is hurting him here. You don't have to allude to it or pronounce it emphatically, just the unconscious association couldn't be more pleasing to the establishment. Nutt notwithstanding, instead of saying why is alcohol legal when it kills thousands more people, he needs to say alcohol is legal because of the money it makes. And how weak is that cumulative harm crap? 22000 vs a few and alcohol is at least as neurotoxic as any other pure drug (not solvent or aerosol etc), to make that argument, how can you even speak the words?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Although there is a lot of harm from alcohol, very few people just die from drinking alcohol, but they do die from taking E."
David Raynes from the National Drugs Prevention Alliance

That is one of the dumbest statements i have ever heard.

I beg to differ: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1091

And that data excludes alcohol-related traffic deaths, homicides and suicides.

So, using england and wales in 2003 as a test case, there were about 23 deaths per 100,000 people due just to alcohol consumption (with a population of about 53million, obtained from the same statistics gov. website, gives us a total of roughly 12,200 deaths in 2003 from alchol drinking ALONE)....

Now compare that with the total deaths from all drug use (obtained from the same website) in 2003, which was 2445, 33 of those which were directly related to MDMA/ecstasy.

That means that in England and wales in 2003, MORE THAN 360 TIMES AS MANY PEOPLE DIED FROM ALCOHOL DRINKING (excluding drunk driving accidents and other non-alcohol drinking causes of death) THAN FROM TAKING E.... and less people would probably die from E if they were more educated and it was tested, things which would happen more often if it were less illegal.

David Raynes needs to grow a brain and learn some math skills or shut the hell up.

Last edited:
haha yeah wtf... "very few people just die from drinking alcohol" ahhhhhh i think there is something called alcohol poisoning

I nearly pissed myself with shock while reading this article, until I got to the end.... I thought there was finally a sane voice in the science world being reported by the media. But I was wrong. It came with the usual bogus caveat.

that freaking threw me off reading it twice there like that, but that is clearly idiotic and whatnot but shouldnt you look into the death statistics before blurting that out for the media to have a feild day with

^^more like "so controlled by lobbiest and moralists".

Professor David Nutt, a senior member of the drugs panel which recommended the downgrading of cannabis, is calling for the current system of drugs classification to be widened, to reflect the dangers posed by excessive drinking.

The addiction expert says only 10 premature deaths a year in the UK can be blamed on ecstasy, compared with at least 22,000 attributable to drinking.

Dumbest remark ever... the number of people who regularly drink is way higher than the number of ecstasy users, and most people who drink get drunk alot more often in a year than ecstasy users get high on e.

I'll probably get bashed for making this remark, but I'm seriously pissed of that a scholar can make such a dumb error.

(this little rant has nothing with my opinion on the legal status of ecstasy, though)

Gonna say that too!

I love my Ecstasy, but its common sence that will tell you that probably 15,000/1 more people drink alcohol than take ecstasy so its no wonder that more people die from Alcohol than Ecstasy.

And not all but most people who die from Drinking are alcoholics that drink nearly every minute of every day eccept when they are sleeping!

If you took E's nearly every minute of every day eccept when you were sleeping then i dont think you would be alive either!

They are 2 completely different drugs that cant be compared.

TheSimpsons

i love he says E kills at random as an argument for its current standing

ummm, i believe everything besides capital punishment kills at random. I think we should all be aware that at any moment, our lives could be taken. make lightning schedule A too

Not many people who do ecstasy want to take the drug or be on it every minute of the day except for a limited few (not very many). As for alcohol, it attracts much more people and even more people like it, resulting in more people drinking on a daily basis. Doing any drug on a daily basis will result in some sort of harm if you think about it..

[nl]mdma said:
Dumbest remark ever... the number of people who regularly drink is way higher than the number of ecstasy users, and most people who drink get drunk alot more often in a year than ecstasy users get high on e.

I'll probably get bashed for making this remark, but I'm seriously pissed of that a scholar can make such a dumb error.

(this little rant has nothing with my opinion on the legal status of ecstasy, though)
^^^Exactly. More people drink. More people die from alcohol.

StaffWriter said:
Exactly. More people drink. More people die from alcohol.
Yes, more people drink than take ecstasy, but (in the UK at least) the difference is nowhere near the order of magnitude suggested by the difference in death rates. That is, there aren't 2000 times more drinkers than ecstasy takers.

However there is some truth in what you say. The ratio of alcohol drunk to ecstasy taken (by the whole nation, in a year) will perhaps be closer to 2000 since those who drink tend to do so on a more regular basis and alcohol has much greater addiction potential (and therefore more addicts) than e.

So should we conclude they are in fact equally dangerous? In my opinion, no, because the habit-forming nature of alcohol is one of the very things that makes it dangerous. Even if one dose of ecstasy is more likely to kill you, it's less likely to make you keep coming back for more. So in the long run, you will be better off taking the e.

StaffWriter said:
^^^Exactly. More people drink. More people die from alcohol.
compare 12,200 to 33

there are more than 370 times as many alcohol drinkers as ecstasy users?

That was a good article, until I reached the end. >.< People don't die from "just" drinking alcohol? Right...

heh, people dont generally die from taking just ecstasy. it's usually A. combination of ecstasy with other drugs B. contaminents in ecstasy pill C. excessive activity with no break or liquid in a hot environment D. being a huge idiot and drinking a couple gallons of water in a couple hours

so let's say mdma is legalized...

* Combining strong stimulants, MAOIs, Ritonavir, or certain other drugs may cause a fatal reaction.
* At high doses, take care to take breaks from activity, and drink water to cool down.
* Drinking any more than X glasses per hour may be damaging.
* Frequest or heavy usage may lead to depression and other psychological problems
* 120mg 3,4-MethyleneDioxyMethAmphetamine. Certified contaminent-free by the FDA. Made in Freetopia

how many deaths do you think would be cut down?

Last edited:
If the Government does downgrade E, then it sends a signal that it's less harmful than it was before."

Less harmful then they were willing to admit before sure

Morb said:
he is wrong to compare the harm caused by drugs such as ecstasy with the effect on health from excessive drinking.

You see kids, ecstasy goes beyond effect on health. What ecstasy does is pure ditstilled 100% harm. However, alcohol may only possibly have bad effects. Proven by scientific studimagigers!

Morb said:
Ecstasy kills at random.

Ohhhh yes it does. From within the bowers of hell it sits and waits, then lashes out at you when you least expect it, mutilating your body and turning you into a slave of satan.

Morb said:
"Although there is a lot of harm from alcohol, very few people just die from drinking alcohol, but they do die from taking E."

You see, the thousands of people who die each year from alcohol consumption dont "just die", they might be tricking us by lying very very still.
But ecstasy, oh yes, it kills. Cruelly, mercillesly, it will single you out, make you suffer, and "just die"!

TheSimpsons said:
Gonna say that too!

I love my Ecstasy, but its common sence that will tell you that probably 15,000/1 more people drink alcohol than take ecstasy so its no wonder that more people die from Alcohol than Ecstasy.

And not all but most people who die from Drinking are alcoholics that drink nearly every minute of every day eccept when they are sleeping!

If you took E's nearly every minute of every day eccept when you were sleeping then i dont think you would be alive either!

They are 2 completely different drugs that cant be compared.

TheSimpsons[/

What about the guy that took in excess of 40,000 e pills over the course of 9 years, for a few years 25 pills a day every day? he's alive