• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Tattoo FAQ - please make separate threads for image ideas

SilverFeniks

Bluelighter
Hey all;

I just got a tattoo (my first) today.

I don't want it getting messed up of course, and while the artist gave me a card with some recommendations (wash with soap/hot water, apply lotion whenever needed), I want to make sure I do everything right.

They recommended I use antibacterial soap and fragrance-free lotion; I don't have time or $ to go get these, will normal soap / mosterizer work?

Unfortunately I also have to be quite active the next couple days, will this be OK? (its on my shoulder/arm area).

Is it OK to wear any normal clothes or should I put another bandage on it to be safe?

I've heard of tattoos 'bleeding' (ink leakage?), how does this occur / how is it prevented?

Anything else I should watch out for?

This is the regimen that I follow and my tats turned out fabulous:

1. Keep the original bandage on your tat for a minimum of 3 hours. I usually just leave mine on overnight. If your friends are bugging to see it, tell them they'll just have to wait.

2. Use lukewarm water (not *hot* water) and antibacterial soap to wash your tat at least twice a day. Do NOT use a washcloth or anything harsh/abrasive. Your hand will do just fine as long as your hands are washed with soap/water first. Lightly pat your tat dry with a clean towel.

(As far as if it's okay to use non-antibacterial soap, I really really wouldn't recommend it. Antibacterial soap is really inexpensive - just go to the corner Rite-Aid or drug store and pick some up. I got a small bottle of liquid Dial for about $3.)

3. For the first 3 days, apply a bit of Bacitracin to your tat after washing. Unlike things like petroleum jelly or Neosporin, Bacitracin doesn't drain the color out of a tat. You can pick some up at any drug store. A tube of it costs about $3-4. Some people still use Neosporin but it can cause an allergic reaction in some folks and you'll end up with a fugly tattoo.

4. Thereafter, keep your tat clean and apply lotion when needed. As far as "fragrance-free" and all that, it's to make sure that you don't have some kind of adverse reaction to the ingredients in the lotion. Do you have sensitive skin or are you susceptible to allergic reactions? I use Vaseline Advanced Healing fragrance-free lotion with vitamin E. You can get a small bottle of the stuff (3 fl oz.) for about $2 at a drug store. But if you really want to save money, ask your female relatives or friends. I'm sure one of them has to have some fragrance-free stuff around.

5. After a few days you'll notice some peeling and possibly scabbing. It may itch like crazy but whatever you do, DONT scratch it! Smack it if you have to or apply more lotion to it.

Other things to keep in mind:

-Don't take baths or soak in water while your tat is healing. This can cause loss of color or vulnerability to infection.
-Don't wear tight clothing over your tattoo. This blocks oxygen and also traps bacteria in.
-Don't expose your tattoo to sunlight for the first two weeks or so. After that, apply sunblock to your tat if it's going to be out in the sun. This will help keep it looking bright.
-Don't rebandage your tat. You want it to get plenty of oxygen to speed up healing.
-Try not to work out as much or do anything that will cause you to sweat a lot for the first week or two. This has the same effect as soaking in water and the sweat can also irritate the tat. If you can't avoid it, always shower/clean your tat after sweating.

Anyways that's basically what I followed and it worked quite well for me. You will more than likely hear different kinds of advice from different sources -- some people don't like to use ointments and recommend using only lotion, while others say not to use lotion at all as it can be a bacteria-carrying agent. Others say not to use bacitracin as a very small % of people may have an allergic reaction to it, etc. etc. Like most things in life, nothing is guaranteed or fool-proof. When in doubt or if you run into any problems, call your tattoo artist and follow his/her advice.

Also, don't be stingy with your time or your money when it comes to tattoo aftercare. Your tat is going to last you for the rest of your life, take good care of it from the start!

Hope this helped,
Pixie

Last edited:
make sure you use 'bepathem' (sp) cream...its a baby cream you can get from the chemist. It helps when its healing :)

Oh and one other thing - try to leave your tattoo alone as much as possible. Think of it as an open wound. Don't touch it if you don't have to, and *never* with unclean/unwashed hands. Always wash your hands before applying lotion or ointment.

When I got my tattoo done they used plastic wrap as a bandage, since it doesn't draw the ink out of the tattoo like gauze can (only a bit of course).

I used Neosporin on it daily for the first 5 days - with clean hands, rub a light film over the tattoo.

When washing, I used only my hands lathered in Dial to clean it - I thought a washcloth would be to abrasive.

Thanks for the info .. it hasn't been bothering me much at all, I've been soaping/lotioning it .. part of it is still red where it should be yellow, but I assume this is just from blood/scab, as the whole thing is still a bit rough.
My artist said the colors should be brighter in a few days / a week once it heals more; its only been a day so far but its already much better.

Thanks again :)

Also- spring for the water-based lotion. Anything else will sting like a sonofabitch on what is basically an open wound. Trust me. It hurts.

I was told to use neosporin when I first got my tattoo.

Keeping it clean is the best thing for it. :)

This thread was actually helpful. For once I found the answers to all my fucking questions without having to ask. I just got another tattoo and wasn't sure what to put on it. With my last tatt I bought the special tattoo goo stuff they wanted to sell me, but this time I decided not to spend the extra money there. I bought vasceline for it, but it looks like that's not a good idea.

As a final tip, once the tattoo is healed, be sure to apply sunscreen of at least 30 SPF to keep your artwork from fading.

Just keep it clean & covered up the first night.

After that make sure ya cover the thing in coco butter & never ever ever pick at the scabs!

congrats!

Tats are worse than coke your gonna get more in no time!

like ^^ said, do NOT pick at the scab that will form in a few days!!! Show me pics maaaaaaaaan :)

I have only one piece of advice from personal experience. Don't get your tattoo on your 21st birthday. Because you are probably going to get blackout drunk and wake up sleeping om your floor like I did. I'm sure little bits of carpet stuck to tattoo can't be a good thing.

Oh and that ink really stains doonas...

wow, what luck, I happen to visit BL and see this thread bumped up ...

I had a ton of climbing to do right after I got my tattoo, but was still able to apply some skin moisturizer 3-5 times a day for a few days, plus soap it 1-2 times a day, and everything turned out just fine!

if ya really wanna see it, IM me or somethin .. i don't plan to get any more, but only because I don't intend to go tattoo crazy. I got this one as a personal reminder to myself, maybe I'll get more some day and maybe not, no more plans now though.

thanks for the help.

haha i didnt notice how old this was. oops.

Once again - DO NOT PICK SCAB!!!!
I 'helped' my scab off the first time and the tatt faded big time. When I got it redone I didn't touch it at all and it's much beter.
Oh, and use bepanthen - alot!

also, I think everyone knows the "don't drink" rule, since your blood will thin...but I ignored it with one of my tats, since I only had one glass of wine. Big mistake, many parts are blotchy from it. Don't drink at ALL and if you are a heavy drinker, don't you always have this problem?? Heavy drinkers may want to see if there is anything they can do to make sure this isn't an issue.

All I use is some vitamin a + d oil. It can be found in the baby aisle of your local grocery store as diaper rash treatment. I've tried other things when I was younger and first started getting ink, but this stuff works like a charm, and its cheap. I need to post some pics to the tattoo thread.... No scarring, and no fading! :)

Church

Gettin a Tattoo please help?

I am trying to find some real good sites for some examples of translations of english to other languages for a tattoo I want to design. Can someone point me in the right direction. I did a search but could not find many site links that are free to look at. I want somethin real original. Thanks guys.

Looking for a english to Latin, or Irish, maybe even Italian. Thanks alot.