Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Aus Social's periods of crapness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killing_time

Bluelighter
Let me elaborate from my most obscene of titles.
I've only been a member of BL for 4 or so months but during this time I have seen periods of what I like refer to as 'crapness' whereby there is a decline in new threads within Aus Social (and Bluelight in general?).
This not only leads to me be left alone with only my hand at night, but also disappoints me as I feel people are 'leaving' our community (and I say OUR community as I sure as hell feel a part of it.. and if you're reading this you too am part of it, whether you like it or not.. NO MATE!!!!! =D).
Does anyone else have any ideas of what can cause such decline in the number and quality of threads (and the introduction of such poor-arse threads as this)?
Bluelight is obviously fluid, there will never be a set number of 'Bluelighters' that doesn't change, but does this explain what I've said?
Who knows.
Do you?
If you haven't guessed it's late and I'm tired.
PEACE

i can empathise with this thread :) Bluelight sucks beyond recognition tonight.

'tis rather quiet isnt it. Though it *is* a Tuesday night, uni *is* back, and some people *do* have other lives outside of weekends and bluelight.....unlike me.

Shutup, I cant hear the crickets over your tumbleweeding.

I know what you're saying, but I dunno...I feel that lately we've actually been getting some good stuff. We've actually been discussing topical issues with the redfern and steve irwen threads and so on, there's been some valuable discussion raised in other threads...

Basically, real life does get in the way of how much time people have to spend on the net. The best way to provoke more valuable use of the forum is to actually create a thread which is useful to the forum; I'm not putting shit on this thread, because I do think you've brought up a valid point...but it's a point that comes up in one form or another every now and then, and I do think the solution is to be proactive. Create something that has the ability to sustain discussion.

It's gotta be better than complaining about the suckage quotient of bluelight on any given night and turning threads into stuff that'd get closed in The Lounge, don't y'all agree? ;)

i would add more good threads to bluelight...but for some reason i have this notion that its illegal to post more than one thread a week or something like that.

when i do post a thread, i tend to think it through properly.

*insert evil laugh*
HAHAHA!
Fools!
You have succumed to the 'crapness' once again.
I'm sorry.
In all honesty it was a good point Raz.. one which I thought of myself, but still a good one.
=D
Then again I have little else to start a thread on so this will have to do for the time being.
I'm going to bed now.
Maybe there will be some AWESOME, COOL DUDE, COWABUNGA threads when I awaken.. then again.. maybe not.
:)
PEACE

ROFL - is that time of the year already for "what happened to Social"? These threads appear every 4-5 months and invlove alot of bitching by people who are NOT willing to contribute to make social what they would like it to be.

Wanna to do something positive... don't support the inane threads and start some threads yourself and help it be active... don't have any ideas? then you also have no currency to bitch either. There are heaps of worthwhile threads in social, but unfortunately they require more than one word answers.

^ What he said.

You've only been a member for 4 months and you're already complaining about Aus Social's "crapness"? Most folks wait until they've at least posted a constructive thread before they think they're worthy to critique this forum.

again, what haste said.

i remember when i first started hanging around aus. social and i saw one of these threads - at the time it seemed fair enough, but when, another six months later, another -identical- thread was started (by the next semi-jaded group of "old school" blers) i began to realise that it was just the natural process.

someone made a really great post about it last time (might have been a thread actually) -maybe haste or jakoz?- detailing the honeymoon period which inevitably leads to jadedness in your bluelight life, it's probably worth a search if you're actually interested in the issue at hand :)

imo, lately, social's actually been going okay. to be totally honest, i haven't seen so many quality and really long, eloquent debates around here at one time since i first joined - check out threads of the last couple of months like the steve irwin debate, the awkward situations discussion, (my baby) the basketball thread, not to mention the oodles of great opinionating and expertise that is demonstrated in the reading and music threads. i think this place is actually quite healthy.

and remember, like haste said, if you don't like how it's going, be proactive and post some new stuff :)

is it me, or do some of the responses by the moderators come accross as a bit more harsh than they should be for old skool bluelighters (ie. the non-old skool ones)?

I know I'm harsh and I guess I should be more understading of newer members who haven't seen the numerous threads discussing the very same issue... only for the same person(s) to make no active contribution after said whinging. No-one is suggesting that to be part of this forum you need to contribute worthwhile threads - far from it - but to critisize a forum for its crapiness when you've made no effort to shape is a bit rich. Fine don't post any worthwhile threads, no problem - but don't winge when there are none around. We all make this forum what it is and we all have the power to shape and encourage its growth.

There are alot of good threads that have had alot of thought and energy put into them to encourage intelligent discussion. They are there, you just need to support them.

Also complaining about..

Does anyone else have any ideas of what can cause such decline in the number and quality of threads (and the introduction of such poor-arse threads as this)?

and then support such threads by posting in them (ie. Word Assoc) doesn't really leave much strength in one's point - you kinda answered your own question ;)

oh and I'm not having a go at anyone directly, even though it may seem that way - just my opinion :)

moe: maybe it's just my lack of sleep lately, but i don't understand :(

seriously! anyway, i was trying to be nice!

fuck that. I wanna be spoon fed good threads. It's all the mods fault.

moe - I don't agree - watch haste ass rape me now..and we're pretty old skool...or was that just 'old?'

But haste is right, if you think a thread is shit, don't post in it. Otherwise you're just promoting weak threads back into the consciousness of brain dead blers (refer to word assocaition / what are you xxxx type threads).

Actually, now that I think about it, killing_time is guilty for one of the crappest threads EVER on Aus social. "Thread of Random Statements". WTF is that?

Last edited:
Well... now that haste has locked the Word Association Game, I don't have any reason to stick my head in the door ;p

[edit: Of all the forums with word association threads, Bluelight's was the best... you kids are at least somewhat imaginative :)]

haha. before i would have thought drugs = non computer nerds staying up all night jacking off and hanging around websites...

Oh well. keep going at it and aus social will be better. But from what i've seen, this forum is so active anyway, the 'inactive' periods are just slightly off... nothing to complain about. (i didnt even notice it!)

do a search, every few months another thread like this pops up - it always says the exact same thing as the last one.

And at least BL has pro-active moderators. Other places, the mods moan and threaten about their "social" forums turning into drivel, they even warn people, but don't have the guts to lock threads just because they're pointless or post-whoring.

You guys may think it's crap here, but on the grand scale of crapness, Bluelight is way ahead of the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.