• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How do you limit your personal drug use?

sonicnature

Bluelighter
What measures do you put in place to limit your personal drug use?

For example - I never, ever put myself in debt for a drug. If I cant afford it, I go without. I also hide things around the house when I'm stoned, so I forget where I put them, and then discover them one day unexpectedly. Nothing better than a surprise :) and you are not tempted to devour everything you have in your possession, at once.

Usually I never have a 'stash'. I usually only buy what I need for that particular session.

im high at a maximum of once per week. this includes pot and anything. ecsatsy once per three weeks or less, im going to move it to one or two months though (...after my next roll:)). tripping once a month or less.

i dont really have much of a stash. a LOT of morning glories, but i quit those, did them a lot over summer, almost never really tripped off them, and got a lot of visual problems like plastic cartoon trees.

i also dont have much access to drugs, since most of my friends are straight. its a 2 hr drive to where i get my E

so... would my limits hold if i had good access? i like to think so

I tend to have a nice feedback loop... once I find myself using drugs too often (as is the case with Benzos, Psychedelics or pot - I'm not sure about opiates though), I freak out, and the high becomes less satisfying, forcing me to stop using for a while. This is especially true if I use Psychedelics too often (I end up having a why-the-fuck-did-I-take-this? trip).

As for opiates, I don't know, so I try to get them only from impermanent sources. Same with stimulants, if I ever use them.

As for caffeine, alcohol and tobacco, these drugs are only useful in small, spaced-out ammounts. If I do more, I get sick.

I tend not to make schedules or plans anything like that because I am horrible at following such things.

^same happens with me with pot
if i smoke it more than once a week, i get a bad high
sort of a built in moderation feature

I seem to have built in self limiting mechanisms. I live in a city where I have access to any and every common drug such as quality LSD, mushrooms, cannabis, quality MDMA and you name it. I guess it's a difference in personalities, but drugs don't pull at me very hard at all. Once every six weeks to three months I'll have a long weekend or some free time and decide it would be fun to explore an altered state or spend a night out dancing with some chemical stimulus.

More practically speaking, I don't ever keep a stash of anything in the house. I find that when I do, those 'windows of opportunity' somehow seem to occur at much more frequent intervals.

I use weed about once every four months, mushrooms about every two months and MDMA perhaps every three months (but with each MDMA trip I am less and less interested in it)

I only do drugs on a reward basis. If I have a good month or its been a tough week then getting high is my reward for getting through it. I try to stick to some sort of schedule too.

I simply fear tolerance and losing the high if I do it to often. That limits my personal drug use.

^^^
The reward system is a great idea and if it works in practice for you - wow.

Also, I've found that the circular thought pattern of:

I did too much coke -> I feel shitty about doing to much coke -> Then do more coke -> Then get pissed at myself for not stopping when I should of -> Back to the beginning again

Is quite destructive. I enjoy having a baggie of coke in my stash - and leaving it there. I've had coke in my stash for a year or so at a time and not done it just to prove to myself I have the willpower to moderate my usage. It's also good to stop before you're out. The ability to push away those lines and go to bed is a hard won skill.

With MDMA, I find it's self-limiting also - I simply just don't want to do it again for a while after a roll. I don't want to lose the magic (again).

With Meth - My only surefire way to ENSURE that I don't stay up 24 hours is to have GHB to put me out at the end of the night. Benzo's don't do it for me. Without GHB there is no moderation for meth with me.

Opiates - I've only tried morphine (pills) and percs they scare the shit out of me. There is something about being physically dependant that just feels so desperate.

self control =D i notice as I get older it's much easier to not use, especially if the negatives begin to outweigh the positives. once smoking cigs became disgusting and made me feel like shit, i quit. if i use opiates for too many days in a row, tolerance makes your shit less valuable, and withdrawls are no fun either. I still don't have a lot of self control with pot, though i became addicted to that long before i had much self control at all. It's still very enjoyable for me and not a terrible financial burden, so it's hard to convince myself not to use =D

Last edited:
I tend to avoid spending time around massive drug users.

