• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News With Promise of Legalization, Psychedelic Companies Joust Over Future Profits

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

With Promise of Legalization, Psychedelic Companies Joust Over Future Profits

Andrew Jacobs
New York Times
25 Oct 2022

One patent application for psilocybin therapy claimed its treatment rooms were unique because they featured “muted colors,” high-fidelity sound systems and cozy furniture. Another sought exclusivity on a therapist reassuringly holding the hand of a patient. Then there’s the patent seeking a monopoly on nearly all methods of delivering the drug to patients, including vaginally and rectally.

Humans have been consuming psilocybin, or “magic,” mushrooms for millenniums, and most synthetic hallucinogens have been around for decades. But as excitement about the promise of psychedelic medicine reaches a fever pitch, drawing hundreds of millions in investment, there is a growing scrum of psychedelic companies seeking to gain a financial edge through a blizzard of patent claims — or at least to scare off potential competitors.

The patent application that described therapy room décor and drug delivery methods was filed by Compass Pathways, a psychedelic medicine company valued at $450 million, that, with at least 50 claims, has been especially aggressive with its intellectual property filings. Over the past three years, its competitors have collectively filed more than a hundred applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, some of which have been granted and others rejected.

Some call it spiritual. Some call it magic. Some call it medicine. I think it's way to early to start giving corporations the power to patent and own these chemicals. We haven't even finished any sort of conclusive medical research.

This scene comes to mind and is very pertiment in my opinion:

Maybe they should all take a significant dose.. maybe two or three. Greedy entities can eat shit.

Paper empire.. the current elite took our world over with restricted paper documents that transitioned into electronic permissions and digital bank accounts.

Book burning.. how hard is the modern version going to be with digital information?

Last edited:
These bastards can not patent psychedelics lol. They did not invent them. They can get have a drug patent if they make a totally novel compound, if not they can rightly fuck off big time.

psychedelic thepary should be free or cost a few dollars in the comfort of your self and your own place. Not pay some silly cunt mega bucks for each session so they can play shit music and sit there for 8 hours.

not surprising at all tbh

Why would it be? We live in a capitalist system that permeates literally every aspect of our lives. Why should this be any different? Completely predictable

I don't think it's really about these drugs getting patented by companies (psilocybin getting patented makes about as much sense as THC getting patented), it's more about the accoutrements of the "psychedelic experience". In any case, yeah it's really dumb and regrettable that people are try to do a cash grab with psychedelics...people will be like hey bro, wanna buy some crypto, maybe a little acid? (I wish.)

But that's our society. Dumb, tawdry, transactional, full of idiots and vultures looking for a quick buck. It's better that they're legal and subject to such indignities, rather than be illegal (and honestly the subculture around them was often times equally stupid when they were illegal tbh. I've got a really good attitude about things tonight lol)

Why would it be? We live in a capitalist system that permeates literally every aspect of our lives. Why should this be any different? Completely predictable

I don't think it's really about these drugs getting patented by companies (psilocybin getting patented makes about as much sense as THC getting patented), it's more about the accoutrements of the "psychedelic experience". In any case, yeah it's really dumb and regrettable that people are try to do a cash grab with psychedelics...people will be like hey bro, wanna buy some crypto, maybe a little acid? (I wish.)

But that's our society. Dumb, tawdry, transactional, full of idiots and vultures looking for a quick buck. It's better that they're legal and subject to such indignities, rather than be illegal (and honestly the subculture around them was often times equally stupid when they were illegal tbh. I've got a really good attitude about things tonight lol)
yeah that's pretty much my point lol

i would agree the subculture was equally stupid when they were underground. but what actually concerns me is that now those idiots will have platforms and clueless people will listen to them.