Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 2 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genasirus

Bluelighter
Check out the first 6 pages of the Bluelight communities favourite flicks >>>here<<< !
What have you been watching? Whats good about it and whats bad about it - from the latest Rocky through to some obscure French flick - if it floats your boat then let us all know about it :)
------------------------------------
"Bowling for Columbine"
This is currently only showing at the Jam Factory (Chapel Street) and Rivoli Cinemas in Camberwell (I think possibly the Nova as well) as far as Village in metro Victoria is concerned.
I'd be happy to have this film show at 8:30 pm on every channel, nationally Sunday night. It is a documentary style piece by Michael Moore.
The film focuses on everything from violence in video games, Marilyn Manson, gun control, racism, media control, the American society as a whole, the history of America, comparisons between the problems in American society and other 1st world countries through to real footage of the Columbine massacres and associated.
The ground covered is truly phenomenal and the real shame is the people who need to see this film most will probably never know it exists.
A wake up call and a reality check for so many of us, especially at a time when our planet as a whole is standing upon the precipice of major conflict, and America is spear heading that confrontation.
If you consider yourself an intelligent person you must see this film. From outright hilarity through to some of the most powerful and heart breaking images and sounds I have ever witnessed. Truly a master piece of our time.
12 out of 10.
Also dont forget folks, for in depth discussion of this and any other movie, Bluelight has its own specific forum for those of us willing to step outside of Aus Social. Visual and Performing Arts Forum
[ 19 January 2003: Message edited by: Genasirus ]

8 mile :eminem does not make one facial expression for the 2 hours.
I give it 2 stars
icon16.gif
icon16.gif

I like fishing.

Just watched Snatch for the second time last night- and it was just as good as the first! fucking great film. If any of you liked Lock Stock and two smoking barrels then this is def. a movie for you. Great directing, very entertaining cast and a nicely twisted plot.. awsome film :)

i just watched blade 2
was fucking brillant i thought...did anyone notice they used insect sounds in teh fight scenes making them seem more agile etc...that was pretty wack i thought :p
all in all loved it except the ending was very weaked and sucked :( not happy with that

even though it is 3 years old, i thought this movie deserves a mention.
It is called Blood Surf. i can safely say, it is the worst movie ever made, but has a certain coolness to it. i really don't know how to explain it. i saw it today and was utterly amazed.
it has Kate Fisher in it. it is about someone making a doco on two surfer doing what they call blood surfing. releasing blood into the water to attract sharks and then surfing into shore with sharks chasing them.
i was amazed at how crap the graphics were when they tried to depict a shark chasing a wave, and i didn't think it could get any worse. and then the 31ft australian saltwater crocodile shows up. that just took it into another league of crapness. in the end there are only two chicks and one surfer left, and they are being chased on land by the croc, they then run across a freshwater creek, and the crocodile doesn't follow them, because he is a salty, and apparantly in this movie, saltwater crocs are afraid of freshwater. hahaha, that made me laugh so hard, because the croc stood on the other side of the creek for hours, because it was afraid to go in.
you have to see this movie, just to see how crap it is. you will have a good laugh, at what is meant to be a horror/thriller. it is cool in it's own crap way!

^^ I have seen Blood Surf.
Awesome movie for all thw wrong reasons :p I thought it was simply hilarious at how bad it was.
Still my worst movie ever award goes to "Chicken Park" which was a take off of Jurassic Park. I just remember at one stage a woman was getting pleasured by a giant chickenperforming a kind of cunnilingus.
Blade 2 was a terrible movie, sorry to disagree with you there Doof but I though it was a pale washout version compared to the first. The computer graphics were easily spotted in the fight scenes, there were WWF moves and how the fuck can light from a 'sunlight grenade' travel around corners? :p
I recently saw About A Boy starring Hugh Grant and found it bloody hilarious. I was apprehensive initially thinking it would be his typical bumbling englishman finding an unlikely soulmate but it was true gold. The ending was rather lame and hollywood but the first half is priceless, some of his bastard quotes are gold.
[ 20 January 2003: Message edited by: Shnouzerpuff ]

I watched "Cube" the other morning after being out all night...Its about a group of people that get stuck in a gigantic cube made of smaller cubes all fitted together!? Pretty pathetic movie really now i think about it, but fuck it was fun as a scattered saturday movie! Completely and utterly did my head in...! Anyone else seen it?

cube is absolutely not "pathetic". sorry to disagree with you here. it is a psychological mind fuck. it is really entertaining and really makes you think. its a fantastic movie IMHO.
if you liked cube, go and see Pi. Pi = good.
CB.

Bowling For Columbine
Effectively this film is a great explanation for WHY America is how it is today. However it does make it very easy for people to go, watch it and say "this is terrible, but its in America". Bullshit, its happening here, and now, and everywhere. If you watch this, and then come home and agree that the problems with lebanese people and asian people are terrible, you are a fucking idiot, this film is about a universal truth.
Watch it.
-plaz out-

Originally posted by pill_popping_babe:
I watched "Cube" the other morning after being out all night...Its about a group of people that get stuck in a gigantic cube made of smaller cubes all fitted together!? Pretty pathetic movie really now i think about it, but fuck it was fun as a scattered saturday movie! Completely and utterly did my head in...! Anyone else seen it?
i have to disagree there too...i thought the cube was an excellent movie and the underlaying message was very interesting ;)
and yes i agree that blade 2 wasnt as good as blade :D

Hmmm...I agree that cube was a "psychological mind fuck", but i don't know... I was expecting a better ending maybe? Or maybe I should just watch it again in a normal frame or mind and then get back to you on it...? ;)

Cube was fantastic.
A really good movie for such a low budget film. Though the ending was very very annoying, didnt really give me the closure that I needed.
I hear rumours of a Cube 2 being filmed?

I cant believe you people actually enjoyed Cube! *shakes her head in amazement*
That movie has to be one of the worst and most gratuitous movies I have ever seen... the plot was so thin. Tho what disturbed me more was that a girl I knew actually studied that film in yr10 social studies... I mean ok the movie was about a strange kinda social interaction, but I'm rather against gratuitous violence....
I still stand by the fact that that has to be the worst movie I have ever seen.
stace.

I thought that the cube was pretty cool too. Sure it's not the best movie ever, but the concept and execution wasn't so bad. It sure beats most of the other crap that they put on late at night or early in the morning :) like Police Academy 8....
Anyways, for all of you hardcore Cube fans, here's a link to the trailer for Cube 2: Hypercube! Enjoi
http://www.cinema.com/trailers/item.phtml?ID=7278

"Donnie Darko"
Possibly one of the best things I've seen, one hell of a story that raises some amazing questions and presents them in spectacular fashion.
I'll never look at a rabbit the same way. Could put a lot more detail in here but would honestly detract from it. Go hire this, sit down, give it your full attention and be amazed.
Again, 10 out of 10

I also just saw 'Donnie Darko'.
It was a pretty freaky trip and I liked it, but I think Ive gotta see it again so I can piece the storyline together in my head. But Im a bit slow like that.
Like one thing I still dont understand is- why was it set in 1988? I thought it was such a modern, sign-o-the-times kinda movie.
For now Im gonna give it 8 stars.

Donnie Darko! Yes, this movie heralds as the best movie i have seen in a long time. It was interesting, and the further into it you get, the weirder it becomes... i like unpredictable movies, so i thought this was good stuff...
Oh, and Cube was a great movie also, IMHO... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.