• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Would anyone be kind enough to describe the "rush" from I.V. injection of heroin?

Whenever somebody says that they want to switch to IV use, I always say that they should take a break from the drugs to clear their mind before making such a serious decision. The thought process while strung out is so different compared to how you think when you are not hooked. When you're strung out you justify switching to the needle as a means to be more efficient at getting high.

To somebody that is not strung out, they think of the notion of IVing heroin more clearly, like it's taking a drug made in god knows what conditions, then smuggled god knows how, and cut with god knows what, and after obtaining it after a series of shady interactions, the user puts that substance into their veins. That's why people that have never done drugs, or people that are not heavy into it can't really see how someone would resort to IVing, but people that are strung out start justifying the switch to IV use as being a way to need less drugs to achieve a good high.

Very well put TommyBoy.............

"Take the best orgasm you've ever had... multiply it by a thousand, and you're still nowhere near it"

I say it's the best feeling in the world followed by the worst feeling in the world. That is of course if you have been using for a minute. And you don't have back within 12 hrs.

I read through all of the statements & none of them make me want to go out to shoot up......I guess unless ive actually done it, I wouldnt understand which is understandable. Just like sex for the first time, unless you do it, no matter how much someone describes it, it isnt the same unless you actually do it.

The thing is, the description everyone describes about the rush & high of heroin/needle use leads everyone to quit & get help eventually because of their "bad" habit, unlike sex & an orgasm, you dont end up in rehab or need help to quit.

What im trying to say is why in the world would someone want to start using a needle? I find no glamour in actually doing it vs watching the movies & watching people shoot up, although I kind of feel like im getting high along with the actors shooting up in these movies, im also disgusted by sticking a needle in my body ( hate needles with a passion).

Sorry to hijack the thread, after reading the statements, I had to throw in my opinion.

Hey, I was deathly afraid of needles, too. Now I have an extreme liking for them. I definitely have a needle habit, even though I no longer use drugs (unless you count Suboxone via IV). What brings people to use the needle, that's an easy answer for me! Most of the time, a heroin addict is already addicted before they use a needle (not ALL the time, but many times, yes) and its like this mystery..you hear everyone talk about the "rush" and you hear everyone advise you to "never touch a needle"..it made me curious. I thought I could be that ONE person that escaped the needle. I wanted to know that I could defy the needle. I wanted to know why people said, "once you use the needle, you never go back".

I never went back. I have the track marks to remind me of how quickly I gave up on caring for myself. Yeah, I still use a needle to inject my Suboxone..I'm not proud of it, but I don't know how to ditch the needle yet.

Hey, I was deathly afraid of needles, too. Now I have an extreme liking for them. I definitely have a needle habit, even though I no longer use drugs (unless you count Suboxone via IV). What brings people to use the needle, that's an easy answer for me! Most of the time, a heroin addict is already addicted before they use a needle (not ALL the time, but many times, yes) and its like this mystery..you hear everyone talk about the "rush" and you hear everyone advise you to "never touch a needle"..it made me curious. I thought I could be that ONE person that escaped the needle. I wanted to know that I could defy the needle. I wanted to know why people said, "once you use the needle, you never go back".

I never went back. I have the track marks to remind me of how quickly I gave up on caring for myself. Yeah, I still use a needle to inject my Suboxone..I'm not proud of it, but I don't know how to ditch the needle yet.

Damn.

I get the orgasm comparison in that, with both, there's a build-up/anticipation followed by a full body payoff. For me, the feeling is just very different. More serene as opposed to explosive.
I loved the moment when you first register and see the plume of blood, followed by the short wait for the shot to grab hold.
When it does..... I can feel it in my spine first. Starting at the bottom, and quickly working its way up. It's a warm, tingly, immensely comforting feeling. I definitely get the comparisons to the warmest most comfortable blanket or a warm/hot bath. It's enveloping warmth and beauty.
I'd usually boot sitting down or sit down immediately afterwards. I always loved to feel the rush, close my eyes, think wonderful, opiated thoughts and drift into a dope dream. Floating, serene, painless in the truest sense of the word. It's blissful.
That's also why it's so dangerous, obviously. If you don't get the needle attraction or are pretty content with your own ROA, I'd say, stay that way.

First my legs feel warm, knees start to buckle, a little diziness, and then a warm feeling in my chest and all over my body, tingling, and extreme euphoria for 5-10 minutes.

How about the time that I don't remember 'the rush' but do remember waking up in the bathroom, pulling myself up off the floor, and having a terrible pain on the side of my head. Apparently, after I IV'ed, I collapsed and cracked my head on the side of the porcelan toilet, sink, or tub. I was home alone and could have not woken up and no one would have found me. I had a large lump on the side of my head for like a week afterwards and my wife was suspicious of what happened. In retrospect I was very, very lucky.

I have not tried to get a 'rush' out of IV'ing heroin since, and in fact hardly ever IV it anymore since that event. I'm almost exclusively using suboxone and benzo's now (along with caffiene and nicotine) which all work as a great combo for me. I'm going to switch to subutex as I don't have dope cravings any longer and have only used it 1-2 times in the past month.

