• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Z drugs, benzos, or antihistamines best for sleep

yeah I'm not too sure about taking a TCA for sleep. Aren't TCA's toxic in moderate doses? I also have depression so maybe it will help with that as well. also Would I have to be taking the TCA everyday and for weeks before it starts working or will it have an immediate effect on my sleep?

yeah I'm not too sure about taking a TCA for sleep. Aren't TCA's toxic in moderate doses? I also have depression so maybe it will help with that as well. also Would I have to be taking the TCA everyday and for weeks before it starts working or will it have an immediate effect on my sleep?

I can't speak for all of them but I know Dosulepin is. I don't take it for depression, but for pain management. It's very rarely prescribed for depression any more, not only because there are now drugs out there with a higher efficacy, but because of it's toxicity in relatively small doses. Obviously prescribed a toxic drug to a suicidal patient isn't a great idea.

For me it had an immediate effect on my anxiety/sleep, that was at 25mg by the way. I now take 100mg at night.

You might want to consider something like Neurontin (gabapentin) or Lyrica (pregabalin) to be taken once at bedtime - they could offer help, and I don't think they would leave that much of any hangover at the right dose. Soma (carisoprodol) would actually be great for what you're describing, however there are risks of addiction there, as there are with Neurontin and Lyrica, too, though. But, a lot of people report that Soma retains its sedative-hypnotic effect even after a period where tolerance should have set in, and it is a very good sedative-hypnotic, at least in the short-term; that is, it could do the job. Those are some I didn't see suggested that come to mind. Other than that, I think the z-drug Sonata (zaleplon), as one poster suggested, could also really help you - it has a VERY short half-life. But, I wouldn't discount the so popular Ambien (zolpidem), either - it shouldn't leave much of any hangover, and it can work very well for some. All of these drugs, are of course, sedatives, and do work on GABA - Lyrica is a bit different, but I couldn't tell you much more than that it certainly feels GABAergic, in nature.

Benzo's, that I might suggest - Serax (oxazepam) is not an hypnotic benzo, but all benzo's have hypnotic properties, and while Serax is pretty 'mild', at the right dose, it might be very good for you on account of its short half-life. Xanax (alprazolam), for obvious reasons of potency, speedy onset, and short half-life, and Halcion (triazolam), which is an hypnotic benzo that is very hard to get, but that would do the job, and has a VERY short half-life.

All of the drugs I mentioned can lead to physical dependence with continuous use, and it is no joke with these types of drugs. But, let me say that you might want to try weed again with a benzo or other sedative-hypnotic taken before hand; you might, then, not need as much when it comes to dosing the sedative-hypnotic, and the weed experience would be more tamed out.

weed fogged me up too much to use every day. Now I only smoke when I can get some opiates or benzos beforehand.

Most recently I've been using tramadol to sleep because for me it starts out energetic then about 6 hours in turns into slight sedation. I can take it around noon and it will last all day and night, and sometimes even into the next day. For me tramadol is the perfect sleep drug because even if I can feel it the morning after it will actually help me get up and start my day.

Even though I've found my personal favorite sleep drug I highly doubt I could get it prescribed to me. I will probably have to settle for something else. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Benzos really help me with the negative effects of an amphetamine comedown, but I'm prescribed seroquel and some people say that's not too good for your heart, but I've never had a problem with it, and it always helps me fall asleep.

If you just need to get to sleep then weed would be good; only a small amount like more or less .1g depending on personal tolerance. I like opiates to get to sleep also because they're shorter lasting than benzodiazepines. For either of those options some people become mentally stimulated rather than drowsy, so it's up to your body.

The healthiest option is marijuana, I'd give it at least one try. It used to help me get to sleep when in the same situation but now my trouble is staying asleep, which is easily solved by smoking more when I wake up but then I'm burnt out in the morning.

I have been smoking for over 3 years, I quit and I don't intend on going back. weed is out of the question.

The half-life of benzodiazepines is irrelevant to they're duration(at low doses).

For trouble falling asleep, a short acting benzodiazepine, or one of the Z-drugs(people keep saying the Z drugs are better, but there mechanism of action is pretty much the same).

It amazes me that diphenhydramine makes people wake up groggy- but have you tried low dose doxylamine?
The problem is, do you want something you can take nightly, or just occasionally?
Bevause every hypnotic in the world will eventually lose effectiveness.

I still say for occasional use, a short acting benzodiazepine( triazolam, midazolam(good luck with that), diazepam or of course, temazepam.

FOr chronic use, I would suggest no single substance, instead rotate.

