• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Your philosophy on tipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, no point in getting excited if tipping isn't a custom where you're from. In North America it's wage subsidy, whether we like it or not.

Well, it's all pretty irrelevant anyway, since I still tip. I just don't agree with it philosophically speaking.

if you live in a place where tipping is expected and you don't tip you are just extremely selfish. this system relies on people using good judgement and fairly tipping a server provided they did a good job.

if you think you are gonna get ahead in life by stiffing servers, good luck. seriously.

in california the living costs ARE higher and maybe the servers need a tip to make a LIVING wage. i don't live in california though.

staind rose said:
if you think you are gonna get ahead in life by stiffing servers, good luck. seriously.

could that not be reversed and said "if you think you are gonna get anywhere in life being a server., good luck!" ?

staind rose said:
this system relies on people using good judgement and fairly tipping a server provided they did a good job.

i will fairly, nay, generously tip any server that i feel does well at their job. i will not tip for piss-poor service. i disagree with the sense of entitlement many of them show - "do you need change?" of course i fucking need change.

remember, there are as many bad servers as there are bad customers.

keystroke said:
could that not be reversed and said "if you think you are gonna get anywhere in life being a server., good luck!" ?

nope.

its a way to work at night while going to college.

Originally posted by michael
i disagree with the sense of entitlement many of them show - "do you need change?" of course i fucking need change.

if there is less then a dollar back i'll ask, it wastes more time running around looking for the exact 4 pennies i need. some people would rather not wait or can just take the 4 cents outa the tip. if they do want change i usually give them back MORE then necessary because again tracking down a server with the right change is a pain. i didn't know this was offensive. its merely to save time.

if someone is holding more than a dollar or so, yes it's offensive. and i doubt it's to save time - it's to shame the patron into leaving it as a tip.

Whats not to understand?

If you just want food without service.. GO AND BUY IT AND COOK IT AND SERVE IT YOURSELF... then you dont have to tip anybody ... Oh wait.... no ... people seem to want to sit on their ass while some person kisses their ass and gets them everything they want and then they dont want to pay them for that service.... If you dont want the service... DONT GO SOMEWHERE WHERE THEY PROVIDE IT ...lol ... If you want the service.. you damn right you gonna be paying for that shit...

When you people goto get your car fixed do you bitch about them charging for labor as well? Should they just be charging you for the parts?

What about the doctor, or a lawyer or anybody who provides you with a service, do you bitch about paying them as well? Should everything just be free???

Jeeze i see all these people saying, shitty service = no tip.. Shitty service is still service. I personally think they should just make the food more expensive and raise wages.. just to shut all these people the fuck up..

The reason restaurants make gratuity mandatory for large parties is because that is a lot of time that the restaraunts employees had to take out to serve you, while they could have been doing other things. You took up peoples time, and you blame them for wanting to charge you for it? Next time you goto to anybody for any service, I suggest you try to not pay them and see how quick they arrest you and take your ass to court. In my opinion, they would be fully justified in doing so as you would be stealing from them...

I realize I do not know how much you make, but I'm willing to bet that there are server and/or bartenders who make more then you do. I know of people making as much as $400 in a couple of hours. That is much more then I do in 8 hours working as a computer technician. These people typically have more time to live their life and concentrate on other things such as school working on whatever degree in another industry..

a question for servers!

ooh, you know what does hurt when you're a server, or have been in the service industry?

how PISSED are you when you get super shitty service, and you cannot find it in your heart to tip less then 20%?! god, i hate that!

i try to be as understanding as possible, of course. i can't imagine telling my server to shape up though. how can you tell them, "hey, i tip big, for good service, so why don't you try filling up my drink!!"

so, then you tip them 20% and they have no idea that they gave shitty service.

hmph. just a little thing that pesters me.

I find it really ironic that some people here claim "if you cant afford to tip, DONT EAT OUT"

if you can't afford to live on the wages you get without tips, dont work there.

I agree with Michael, I hate people that try and shame the customer into making a tip.

if you're good at your job you'll get a tip regardless, if you're just average at it, you wont....

yeah i get tips. i average 15-20% a night, sometimes better. why? cause im a good server and am very attentive to my customers.

i don't understand why some of you think servers shouldn't EXPECT a tip (in the USA). i expect a tip. i know i earn them. the people that run you the hardest and are the most unpleasant to deal with always leave the worst tips. if they come in again i will not wait on them, they don't deserve my time.

if you can't afford to live on the wages you get without tips, dont work there.

Are you suggesting that we get rid of every single last restaraunt in America or simply just get rid of every server?

Lets see at 2.13 an hour which is what servers make in NJ. Even if you work a 40 hour week (which most server dont) you get 85 dollars before taxes are taken out. Thats per week.

Look here..

$340 a month before taxes without tips = salary of server in NJ
$375 a month (if you're under 25) before gas and maintenance = cost of having a car in NJ

Listen to logic ...

