• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax-Klonopin withdrawal. Please help!

suffering1959

Greenlighter
A month ago I started dealing with a health problem that has largely passed. But during the month, I was taking Xanax off and on for anxiety, not more than 1 mg/day. Strangely, as my health situation improved, I became more and more anxiety-ridden, but tried to stay off the Xanax. Last week a doctor prescribed me Zoloft, but I'm reluctant to take it, and instead got a prescribed Klonopin, 1 mg/day. This was 5 days ago. I did not want to take the whole dosage, I know the stuff is dangerous. I've been taking .5/day, and trying to get off it. Day before yesterday I thought I was losing my mind. The stuff doesn't seem to help when I take it, maybe make things worse. So I cut it down to .25/day, taken in the morning. Yesterday wasn't too bad, I get better in the evening. Very little sleep last night, took .25 early morning, I'm a basket case today.
Should I be taking the full dosage for a while, before trying to taper off? My voice is hoarse, weird. Any suggestions on amount to take, for how long, and how long this process can/will take? I'm almost ready to check into a psych ward, but worried they'll put me on more of these drugs, and I'll never get out of the vicious cycle.

Any help??? Thank you.

It is only 'making things worse' because you are going into WDs but klonopin is no more 'dangerous' than xanax. Just take the RXd dosage and follow your Dr.'s taper plan.

I don't have a taper plan, only been reading about that. I've only taken the Klonopin - .25 - .5 mg/day for five days. Is that long enough to go through this? Or am I going through the withdrawal of the preceding few weeks of Xanax (average .5 mg/day) ? Or both? Afraid I can't sleep...I suppose taking Dalmane (15 mg), which I have some of, would just make it all worse. ???

I'm reluctant to go on a anti-depressant because I understand they kill creativity (I'm an artist), sex drive, etc. And I know they take two or three weeks to work....and once I get on one, I doubt I'd ever get off of it. Really hoping to get thruough this benzo withdrawal....if possible, and wonder how long it will take. Sorry, not too coherent at the moment. Thanks for your reply.

as for the antidepress try viibryd it has none of those side effects.

with the benzos if you have any WD they should be very minor, you only been taking them for a month and are a very low levels if you wanted to you could CT. but if you want to tapper dont try to taper off all in the matter of three days it is supposed to take a month to tapper down from a month on.

Melatonin will help with sleep! And vitamins and excercise, sounds cliche I know but it helps. Been there and know the feeling. I would take full dose of kpin due to its longer half life then go half a day for a while then every other day