Don't forget try cyclica and anti-psychotics(seroqeul, the best akle aid ever, but causes extreme next day grogginess, also trazodone, others I can't remember)

And no one mentioned muscle relaxers, not just carisoprodol(and it's metabolite, meprobamate) but also the unscheduled ones, with flexerall being an extremely effective sleep aid for acute use(it is also trycyclic) and robaxin(methocarbamol) is great at higher doses.

You have a lot of options, but none will help indefinitely without escalating doses. I personally rotate from strong antihistamines, and benzodiazepines, muscle relaxers, and even trycyclics, and it keeps my insomnia under control. I also find mixing 2 substances is more effective than an equivelant dose of 1(so a small dose of say, alprazolam and promethazine more effective than a moderate dose of either. Of course, be careful mixing them depressants.

Hope this helps.

I haven't tried much to make a comparison, but whenever I take benadryl (I think that's diphenhydramine) I feel so out of it the next morning. I much prefer hydroxyzine. If I only get 5 hours with it I don't feel so great, but as long as I get 7 hours with it I'm usually pretty good the next morning.
I just yoon the higher st dose of Diphenhydramine 600mg and I'm trippin ,
. And on otmy other stuff

That's a stupid dose of DPH if you're just trying to sleep lol. Based on how you typed that I'm guessing you were hatman level.

It's the opposite for me, hydroxizine gives me like an all day groggy hangover. That's what I felt today when I took some cough medicine last night that had doxylamine succinate in it, the stuff in unisom. I'd also taken a ton of Kava extract, regular kava and a few Valium. I took 10 times the recommended dose for the extract by mistake. Once I put it in the milk it was like, well, too late. I'd taken that dose before and was fine. That was without regular kava after though.

After I hit my vape pen I went cross eyed, started hallucinating and then realized, if I don't lay down and pass out right now I'm going to puke. I don't know if I've ever been that fucked, it was the doxy mostly responsible for this. I hate how the only cough syrup around has this in it. I guess kids cough syrup has a weaker antihistamine so I should go with that. I'm allergic to guaifenesin which is in just about every cough medicine nowadays. Regardless this is the closest thing to an overdose I've experienced.

Regardless, doxylamine is the strongest, most sedating antihistamine or drug I think I've ever touched. Ugh, it was awful. Made myself a nice hot cup of tea, prepared to munch out but then I was losing it. "Let me just go play guitar, that will wake me up" but I couldn't even make it over, I fell and hit my head on the side of my bed. The irony is that this is the first good night of sleep before work I've had in months, but I felt like shit all day and then I couldn't really take a nap later on before dinner. Well, I didn't feel like shit right away, it was later after using up some energy.

Why? Well, this girl I'm "with" at the moment (probably just a fling, I don't have Valentines plans or anything, long story). Anyway, I've very suddenly developed a latex allergy. I've never had this, have been using condoms since I was 15 and I could feel the shit burning, then just having touched it made every part of my body develop a rash. It was awful, I'd start falling asleep and then the itch, it was like an opioid itch times 10, just awful. I literally use these same condoms all the time and only today have I suddenly shown allergy signs. Anyway, that's a bunch of TMI... it's been quite a weird ass day.

Last edited:
Zopiclone is good for sleep if you dont abuse it and if you tae days off. Toerance builds like a bitch on it. As far as other drugs i would recomnd Trimipramine a tricyclic known to cause sedation. But that one can make you kind of drowsy the next day.

If that's anything like Ambien, for whatever reason that sort of stuff never really worked for me. I could take like 20mg Ambien and not feel any sedation or really anything. But that doxylamine succinate from the other night? Jesus, that was ridiculous. I mean I did have a lot of kava but that generally was not something to make me extremely tired.

If that's anything like Ambien, for whatever reason that sort of stuff never really worked for me. I could take like 20mg Ambien and not feel any sedation or really anything. But that doxylamine succinate from the other night? Jesus, that was ridiculous. I mean I did have a lot of kava but that generally was not something to make me extremely tired.

I have neer taken ambien as it (it's called sublinox here) is not covered by my insurance and is still i believe only avilable by brand name. I have howeer have had the 2 other z drugs zopiclone and zaleplon. TI thought it was just like temazepam or something. Zopiclone has ever caused hallucinations in me even in ridiculously high doses

I got zopiclone hallucinations (detailed CEVs) when combining with alcohol. This isn't recommended though and a recipe for blackout.

I once took 20 zopiclone with almost a full bottle of stoli and blacked out entiely but never hallucinated. I have since stopped this combo because it is to dangerous and risky to do something like fall over the stairs like i did the other year