• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

xbox 360 the coolest shit ever!!

I live just outside of chi-town in a fairly large city. Getting it here was out of the question, I heard you could go to Indiana and get one but that's a huge fucking hassle.

So how the fuck is it ? For fucking 700$ they better fly that shit to you next-day.

atlas said:
The PSP is pretty much a PS2 you can carry around in your pocket. Its got a *huge* screen, and the colors really pop. There are some good games (lumines is the only one that comes to mind, metal gear acid was fun until I beat it 5 hours later). The PSPs problem right now is that there are Zero good games out for it that aren't ports of PS2 games. The most fun I had on mine was loading old nes and snes roms onto the memory stick and playing those. Sony, however, seems hellbent on stopping the fun with firmware updates. I sold mine to a sucker who doesn't want to play anything other than GTA 3: redox.

The DS is the shit. The stylus is a good addition, and there are scads of good games (warioware: touched, feel the magic XX/XY, trauma center, Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows, Metroid pinball, Mariokart DS, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, et cetera). The battery life is better. It plays my GBA games. The only leg up on the DS the PSP has is its graphics, and its an MP3 player (well, sort of, its an ATRACC player).

The PSP has more good games than your letting on, but your right, it's pretty much a portable-cut-down PS2. Wipeout Pure has kept me completely occupied since I got it in September, which is saying something, and I usually have to fight my g/f, because she's too busy playing Lumines. Sure, SSX and Burnout are pretty good too (I'm too poor to play anything else), but yeah, they're just PS2 games condensed. I guess what Sony have been pushing lately is the other features... you can fit a good few movies on a memory stick, and with the latest firmware, MP3 and WMA are now possible. Still, what the fuck are sony thinking, not pushing games out for a such a good handheld. I'm not

Nintendo DS, on the other hand, I've had since Feb and I barely use it since I got my PSP. Mario was great (although, like the PSP, thats just a port), and Polarium had it's charms, but I couldn't help but feel completely underwhelmed by it. Most of the games I've tried seemed like tech demos with a bit of padding... especially XX/XY. The only reason I've held on to it, is that Metroid looks to be OK, and I've never played through a Metroid before). The touch screen was a mighty fine idea, but it seems no one has worked out really how to develop for it properly.

On a side note (and not aimed at you, atlas)... I can't beleive all the Nintendo fans bashing the PSP for only featuring ports when Nintendo has shoved the exact same thing down our throats for the past 10 years. It's always the same bunch of characters, doing the same damn thing. I appreciate the value and selling power of the property, but I can't for the life of my figure out why the world isn't completely sick to death of almost every important Nintendo game starring either the Mario cast, Link, or Metroid. If any other company had tried to pull this shit, they would have gone out of business years ago.

Not too sure where I'm going with my post. These thoughts just popped up reading your reply. Feel free not to respond as it'll probably lead us all off topic. But the loads off my chest now, and I feel better :)

My $0.02!

^^
Oh, you know I gotta answer that shit! Bashing the PSP for ports is based around the idea that there games are nearly identical to their PS2 forefathers. Bashing Nintendo for whoreing out their 1st party intellectual properties to new genres is something entirely different.

Sure, there have been plenty of fucking dumb games:

Anything that starts in "Mario" and ends in a sport
any mario party game (i fucking hate them all)
paper mario

Last I checked, Sony and Microsoft don't develop games for their consoles (buying bungie or rare doesn't count). So the comparison isn't valid. Still, what you're asking is for square/enix to stop making final fantasy games, For namco to stop making Teken or Soul Calibur, and for Konami to stop making Metal Gear. Thats absurd, and its only a percieved problem on nintendo because they're "T3h Kiddie Konsole", and because they develop nearly every good game available for their system. By the way, Sega used to do exacly what Nintendo is doing now. Sega and Nintendo are both, imo, authentic video game companies, companies who's only business is videogames. Sony and MS just saw a lucrative market and the opportunity to enter it, so they threw as much money as they could at it, and tried to get some market share. Sony has done well in that respect, due largely because of they way Nintendo handled 3rd party developers in the SNES/N64 era. The xbox is actually the closest console to being a failed project. The xbox devision is hemoraging money. The console is sold at a loss, and many xbox owners don't buy enough games for MS to recoup the loss.

Anyway,lets consider all the fire-ass franchises that have arrisen from nintendo 1st party developers.

Mario Kart: can anybody say new genre?
Super Smash Brothers: same as above, unless powerstone came out first.
Warioware: new genre, completely ridiculous, though

The touch screen was a mighty fine idea, but it seems no one has worked out really how to develop for it properly.
warioware touched
trauma center
trace memory
Advance wars (not a good use of the screen, but a killer franchise)
Castlevania dawn of sorrows (same as advance wars)

If you don't like at least one of those, you probably dont like games ;)

As for the other features of the PSP:

If I want to watch a movie, I don't want to hold a PSP the whole time, which you pretty much have to do, since the screen's viewable angle is pretty narrow. The UMD format, for movies at least, is dead in the water, unless you what last summer's shlockbuster put out by sony pictures studios. Goodfellas is never comming out for the PSP.

