Zombies

Keif' Richards

Bluelight Crew
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
8,540
Location
Lowell/Charlestown, Massachusetts
I hate to be un-original. I don´t like just jumping on the bandwagon. I am here in Las Vegas now. All I can say is, what a shit hole. It is truly the worst place in the entire country I have ever been too. I have lived in active warzones with more love and good feelings than this place. Let me just say, I have become a more spiritual person since getting here. This city was essentially founded on the philosophy of extracting as much money as possible from individuals and clouding their minds with pleasure while they do it. I have learned a lot about the cops here as they have become an ever-present facet of my day to day life at the non-profit. Their genesis was to be muscle for the mob and in turn the casinos. They were not designed as a standard, municipal police force. In short, they started corrupt and have only gotten worse.

It is not the dirt, the grime, the heat... this place has no fucking soul. People here are the most inward facing, self-absorbed people I have ever met. This is not a blanket statement. I am speaking to the overall character of this place. The world is crashing down around us and those who still have money to fill up their tank frankly don´t want to be bothered with ¨depressing things; things you can´t change; why would i think about that when the sun is shining?¨ It´s like the same issues we see with our children who don´t know how to read, adults who can´t talk properly to another person, people asking AI what they should say to the girl they like. The kids out here are going to be mindless, useless, drones by the time they reach maturity because they already can´t function as it is and nobody is calling it a state of emergency as they should be.

At Wal Mart, I walk through the aisles and it´s like everyobe has the thousand yard stare on their face of pure confusion. I try to make conversation with the cashier and she literally has a panic attack and has to get someone else. I said ¨Hi, how´s the lines today?¨ to this 20 year old girl and she became so flustered that I was apologizing. People here go further into denial, into their bubbles the worse things get. Everyone is for the war. Everyone loves Trump. Nobody is willing to talk about anything that matters and if you try, they act like you´re just being a bring-down.

Two days ago, ¨The American Reich¨ had a sizable march through a few blocks and I believe they intentionally went by the shelter. We all sat and watched as they went by. They had buttons, bumper stickers and t shirts. The police were marching with them for ¨protection¨ though the rumor is there is heavy cop involvement in these groups. A guy was driving through the parking lot at the supermarket and he had that typical ¨Latino¨ almost mariachi-type music playing loudly. People literally were throing shit at his van and rushing him.

I had been living in a car then moved to a flea-bag weekly hotel. That hotel charges rent, but it has since been ¨taken over¨ by a latino gang and they were terrorizing us for ¨taxes¨ on top of the rent, which basically doubled it. Called police, talked to the office (it´s not a problem as these guys come at night, raid the place and disappear) and nobody will help, so back to the car. It is much cooler now so thankfully that makes it easier. You still get terrorized by security guards. They will wake you up from a dead sleep with sirens and banging on the glass and it is so traumatic it makes it hard to ever sleep again. People are literally trying to survive, still working full time and that is Las Vegas, still no love or kindness, just ¨get the fuck out¨ once your dollar value drops below a certain amount.

Myself and most of my coworkers lost our health insurance recently and most of us can´t afford to get it on the market. We comically make too much money for any assistance at 24/hr. It seems 90% likely that the shelter will close. There are serious concerns abou the far-right element and we know if they really fucked with us we would not have any support. People are just too afraid to keep doing the work as we are now seen as a major part of the probem i,e, we encourage homelessness, addiction and crime through our work.

In other news, 3 pharmacies were out of CLONIDINE this week for days. Yes, Clonidine. It is a medication people can die if they don´t have it. Just another fear. If such a vital medicine can´t be obtained, what is next. Meanwhile, I saw diesel is above 8 this morning. Shit is likely only to get worse. I suggest everyone get some canned food and clean water together just in case. I am not joking about that. As bad as it is, here in Vegas, I think I´m actually ¨Middle - Lower/Middle Class¨. It goes much much lower than this so I thank God I still have what I have.

Times are getting harder. We can´t stop trying to be good people even though times are hard. I have to tell myself this all the time. I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying life as they can. Love you all.

Ryan
 
So sad, we did this to ourselves directly or indirectly. Can we as a society change our direction or must we ride it out until the only solution is to start over? Is starting over even possible without complete annihilation?
 
bro if you consider it a shit hole and see no way forward see your way out.
havnt read it all yet but i know you been in some hard spots between the rock so....

will it get better? can it? whats the optimal "spot" for you atm. i mean the goalposts always move a bit but we eventually zero in i want to believe... at least for myself.

<3
 
I know I´m not supposed to place blame. It doesn´t feel good for me either. The hard facts are thus though: things were tough back in Vermont. The issue back there was a simpler, is my life ever going to have meaning here? Will I ever get an apartment of my own again? There was a good paying job out here. By the time I was out here and settled, shit had already gotten worse to the point that my first job fell through. Immediately on the backfoot. Things have consistently gotten worse for all of us. I know I don´t need to spell it all out.

I´ve seen a few things. I´ve been around people with guns who don´t speak English. I´ve been robbed at gunpoint twice. I can tell you, the feeling you get in Vegas is the final phase of ¨there is no fucking soul in this whole place who is gonna help you if you´re in trouble¨ and, despite dealing with lackluster police, I never have felt so totally abandoned by the municipal cops. The criminals know they´re not gonna come.

Those goal posts have moved significantly. I had something of a plan at first. That has all fallen apart as Vegas seems to be morphing into a ¨conservative commune¨ where the rich want to pretend everything is okay for one or two more years before they to are on the streets. People were intolerant at first, now it´s just plain hatred. The money issues makes junkies an easy target. They are just mooching off the system, not working, not worth anyone´s time or attention and finally, not worthy of being present.

Rent was cheaper here. Now, food is ridiculous. Everyone´s insurance is getting canceled because our employer´s don´t have any fucking money either. I promise you all, I had a plan and it wasn´t fucking ridiculous either. Things have changed drastically.

At this point, I´m just trying to get back to either Boston or Vermont, I haven´t decided. Either place, I can have Health Insurance and a little bit of free food and shit and a shelter that is not in danger of being attacked by Nazi´s. Boston is racist, but if you´re white, you´re pretty much not ¨part of the problem¨. I am speaking objectively. I do not like any of this as a fact. I am merely saying, there is more relative safety and a slim chance at getting back on my feet somehow going back there.

The fact is, this is not place for a poor person. It just is not. It wasn´t when I got here, but you could manage. Now it´s really not a place at all for someone living paychck to paycheck. They clearly squeeze everyone as much as they can. Staying at a shitty motel for 675/week (in danger of being robbed in the middle of the night) and you are made to feel like you´re lucky to be inside.

Yes, the mood has shifted to getting out of here. There isn´t even going to be a non-profit sector to truly speak of soon. They are not wanted here by anyone aside from the clients. Now that the political winds allow, people are letting their masks slip off regarding the homeless, mentally ill and addicted and it´s ugly underneath.

The plan is to get out. I´m already working on it. I basically need enough Methadone, some prescriptions, food and a bus ticket. It´s pretty much doable. I don´t feel defeated either. I truly think there was no way this could have worked out copasetically no matter what I did. This just isn´t a place for people like us. Boston or Vermont, even if the country continues to crash out, there could be a chance of regenesis
 
If you reason to move on outweighed your motivation to stay, you would move on. Do you not agree you are where you are at by choice? Sometimes we fail to realize the answer to life's millions of questions when the answer is so simple it is overlooked.
 
sounds like a horrid place, the missing soul must be the lack of culture, or part of it at least. Sounds like your one of the last good people in that desert
 
Top