My message is: be careful my friend.

For me, it's like all my muscles clench and tense up, and then are instantly relaxed as warmth and coziness pulses through my veins.

oh shit, valium caffiene and nicotine. you're a crazy dude.

i kid.

lol, Sort of by accident after switching to suboxone and klonopins I re-started drinking 3-5 cups of coffee per day rather than only 1 small cup in the am on work days. I also recently re-started smoking cigs like 6 months ago due to tremendous stress and reverting to this as an unhealthy coping mechanism secondary to being overwhelmed by life stressors. I subsequently switched to those new 'e cigarettes' as a step towards quitting. I then started buying the chems used to refill the e-cig's, including buying pure nicotine liquid from china (rather than premixed carrier fluid that the nicotine is mixed with). As a result I can intake much larger doses of nicotine by making the juice I mix as strong as I want.

Then in work I was discussing with a social worker friend my using e-cigs and the topic of the benefits to brain chemistry that nicotine has. At that point I realized that the reason I have been feeling much, much better recently is in part due to the intake of nicotine. It has benefits to the brain just like caffiene has.

So I sort of by accident stumbled on realizing that I'm intaking caffiene and nicotine which both have psychological/brain chemistry effects which are of great benefit to me over and above the bennies I get from a benzo which helps for the obvious reasons as does an opiate.

I do have my credentials as having been a heavy substance user as well. For a year and a half I was snorting 1/2 oz of uncut coke every week. And experience with a variety of other drugs. I just mentioned that stuff because it was a new realization to me that I stumbled upon a combo of drugs (a couple of which most all of us, including me, dont' think about as having benefits to the mind and am very excited and pleased/content moreso in my own skin than I have been in a very long time) that is the best combo I have ever been on, including anti-depressants, benzo's alone or in combo with anti depressants, etc.

Thanks for the chuckle though. I realize that the post I made is out of the norm and thanks for pointing out the humor in it. Life's a trip and I always enjoy a good laugh.

At the risk of sounding stupid, would smoking enough in one hit give you a rush comparable to shooting it up?

Headrush, light headed, calm, relaxed, feeling good, warm like a blanket, and just so loved. <3

In response to ApocalypseNow: It's not a stupid question, but no. Smoking heroin is milder, no matter how big a hit you take. Unless you're shooting a really small amount. Really small.
A smoked hit is gonna absorb slower and contain less dope than a good sized shot that's being injected straight into your bloodstream.

This is for XTcake...I felt that way too. I always said I WOUlD NEVER. I always also thought pills (opiates) were like taking Tylenol. I never saw the point until a friend told me about percoset. I tried it and it kept going from there. Eventually, polls got too expensive. I needed something stronger. My bf was a recovered H addict. We were able to get it, well it was pretty much thrown at us and he refused to let me shoot it so I snorted it. I felt nothing. My tolerance was too high. I begged him just once please, just once. Finally after a few hours he did it for me. (I could never do it on myself). He does it so quick for me. After that night I used for about a year and a half. Thankfully I was able to stop before it got out of control. But my point is, u really don't know until u do it urself. My bf would describe it and it was nothing like actually feeling it.

It is the best feeling any drug can give you.

A lot of people claim the hydromorphone rush to be more intense, and that may be so, but unlike heroin or morphine, hydromorphone can't stand on its own two legs for all that long. While heroin/morphine can go on and on and on.

Hummm...it's like..getting hit by a train that's carrying the sun. ;-) And, the Hydromorph rush is like..getting hit by two trains at the same time carrying the sun. But it def. doesn't have the legs that H has. Of course, you could always just add a bag or two of H to your Dilaudid shot and problem solved, all the bang of the dilaudid with the lasting time of good dope. Just ya' know..be careful. Hah. Nothing like it..unless of course you add a twenty of coke to that little mix..but thats just me.

Cheers.

Hummm...it's like..getting hit by a train that's carrying the sun. ;-) And, the Hydromorph rush is like..getting hit by two trains at the same time carrying the sun. But it def. doesn't have the legs that H has. Of course, you could always just add a bag or two of H to your Dilaudid shot and problem solved, all the bang of the dilaudid with the lasting time of good dope. Just ya' know..be careful. Hah. Nothing like it..unless of course you add a twenty of coke to that little mix..but thats just me.

Cheers.

Ooh! Dangerous cocktail there. I love the hydromorphone rush, but the heroin and morphine highs are so much better.

I never compared it to sex lol thats wack. For me iv heroin would just be such a rush it would almost take my breath away slowly making way to floor...that was in the beggining. After the first twenty times things are different.

For me it's like the gravity that was holding me has been released... like I was being weighed down without realizing it or something, I don't know how to describe it. I often feel like I'm floating. I untie the tourniquet, then a few seconds later I taste the dope and get that "i'm floating" type of rush. During the rush, everything just feels gooood. All is right in the world. It's one of the best feelings ever imo. I'd say it's better than sex, but maybe I just haven't met a guy who knows exactly what he's doing yet... hahah