• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Your philosophy on tipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea, people will leave some money in the hotel room after they leave. i never knew that until a couple years ago.

Well Im in Australia (sydney)

I *rarely* tip.
Not unless Im am over over impressed with the service and food combined, or I find a particular waiter specfically considerate.
although, If I go to an espensive restraunt I'll just round the bill up and leave the nearest whole number.

Im paying for the food and no doubt the service on the bill so I dont really feel the need to Tip on top of that, Unless something exception happens.

I dont think Its really in Australian culture to tip or expect tips for average service. Its more of an american/european thing to do.

:)

I do the hotel tipping sometimes, but it depends on how the room is. They get paid (generally) for the # of rooms they can have cleaned in a certain period of time. If I don't have the cash on me for a tip or whatever, I try to put all the trash in the trashcan, pile all the towels together, etc, so that I'm sort of making it easier for them. I remember back in the hotel party days DEFINITELY leaving a tip for the poor person that had to deal with that mess.

long time ago...in georgia

yeah, when they have to clean up that many empty chargers...

not to mention anyone who claned that room probably got strep throat as well.

whew....

Hi, a previous maid here. I am in school now but for 3 years was a housekeeper...

First, I was surprised to learn that most people didnt know about tipping maids. I grew up doing it, not a problem, just a surprise.

I have two things to say on the issue.

1) I got paid decently and by no means NEED tips. However, I started out making the same as your cashier, etc... The difference is that I scrub your pubes off from toilets, and pick up your bloody condoms, dildos, you name it. It can be a very personal and disgusting job. Keep in mind, I understand that I chose this line of work, but few jobs require the extraction of your body fluids and other things of such a personal nature and in my opinion deserves a little extra consideration than other "tipping jobs."

There are some hazards not common in other jobs nor compensated for in my pay. For example, I was taking out someone's trash and stuck myself with a needle, had to go get tested and was not only a hassle but scary.

2) People seem to have a nice snort when they hear of concept of tipping maids. I suppose I just don't understand why people will easily cough up 2 bucks to the person who washes their hair for 3 minutes, compared to a maid who spends around half an hour in the room, organizing stuffed animals on the bed not to mention to dirtier part of the work. I believe it has to do with the fact that because there is rarely face to face contact, people do not feel the pressure to give something extra.

I suppose I am saying that whether you believe in tipping or not- I think people should be consistent regardless of what someone is right in front of you or you never seeing them. A service is being done whether you see the person or not- and tipping is by no means necessary- but dont cop out if you feel they deserved a tip just because you might never see them.

I think they were talking about a hotel maid, not a maid for your home.

I tip at 10-20% plus coin change usually in restaurants. I usually just eye ball and try to get change in bigger bills. It also depends on how much money i have at the time. I have to admit that if I have a hot waitress I tip more. I refuse to stiff, if I were having a bad day I wouldn't want it getting worse.

I think they were talking about a hotel maid, not a maid for your home.

I was talking about a maid in a hotel, they're called "housekeepers" more often than maids.

"I am a master of the custodial arts, or a janitor if you want to be a dick about it." -Half Baked.

Same concept. Housekeeper is the more respectable term for a maid. I personally couldn't have given a shit.

you were? i guess this statement threw me off

compared to a maid who spends around half an hour in the room, organizing stuffed animals on the bed not to mention to dirtier part of the work.

I don't tip because society says I gotta. I tip when somebody deserves a tip. When somebody really puts forth an effort, they deserve a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, that shit's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doin their job. When I order coffee, I want it filled six times.

These ladies aren't starvin to death. They make minimum wage. When I worked for minimum wage, I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tipworthy. Do you know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin, playing just for the waitresses. These people bust their ass? This is a hard job? So's working at McDonald's, but you don't feel the need to tip them. They're servin ya food, you should tip em. But no, society says tip these guys over here, but not those guys over there. That's bullshit.

Hey, I'm very sorry that the government taxes their tips. That's fucked up. But that ain't my fault. it would appear that waitresses are just one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. You show me a paper that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. And this non-college bullshit you're telling me, I got two words for that: "Learn to fuckin type." Cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent, you're in for a big fuckin surprise.

^^ did you read in this post that most minimum wage is $2.83

But hey we have jobs that do this and that is the way they make their money.. Just because people do not want to tip, doesn't mean the goverment will change it for us..

society: The totality of social relationships among humans.

A group of humans broadly distinguished from other groups by mutual interests, participation in characteristic relationships, shared institutions, and a common culture.

Government
The act or process of governing, especially the control and administration of public policy in a political unit

I'm sorry to say that society didn't decide that we should be tipped by waiting on you.

I know that it is our job... but people that work off commission have to do their job just as well..

This thread should just be archived or closed. Everyone is rehashing the same arguments with nothing new to add.

Here are the results:

Tipping in Australia? Optional.
Tipping in North America? Common/Expected. (Just tip, damn it)

if...

those are your original thoughts, then, diegoblunt is the most unoriginal bastard ever!

=D

also, the whole mr. pink thing was brought earlier in this thread, but not the complete monologue.

so, frostyangel, i don't think that was his opinion, but perhaps showing some admiration for the one, the only "reservoir dogs".

Status
Not open for further replies.