People not working as server cause they can't live off wages without tips = no servers
No servers = no service
no service = restaurant industry dying
restaurant industry dying = you having to go somewhere else either way to get your food.

So why not just go somewhere else to begin with if you do not care for the service? Please do not dodge the question...

If you do not care about the service why not go somewhere without service like the grocery store or fast food place?

According to the logic of, "why should we pay for service?" ... Why should you pay your car mechanic for anything other then parts? Anybody?

I understand this is just a difference in opinion and I seriously want to understand what logic there is behind the arguments against tipping. Somebody please present an argument that actually makes sense, instead of just saying, its wrong, its wrong... we shouldn't have to, we shouldn't have to.. I hate it, etc..

^ i've got a very good response to that,

Why should you just not go somewhere else to begin with? because going to a restaraunt and paying for a meal means just that, you are paying for a MEAL...

if all servers complained , the government would surely MAKE IT ILLEGAL for anyone to work under minimum wage.... why do you think you all get so fucked over on your pay? because no one will complain about it....

If you dont care about the service, goto the grocery store?

how about this, if you dont care about a customer just because you know he isnt going to tip you, find another job because obviously you cant do the one that you're employed for properly.

you're there to serve the customer, the customer is there to be served. don't expect the customer to go out of their way to make your life easier, expect it from your boss.

I can't see any rational explanation with the "if you dont like it, dont go" reasoning.

I goto many restaraunts and the thing is, all the servers are MORE than nice because they are employed to SERVE.

if you are employed to get tips, that's your job, but if you think anyones an "Asshole" for not paying more than they should perhaps you're the one that's the asshole.... for not trying to better yourself in finding another job. (SURELY YOU CANT all say there is no other jobs, theres plenty)

You're just repeating yourself over and over and over and over.

Originally posted by keystroke
Why should you just not go somewhere else to begin with? because going to a restaraunt and paying for a meal means just that, you are paying for a MEAL...

You're also paying for the service that goes along with providing that meal. You are paying to be served. You're paying to have your coke refilled three times. You're paying to have dirty plates removed from your presence. You're paying for your extra side of sauce brought out to you. What is hard to understand about that?

You also still haven't addressed the fact it is customary in Northern America to tip. Like it or not, that's the way it is.

agreed Finder, I am repeating myself, because I don't think it's clear in what I've said here.... sure it's customary for tipping in North America, but that's probably why everyone gets paid 2 dollars an hour, if you all said no to tipping, the wages would definately be increased....

You've also yet to elaborate on what the typical wage of a server is in Aus (that's where you are, correct?). I understand that tipping is not customary there, but do people tip anyway? Also--I said this before too--do you tip at all? Bell hops at a hotel? Cab drivers? Bartenders? I'd still like to know what the wage is so we can get a rough comparison to what a typical server here makes with shitty wage + tip.

for a 38 hour working week in Australia, The federal minimum wage is $431.40 for a standard 38-hour week or $11.35 per hour. Nearly all states have legislated or fixed a corresponding minimum wage, at the same rate.

and that's minimum, you must be over that or you'll be fined huge amounts as far as I know.

but for servers and stuff I think minimum wage is around about 7/8$ an hour....

so about $5 USD an hour for minimum wage, we do tip, but it's not required, if you tip the people really appreciate it but if you don't, they still serve you the best they can because its expected. if you cant serve someone and make the CUSTOMER the happiest person in the restaraunt, you're basically in jeopardy of losing your job.

all in all, i'm not sure about how North America works, but the customer is always right - tips aren't expected - but if they are given that's an AWESOME bonus.......

Ok... firstly, I just want to say lets not get offensive and just state our points + try to make this discussion into a productive one.

If you goto a restaurant just for the meal, what is the point of going to a restaurant when you could just go somewhere else where you wont get any service? Please dont anwser this with another question, like ... why not? Thats just a cop out. There must be a reason you would choose to goto a restaurant vs. some other place.

If you really feel the way you do, do me a favor then. Next time you go into a restaurant, just kindly explain to the waiter/waitress that you're just there for the food and you do not wish for her to serve it to you. I doubt they'll have a problem with it.

As for getting fucked on their pay, most servers make decent money because people tip and will continue to tip. That is why their hourly pay is so low, and why they do not bitch. Nobody here is complaining that there is an occasional "bad tipper". The only arguments presented here are focused on the logic behind "do not have to tip" philosophy. It seems that servers do not expect never to deal with a person who stiffs them, and they realize its part of their job, however that doesn't mean that they should just agree that its ok for somebody not to tip, because it will happen occasionly. That would just be stupid.

Oh yea, the reasoning isn't "if you don't like it, dont go"... The reasoning is "If you dont WANT it, dont go".. There is a huge difference. If you don't want the service, don't goto somewhere where they serve you. Doesn't that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.