Most people who are going to throw down for a PSP already have an MP3 player that is better suited to the task, I know I do.

rat tat tat tat said:
I live just outside of chi-town in a fairly large city. Getting it here was out of the question, I heard you could go to Indiana and get one but that's a huge fucking hassle.

I live outside Atlanta, another one of those fairly large cities, and like I said, there were 360s as far as the eye could see on launch day. Face facts, you just got caught up in the hype machine, and paid twice what you should have.

^
obviously even if he did he's not gonna admit it and he didn't pay for it anyway his parents did.

now does anyone know when the elder scrolls 4 is going to be released?

If it was in the original line-up id make it worthwile for me.

atlas said:
I live outside Atlanta, another one of those fairly large cities, and like I said, there were 360s as far as the eye could see on launch day. Face facts, you just got caught up in the hype machine, and paid twice what you should have.

Ummm, so because there were a lot of xboxes where you live that means the whole country has em too? I live near DC and there werent any 360s left for miles.

$700 for a 360 is pretty ridiculous tho, i agree. I'm gonna wait for halo 3, when hopefully the price will be a little lower.

GentlemanLoser said:
But yeah, DD, no console that I can remember has been this flawed. On CNN microsoft said that it's because "You have to expect some issues with the hardware because it's just so advanced." Ha. Such a line of shit.

awesome rofl

/alt tabs back to playing games on PC, b/c consoles are the lose :p

only if you're an elf, WOOD. And judging by your hardon for mortiis, I'd say you were a high-level elf. ;)

They launch 360 in the UK today and it's stock shortages all over by all accounts. I'm going to wait until March/April I reckon.

Regarding the PSP/DS thing... I was totally blown away with the PSP when I got it but the sucker is gathering dust now. The DS is just so much more fun to play - Advance Wars DS and Mario Kart have kept me totally occupied for the last few months. I'm seriously considering losing the emulation and downloadable games on my 1.5 PSP just to be able to play GTA:LCS - I might actually use it then :/

Can anyone who actually has one review the 360 from their perspective...?

atlas said:
Bashing the PSP for ports is based around the idea that there games are nearly identical to their PS2 forefathers. Bashing Nintendo for whoreing out their 1st party intellectual properties to new genres is something entirely different.

Sure, there have been plenty of fucking dumb games:

Anything that starts in "Mario" and ends in a sport
any mario party game (i fucking hate them all)
paper mario

Last I checked, Sony and Microsoft don't develop games for their consoles (buying bungie or rare doesn't count). So the comparison isn't valid. Still, what you're asking is for square/enix to stop making final fantasy games, For namco to stop making Teken or Soul Calibur, and for Konami to stop making Metal Gear. Thats absurd, and its only a percieved problem on nintendo because they're "T3h Kiddie Konsole", and because they develop nearly every good game available for their system. By the way, Sega used to do exacly what Nintendo is doing now. Sega and Nintendo are both, imo, authentic video game companies, companies who's only business is videogames. Sony and MS just saw a lucrative market and the opportunity to enter it, so they threw as much money as they could at it, and tried to get some market share. Sony has done well in that respect, due largely because of they way Nintendo handled 3rd party developers in the SNES/N64 era. The xbox is actually the closest console to being a failed project. The xbox devision is hemoraging money. The console is sold at a loss, and many xbox owners don't buy enough games for MS to recoup the loss.

Anyway,lets consider all the fire-ass franchises that have arrisen from nintendo 1st party developers.

Mario Kart: can anybody say new genre?
Super Smash Brothers: same as above, unless powerstone came out first.
Warioware: new genre, completely ridiculous, though

warioware touched
trauma center
trace memory
Advance wars (not a good use of the screen, but a killer franchise)
Castlevania dawn of sorrows (same as advance wars)

If you don't like at least one of those, you probably dont like games ;)

As for the other features of the PSP:

If I want to watch a movie, I don't want to hold a PSP the whole time, which you pretty much have to do, since the screen's viewable angle is pretty narrow. The UMD format, for movies at least, is dead in the water, unless you what last summer's shlockbuster put out by sony pictures studios. Goodfellas is never comming out for the PSP.

Most people who are going to throw down for a PSP already have an MP3 player that is better suited to the task, I know I do.

I'm not asking for Konami to stop making MGS (etc) but I would like to see Nintendo expand it's genres further. A prime example is Mario Kart. It's the same damn game across every format. The SNES one was original, I'll admit (of course, it has to start somewhere, and every new franchise has a certain level of originality). But since then, there's been very little done to advance the series. The N64 version looked nice, but offered not much more other than uppy-downy bits, and multiple weapons. The GBA version was just the SNES version. The GC version was just the N64 version with new tracks and a double character gimmick which just made it confusing. I have yet to play the DS version but my guess is that it's just the N&4 version with new tracks and online.

