• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax

ladycodeine

Greenlighter
When I was visiting Bangkok it was easy to get Xanax as docs and local pharm would sell them as sleeping pills =D

when I returned to the UK I found the NHS won't prescribe Xanax but I am lead to believe that in the uk it's called Alprazolam, can GPs prescribe it privately? It was the only thing that helped me with anxiety and helped me sleep :?

Alprazolam is the active ingredient, Xanax is the brand name; however, depending on where you live it may be sold under other names like Xanor or Ksalol, not to mention lots and lots of generics.

The reason GP's will no longer just prescribe Xanax (or generic Alprazolam for that matter) willy-nilly is simply that it is an extremely addictive substance that should not be used as a first-line treatment for anxiety and insomnia.

Alprazolam is the active ingredient, Xanax is the brand name; however, depending on where you live it may be sold under other names like Xanor or Ksalol, not to mention lots and lots of generics.

The reason GP's will no longer just prescribe Xanax (or generic Alprazolam for that matter) willy-nilly is simply that it is an extremely addictive substance that should not be used as a first-line treatment for anxiety and insomnia.

I wish our doctors where like Thailand doctors, they will quiet happily prescribe a bag of little blue Xanax pills every week

Doctors can prescribe benzos although they do to a lesser extent than psychiatrists. Benzos are rarely prescribed for insomnia since they lose their efficacy after 2-3 weeks, they are mostly prescribed for anxiety, stress, phobias etc...

If you go to a psychiatrist they'll hand them out like candies, but yes as the other poster mentioned they are quite addictive

Why do people spend so much money on benzos, it works for anxiety but I don't see any potential for recreational use

they are the cheapest drug on the market here , close tie with ethanol..

I like the fact that there's an alprazolam brand name with "lol" embedded in it.

Also, "extremely addictive"? Is this Xanax we're talking about?

I always stock up on xanax when i am i Bangkok which is usually once a year. I dont even bother going to the doctors..i just go straight to the same chemist every time. Its probably better to get a prescription in case you get caught with them as possession without a prescription in Thailand is illegal. I never bother though.

lol. yeah, the confluence of bad prescribing practices and patients who do little to no research on the drugs they're actually taking every day = bad news. Becoming dependent on a drug due to following a prescription regiment set forth by a GP does not mean a drug is addictive, though.

And no fuckin' shit, taking 6 mgs of Xanax every single goddamn day is not good. Thanks Fox News, never realized before now that "popping Xanax" was bad for me!

Ok, "extremely" addictive might have been pushing it, atleast if you're comparing it to opioids, coke or meth.
Still, I'd say there are enough benzo addicts to say with confidence that they should be considered "addictive"... plus we are talking about a class of drugs with withdrawal symptoms that are so severe they can actually kill you.

And lastly not every drug has the same potential for addiction in everyone. Plenty of people are addicted to nicotine - I don't even consider that stuff recreational. Plenty of alcoholics too - again, compared to Xanax or Ativan, good old ethanol barely even ranks as recreational for me. Being prone to anxiety, however, I felt like benzos were the bees knees, and years of low-dose dependence quickly escalated into addiction when I hit a severe mental health crisis.