• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

would like someone with more experience than my self.

subactivist

Greenlighter
one of my friends was dependent upon opiates at a time in his life before switching to suboxone an additional 8 moths. It has been a little over two years now and he states that the quality of life just seems dull. fails at human interaction and has no interest in being apart of society unless you count desires he sees as unrealistic. He is currently debating if he should just throw in the towel and get back on except this time it would be zub versus sub. Opinions of the decision to become a lifer? is it still considered clean? any answers or experiences are greatly appreciated

I don't think zub or sub is the answer. I suggest to try some saint johns wart and SAM E vitamin as it will server you better in the long run.
If you really want to see what your personality is like try this a few days I think you will love it if you are clean.

Well, tell me something, when did you begin feeling this way, OP? Was it actually upon freeing yourself from the bupe? Or did it start prior?
How do you know returning to your medication will resolve your issues?
Personally, I believe that you may feel some relief upon restarting.....but that it would be short lived.
I do not feel that you would have lasting satisfaction with your decision to "become a lifer" because that relief may very quickly wane and you're left feeling the same- except now that monkey's returned to your back.
Do you mind me asking whether you have any known mental health conditions? Or, it very well could be PAWS....or a combination of the two.
The main objective, to me, in getting clean is to get yourself and your life in order....I feel that if a person is handling their shit and not out committing crimes, being a responsible and productive member of society, who gives a fuck if they choose to be in a program designed to assist with this, even if they are being handed psychoactive substances.....it's no one's business but their own, and THEIR decision. Clean or not isn't even the right question for people to be asking.

-PA

Well, tell me something, when did you begin feeling this way, OP? Was it actually upon freeing yourself from the bupe? Or did it start prior?
How do you know returning to your medication will resolve your issues?
Personally, I believe that you may feel some relief upon restarting.....but that it would be short lived.
I do not feel that you would have lasting satisfaction with your decision to "become a lifer" because that relief may very quickly wane and you're left feeling the same- except now that monkey's returned to your back.
Do you mind me asking whether you have any known mental health conditions? Or, it very well could be PAWS....or a combination of the two.
The main objective, to me, in getting clean is to get yourself and your life in order....I feel that if a person is handling their shit and not out committing crimes, being a responsible and productive member of society, who gives a fuck if they choose to be in a program designed to assist with this, even if they are being handed psychoactive substances.....it's no one's business but their own, and THEIR decision. Clean or not isn't even the right question for people to be asking.

-PA[/QUOTe

thank you for the response. hits the nail on the head and helps me out a ton, appreciate the advice!!

If you get off subs, you won't be truly well for a year.

Honestly, I think using subs can potentially be a net positive for your life. Using subs correctly could improve your life more than if you went without.

So here's what you do: first off, get switched to subutex, if you can. Say the suboxone is giving you migraines that are stopping you from being able to work.

People commonly say that the naloxone has no effect, but this is wrong. They say that because the bup has a higher affinity for the mu reecptor, the naloxone has no effect. While it is true that bup has a higher affinity and will outcompete naloxone, what they don't realize is that at doses of 32mg of buprenorphine, there's still 20% of the mu receptors untouched, which can and are bound by naloxone. At doses of 8mg it's like 30%. So yeahx subutex is better, we also ha e double blinded studies unanimously showing bup is preferred to bup/nal.

Okay, so switching to subutex is important (it's also much cheaper). Secondly, start lowering your dose .

Many, many people report horrible side effects at high doses, no high or euphoria, and the lower they get the higher they become. Bup is used at doses of 50mcg (0.05mg) for pain management, so it's very effective.

Start lowering your dose by .25mg-1mg a week. Honestly you could likely just drop your dose from 8mg to 4mg in the first week pretty easily. Tapering only becomes difficult at lose doses. First week drop from 8-4, second week from 4-3, 3rd weem 3-2, 2-1.5, 1.5-1.25, 1.25-1.1, 1.1-.9, etc. Every week see where you're at. I'd drop to around 3mg and see how you feel. If you start feeling happy again, I'd recommend just staying there. If you want to quit completely, tapering is your best option anyways, so you'll have to taper regardless of of you want to quit or try a lower dose. But I'd recommend getting below 4mg and seeing how you feel, you'll probably start feeling a glow and euphoria again, which isn't a bad thing. Hope it works out.