But thats not really what my original point was. I guess I phrased it wrong.

I would like to see Nintendo expand their franchise. I'm getting a little sick of the sight of Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Links, Kirby, Wario, Peach, Toad etc. Sure, they're cute and adorable and the sell pretty well because everyone associates these characters with the roots of video gaming... but isn't it time to let sleeping dogs lie?

Of a quick look at gamerankings, lets see how many games from the top 10 contain the standard Nintendo cast of characters:

DS - 5 (I count Nintendogs as just one game)
64 - 5
GC - 5
(SNES wouldn't load for me)

OK, that looks stupid because it's always 5m but I didn't plan it that way. I'm not going to retype it, so there it is. I'm not sure who you would cast as the PS2 or XBOX crew, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit more varied than that. These characters aren't without charm... but some of them are getting on 20 years old. I'd go as far as saying they are getting stagnant and boring.

I don't mind one company making only one game or one cast of characters. It's when that idea becomes the platform for the whole damn console that I think things are getting stupid.

The game ideas (eg the fighting of smash brothers, the karting of mario kart, etc) are all great fun. I'm not bashing Nintendo's ability to make fun game engines, but, well, surely you get my point by now.

As for the PSP... It has it's definate advantages. One of the features that stood out for me was the movie viewing. UMD's are an expensive ripoff, yep, but you can also convert your own movies at home, which also look pretty damn nice on the screen, despite what anyone says about the resolution adjustments.
I've certainly enjoyed being able to watch a movie while stuck in the bus for over an hour, or whatever. Provided you have the avi or whatever of a certain movie, the PSP version is pretty simple to make. I'm not to sure which PSP you looked at, but my viewing angle rocks. It's gotta be at least 135 degrees. And finally, your right, theres better equipment for MP3 playing, but still, it's a nice feature to have in there, even if you never use it.

Last edited:
Mario Kart DS is right up there with the best of them - I think it might actually be the best. The online mode alone is digital crack. If anyone here has it, add me as a friend - 184744 312711

^^
Is your PS2 still around or broken now ? Mine worked great for a couple years then -bang- dead. greaaaaaat

I bought one of the original PS2s and it still lives today...with little problems.

Yeah who has a 360? Please tell us what you think. I've been reading a lot of reviews and it doesn't seem like the launch was what Microsoft expected. This early jump might not help them at all...but then again we'll have to see how the PS3 and Revolution turn out. The motion sensor-control of the Revolution sounds quite interesting, though with Nintendo's history it'll likely end up like the Robot from the NES or the Virtual Boy and just be a lame gimmick.

Face it!! No matter how good the X-box 360, PS3, or Konami DeathRune will be, the majority of it's fans or players will always find something to bitch and moan about the consoles.
Before something comes out, your mind gets hyped (thanks to the way over the top advertisements from these huge companies) and then when it finally does come out, it's either the games, or the graphics you don't like.

You people haven't even given the consoles a chance to launch yet and you're saying they're shitty! lol, of course they are, you haven't given them a chance to get established yet.
Think back to when the playstation and N64 were first released... none of the games were blockbusters, it takes at least half a year to a year before they start making a great lineup of games, because the game producers need a chance/trial to see what is currently selling well.

I can't wait until Xbox360 gets released here in Australia, I totally drool over the elder scrolls 4 Oblivion game. I just hope that after doing so many quests in the game that it doesn't crash. (EDSIII was the most buggiest game I have ever played)

LapDawg said:
I
Yeah who has a 360? Please tell us what you think. I've been reading a lot of reviews and it doesn't seem like the launch was what Microsoft expected..

Well, I have it and have played six games so far. It's the games on the console that make it, not the console itself. Gun was awesome but I'm sure it was on the other systems. Condemnded was out of this world, it was honestly the only game that made me scared and almost made me not want to play it. Now I have Call of Duty 2, Perfect Dark Zero, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, and Need for Speed: Most Wanted. All of these games are awesome, especially the online play which is addictive as fuck. I couldn't go back to a PS2 after using this, cuz the XBOX Live is awesome, the achievements are cool since they make you feel as though you're accomplishing something when you're playing a game. I like all the little tweaks you could do like changing your gamer picture, and your motto and all this other little shit.

It's awesome, buy it, but once the price goes down and make sure you get the premium system otherwise you won't be able to play your games. Also, being able to connect an iPod is awesome since I can just listen to Sublime while being in the middle of a WWII battle in Call of Duty 2. I'm suspended for being fucked up on k-pins right now, and this is sure to keep me busy for a month or so since winter break cuts through the middle of my suspension.

Oh by the way, Saint's Row is going to be such a kickass game that I can't wait, plus Scarface and Godfather games.

I think the price is outrageous for what it is. If I wanted a computer id boot up my labtop, not the 360