I purchase only what I need.
I don't have anything to do with 'tick.
Worst case scenario - I realise when I've gone too far, smoke a few joints and pass out.

I usually only give myself access to a certain amount of money for the night, that way i can't go and buy more

I give myself the reward thing by accomplishing a personal task, and some of the time that accomplishment is a drug that I've dreamed for ingestion!

I use psychedelics/dissociatives at least once a month.
I try to limit it to once a month but I got slightly carried away with Ketamine since I wanted to k-hole so bad but I always kept that to once a week so I wouldn't build tolerence.
Once - Three times a month I use some kratom or something similar (hydrocodone). I always have a stash though now. It's something I like to have because I hate waiting on dealers to come down. I also don't smoke weed anymore just makes me feel retarded and gets me really hazy for a few weeks afterwards.

I don't know. I just don't. I think about the negative effects too much use can have and just don't do it.

I've generally tried to live with health in mind, as its something I've been relatively blessed with, so I figure, why ruin a good thing?

When I started my drug use, I was overly cautious, as I was pretty uneducated. Eventually I'd smoke out several times a week, but never noticed any negative health effects from that ... I kept my usage steady with tolerance in mind over anything.

Only with opiates did I lose my self-control, as my finances spiraled out of control along with my escalating opiate use ... but opiates are probably the least damaging of the drugs (provided you aren't injecting), so from a health standpoint, my opiate binges didn't even matter.

Only with cigarettes (which I never enjoyed), alcohol (abused thanks to its quasi-legal status) and amphetamines (nothing makes me feel worse) did I ever feel my drug use overtaking my health concerns ... crashing on amphetamines, or getting burnt out from MDxx, is the worst feeling I can possibly think of. Solitary drinking and hardcore hangovers after binges were enough to show me I really was moving past my limits ... and looking at how much $$ I had blown on opiates and all else scared me knowing I'll soon be supporting myself entirely, so I've quit all but opiates out of health concerns (which I cannot afford to buy now anyhow).

Even in my times of heaviest usage the 12-18 months, I generally tried to keep in shape through running/weight-lifting once or twice each a week, this helped me feel I was mitigating the negative effects of substance abuse ... but lately I've realized that's a pretty weak justification for continued substance abuse; its amazing how good and healthy I can feel from weeks of sobriety, combined with continued physical exercise and a quality diet :)

i limit myself to psychedelics. since they are difficult to find and can be very overwhelming i have no problem controlling my use.

I only do hard drugs at raves. The only hard drug I do is E. At one point not too long ago I was taking 5 pills a night. But now. I only bring enough money with me to the rave to do 2 pills.

Used to have a running relationship with mah coke dealer on tues- and friday to drop off a gram of yay and a dub sack of the bubonic chronic. Eventually that gram turned into 2, then 3, then 3.5... Was gettin out of control for about 2 weeks before I realized it was becoming too much of a habit. (Not that I couldn't pay, that was ez, just that I was spendin so much dough and time on it.)

My deal now is just to not use during the week and on the weekend mah dealer will drop off what I want which is usually less and I now have quite a bit of extra cash in my pocket. Tolorance is down to zero now and living sober through the week is refreshing, plus when I do get to party on the weekend it's extra special.

I just recommend saving your drugs for a good time (weekends, birthdays, ect) and not just trying to stay high all the time, dulls the expirience and leaves you bored.

My kids. We have a policy to not be high on anything when the kids are awake, or when they are not with a sitter. That kind of limits things. Don't know what I'll do about that when they get older.

Also, don't really have a reliable regular dealer, just a couple of friends who do favours, so that sort of limits things as well.

Nicotine ... used to smoke all the time, now only if I'm drunk and in a pub/bar where others are smoking ... and that may end soon with new smoking laws.

Caffeine ... hell, I'm a morning coffee addict.

Alcohol. One G&T or wine at the end of the day weeknights, and Wine over the weekend, usually. Not as good at limiting the wine, but finances and snobby tastes usually limit things for me :\