• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

XBOX 360 Scratching discs

Ruski Nath

Bluelighter
As if the Xbox 360 wasn't bad enough...I'm sure many Xbox 360 owners know what I'm talking about. Whenever you change the orientation of the 360 while the disc is spinning inside, the console scratches the disc to hell. You get these big ring-shaped scratches along the disc and it often ruins the game you're playing.

I discovered this while playing GOW, when I lifted the 360 up to get a piece of paper underneath it (I lay my 360 hoizontally, not vertically). Then I heard this terrible noise coming from the inside and my game froze. I opened the tray to find my disc completely ruined. I sent my GOW disc to be replaced, but it took a little over a month to get it back. I can't believe what a half-assed job they did on this console...

Anyone else have this happen? Comments or frustrations?? Vent here.

that was a problem that was supposed to be fixed. Do you have one of the early released systems? I.e. the ones that cost $400

^ Now THATS interesting...maybe now they'll do something about it...

I bought my original 2 years ago for about $300 dollars. It broke once (the red ring of death) so I replaced it. Then I got that one replaced. And the next one was replaced too. So the one I have now is fairly new (I assume), but it still has this disc-scratching problem.

Last edited:
id like to punch Gates right in his Multi-Billion dollar nose. i bet hundred dollar bills would fly out

A friend got an xbox 360 and never experienced the problems listed below..no red lights, no scratch disks...maybe you need to be more carefull with your stuff guys...(sorry for bad English )

My GTA 4 disc has been semi ruined because of this.
(Not only that but my console broke aswell).
So I went and bought a new console the other day.
When I got it home, I carefully peeled off the serial number barcode thingy on the back and switched it with the one on my old broken console.
I'm gonna wait a few weeks and return my "new" xbox saying it's f*cked and I want a replacement.
Then sell it and get most of my original money back.
Getting it fixed would of cost me £50+
Hopefully this way will only cost me £30. :\

why on earth would you move a system with a spinning disc in it?

i dunno, it seems like a given to me. if you need to move it, turn it off first. 8)

To be fair, mine did it whilst stationary.
I've heard it's a common problem. Hence the microsoft disc replaement programme.

A friend got an xbox 360 and never experienced the problems listed below..no red lights, no scratch disks...maybe you need to be more carefull with your stuff guys...(sorry for bad English )

only 2/3 of the original 360s still function 100 percent. it has nothing to do with misuse. its a hardware issue as stated above. what do u think 1/3 of 360 owners are using them as footballs?

Last edited:
only 2/3 of the original 360s still function 100 percent. it has nothing to do with misuse. its a hardware issue as stated above. what do u think 2/3 of 360 owners are using them as footballs?

No, it's just that i don't know someone who get troubles with his 360...i mean i've heard about these problems but never heard of them around me...i didn't know that 2/3 of 360 owners got problems, that only why i've tough it was something to do with misuse...(sorry for bad english ).

why on earth would you move a system with a spinning disc in it?

i dunno, it seems like a given to me. if you need to move it, turn it off first. 8)

I barely tilted it!!! My PS2 never did that to me when I tilted it, so how could I infer that a newer generation system would do it?

physics, perhaps? you know what happens when you spin a bicycle wheel really fast and then tilt it?

and didn't one need to clip the discs in the ps2? the xbox has only a loose tray. i'd never dare even having it upright.

My XBOX went E74 tonight (bottom right quadrant flashing red). Well pissed off as I'd just discovered the ability to copy games to the hard drive and be able to play without feeling like a jet plane was taking off in the same room.

It's basically fucked after less than 10 months of light-medium use. I have warrantee and insurance, but I really can't be arsed with this shit (you know I'll have to fuck around with this again in another 9 months). Thinking about getting the MS replacement and selling it (along with peripherals and catalogue of games) and buying a PS3.

Never had a disc scratched though.

That's just how the 360 works. I have gotten 2 different ones replaced and they always skip, scratch games, and it drives me crazy. Just be glad you haven't got the RED RING OF DEATH

What is the policy regarding RROD. I heard 61 % of all xbox 360's that came off the belt were failing in under 1 2 months... and I heard with proof of purchase you recieve a box and they fix it or send you a refurbished one or another one sent in earlier already fixed...... Is this true if you have proof of purchase or was this a temporary thing? Ive had my xbox for exaclt one year and every 506 times I get the RROD but then I reboot and everythings fine, ive only had 1 game freeze up ever.... I'm not sure, I don't need to return it but if it goes on the fritz in wondering how much it will cost. If i'm not covered.... shipping there and back and the fix should be 50 or under but I have a feeling shipping and the fix would be more like 80-100 without proof of purchase, or if they don't offer what I heard they do. Anyone buy a 360 about 1 year ago or 6 months ago, get the rrod and receive a free fix? I mean microsoft should fix them for free with proof of purchase... especially if the consumer cover shipping one way its only fair. They knowledgably let out 60 percent of their units for over a year that were defective.... now Iheard the failure rate is under 30% for 12 months of use. I use mine 5 days a week minimum 2 hours each day...

i saw the red ring of lights once, i lept up to reboot and it was fine. i've had the machine a little over a year.

you don't even need a proof of purchase. I bought mine used and I just told them the serial number when I got RROD. It was 2 years old and they still covered it. apparently all RROD issues are under warranty for 3 years.

fuck microsoft? fuck you. go buy a ps3 then. i didn't think so.