• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How do you limit your personal drug use?

Living with your parents will strangely curtail opportunities for drug use. Not that's the main reason why I'm still living at home! (it's cheaper)

How do I limit my drug use? Remind myself I would have to deal with comedowns on work days. Remind myself it's not cheap to use often. Keep yourself busy on weekends by doing non-drug things with non-drug friends.

Pot is not a drug. Therefor, I do not limit that.. it seems that economic status does it for me.

Otherwise, I try to keep psychedelic use to a maximum of once a month, and tobacco use to a maximum of one a day. But since I've met Djarum Indonesian clove ciggs, I've felt a lot better about smoking.

I think one of the best ways to not use drugs is to employ a method called rational recovery. As opposed to the disease model of addiction (proposed by AA etc.), rational recovery says that drug addiction is not a disease, it is a choice.

In other words, you can simply choose not to use drugs. When ever I get clean, I find this strategy to be very helpful.

This thread is great. Since reading through it I've realized that I haven't been following my rules very strictly latley. Anymore I just feel satisfied after a good high, regaurdless of what it is, and I really have no desire for it again for a few weeks. This however isn't a very good system as the period of staisfaction keeps getting shorter and shorter, and I realized how much I've spent in the last few months. Time to slow it down for awhile.

Does anyone else here ever just fiend for having the drugs in your possesion? Sometimes I swear I'm addicted to being in possesion, and may not use for months, but just knowing I COULD get high keeps me satisfied. Whenever I've been w/o goodies for a long time (not nessecarily using), I start to get itchy. This is strange though, as due to previous legal experiences I hate carrying drugs around if I'm not going to do them...its stupid.

Also, whatever is going on in my life has a big impact on my desire. If I've been bogged w/ school/work, I generally want to get high more. However if I'm doing other stuff like snowmobiling or something really fun getting high has no appeal to me. My mind just needs some sort of intense stimulation to stay satisfied I guess.

limit myself to weekend use only.. of course ive done it on nonweekends a few times, but seldomly.. although, does this even matter? i hate my life, all i live for is that weekend drug use so i am forget about hating my life.. so is my limited use even something to care about? if i used everyday would it be worse?

^ Yes, because if you used every day, you would most likely lose the good effects of the drugs you are taking. So that will leave you with no weekend drug-fun, and everyday life-hating and have a drug addiction on top.

Without the bitterneess, sweetness wouldn't taste so sweet.

Some people should be avoided because they are really fun to party with. Meet them on a Friday but not a Monday!

Others should be avoided because even though they might not be that great to party with, they are always partying.

I try to limit myself by only doing drugs or drinking between certain times. Not before 7pm or after 1am.

I just do drugs when I feel like it. I'm completely bored of all non-psychedelics though, so I don't tend to overindulge these days.

i'm broke and not particularly inclined to steal from anyone. that limits my drug use, heh.

Well, I haven't done meth since 1985 and haven't done coke since 1990. The stimulation of these is just not worth it so I only have little temptation to do them. I really did enjoy the meth psychosis though, but I just don't have the time. Maybe when I'm retired and I have more time, if I'm not to old.

Opiates I can enjoy, though doing them for more than a few days makes me run down, constipated, and groggy. So I've never gotten dependant on them or even much tolerance. If I do them at all it will just be a peaceful nod on a weekend.

I'm not too much into the party scene and MDMA is not of much use to me. Taking it at home I could pretty much just as well enjoy opiates. Though I do have some methylone laying around that I'll probably use up.

Psychedelics I limit to avoid loss of magic, i.e. too much and they get boring. Actually the shorter lasting ones, like shrooms or tryptamines, I tend to want to over use when I use them. The very short lasting peak I get from shrooms or tryptamines often leaves me wanting another experience as soon as possible, where as a good long LSD trip or some of the phenethylamines can leave me satisfied for months.

Weed I don't limit, I see no reason to.

Overall I guess you could say my limits are based on experience. I know whats good for me and what isn't.

Jimmy the Gun said:
I think one of the best ways to not use drugs is to employ a method called rational recovery. As opposed to the disease model of addiction (proposed by AA etc.), rational recovery says that drug addiction is not a disease, it is a choice.

In other words, you can simply choose not to use drugs. When ever I get clean, I find this strategy to be very helpful.

I think thats a great strategy. As long as it works! Whatever it takes for someone to stop.

For me, there simply arent any drugs, so I have no problem not using them.
The only drugs available around here are meth and pot..meth, well I wouldnt touch that shit..and pot..I dont care for the way it makes me feel much, so I have no problem keeping it to 1-2 nights a week. I dont want to be a druggie, I feel there are better ways to spend my time. Even back in the day when more drugs were available, I kept any kind of hard drug use to once a week. I couldnt live with myself if I used it any more.

I don't take drugs when I'm broke and I purposely pay more than the minimum amount on all of my bills each pay so that I don't have too much spending money. I also have a lot of very straight friends who don't approve of drug use at all so when I think I'm getting in a bit deep I just make weekend plans with those ppl so I put myself in the position where I can't take anything. I also used to never take drugs in town, only when we took road trips out of town or on holidays because I was worried about damaging my career (I'm a teacher) but I haven't been away much this year so that has changed. I also usually only take E about once a month, when my firends also feel up for a big night or there is a great gig on, and when I can score good quality stuff with minimal effort for a good price.... that hasn't been too hard yet though.
I have gotten to the point where I have had an awesome friday night and want to repeat it saturday night but i haven't been able to score without paying top dollar and it never turns out as good.
I agree with everyone who has said that when you feel you desperately need/want some you shouldn't have any. I try my best to live by that. :)

The easiest way for me to cut down on my use is to just ride out the storm. I'll usually find a drug that I absolutely love, use the fuck out of it, and move on, vowing to use it only on occasion afterwards.

In a nutshell, I don't really avoid becoming addicted to things, I just learn from each addiction to avoid such instances involving each substance in the future.

It works very well, and can offer a tint of maturity to the drug-user; obviously, it's not mature to allow oneself to become addicted to anything, period! But once you do become addicted and have that built-in mechanism by which you are psychologically inclined to quit and remain abstinant, save for on occasion, I feel one gains experience that will eventually help them (me) later in life.

one becomes much more knowledgable about the extremely positive and extremely negative effects of the drug in question, and is therefore able to rationalize about their use in the future. Just my opinion, but its worked wonders for me and I dont use seventy five percent of the drugs I was addicted to anymore, based on this philosophy.

LOL however I'm not advocating addiction as a means to abstinence ;) Just relating my personal experience.

I made them completely unavailable to myself :) Thus, I have stopped altogether.

Now granted... from time to time I think to myself "hey I wish I could do *insert desired drug here* that would be so much fun!!!!!!" but I really couldnt' get anything if I tried. I moved 3.5 hours away from where I used to live and therefore away from all my druggie friends :p

If I was *really* persistent I could certainly get what I wanted. But, I'm pretty much over that phase of my life, and I'm a little too responsible to partake in even occasional drug use.

However, if you put something right in front of my face or put me in a room with someone selling something I wanted, I'd fucking do it in a heartbeat ;)

the availiblity of ANY thing around here limits me. dunno what i would do if it was always around. it just has never been a prob. for me