Willingly going back into addiction to beat it

batmanplaybaseball

Bluelighter
This post was inspired by something i posted in another thread. The question was about addiction and i said that if you are suffering from psychological trauma of a bad withdrawal still several months out of it, it might be possible to start your usage over and try to end it properly. (slay the whale so to speak)

My situation is this, i am currently about seven months out of a heavy year long opiate, methadone and finally suboxone habit. Coming out of the suboxone was very traumatic for me, i was in a really bad situation at the time. I had planned to travel and let the suboxone run out, thus forcing me to quit, but this ended up being a bad idea and i was left stranded in a strange land with no source of help or assistence. Anyway, through sheer lack of an alternative i made it through, but i still all these months on have a feeling of depression and just a general feeling like something is wrong.

What i want to know is, does anyone have any experience with this. Having come out of a bad withdrawal that left you chronically messed up, and then using again and doing a better withdrawal experience the second time.

dawg dont go back on opiates... thats just fucking fooling yourself.

If anything, find some pure mdma. lol :)

Listen to some crazy ass music and bob your head. Its the only thing that helps me!!

There's not going to be a "better withdrawal experience." There are no good withdrawal experiences. Even if it was better, you're just setting yourself back in terms of getting past the PAWS. This really sounds like your brain trying to fool you into using opiates again. This is a really bad plan. You aren't going to get ahead in your personal life by going back to addiction. You can move past these issues through other options, like counseling, group therapy, or even by talking to someone you trust and know. Please don't go back, it won't help you at all.

i think that going back on will cause a hell of a lot more problems then what you believe you could resolve with this. no withdrawal experience is going to be a glowing memory to you, and would be way more healthy to come to terms with how you stopped using without putting yourself in that same hellish situation

What i want to know is, does anyone have any experience with this. Having come out of a bad withdrawal that left you chronically messed up, and then using again and doing a better withdrawal experience the second time.

coudnt it be your addiction itself that is causing you to feel this way? a really bad withdrawal could linger in your mind as a starting point for these feelings for you, but the cause?

Last edited:
I agree with the others. This is a pretty outrageous idea. I know that there is a wide variety of ideas out there in the professional world concerning drug recovery treatment. From run-of-the-mill tapering to the tennants of AA/NA to even things like MDMA therapy. I've never heard of one explained like this, though. With that said, I'll try and think of it in terms of positives and negatives:

(+) If done according to plan, you may "feel better" psychologically afterward. Not really anything medical, but it might just "sit better in your memory."
(+) You might get to have a bit of fun, at first. What comes down first goes up...

(-) It will cost money.
(-) You're adding illegal activity to your life.
(-) There is a major threat of a bad relapse.
(-) Detoxing/tapering is never fun. No matter how you do it.
(-) You risk further hurting your liver, other body systems, and possibly putting yourself at risk for ODing.
(-) You'll likely be in it alone, as I don't see many people from the medical field sponsoring such an effort.

That's about it for now, but from just that, it does not sound like a good deal to me. I can understand that you ended it on what felt like a bad effort last time, and you want to prove to yourself that you could do it right if given a second chance. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, that you're not making excuses just to go on another run. But to be honest, I don't think this is a good idea at all. You made it clean and that should be all that matters. Many cannot even do that once. You're pushing your luck if you want to volunteer to try it twice.

Thanks for the responses, lots of good points.

Where i was coming from was that sometimes if a person has a bad trip on psychedelics, and they cannot shake that feeling, it can be recommended that they try tripping again to come out of it.

It doesn't make any sense to willingly go back to something you were addicted to once you've finally broken free. This is the hold that addiction has on people. Don't fall for the trickery. How is losing yourself to addiction again going to help you in any way? Stay strong.

Going through another traumatic experience won't make you forget your last one. I would also say that your mind is playing tricks on you. Good thing you posted here before just going ahead and doing it

edit: Also, remembering a less traumatic experience more vividly might not even be a good thing.. I would say it's good that withdrawal sucked so much because it might deter you from using again

Thanks for the responses, lots of good points.

Where i was coming from was that sometimes if a person has a bad trip on psychedelics, and they cannot shake that feeling, it can be recommended that they try tripping again to come out of it.

psychedelics and opiates are NOT the same, with psychecdelics a bad trip can change your patterns of thoughts, with a year of opiates your receptors in the brain have changed in density and the brain structures and connections between them have been altered. big difference.

opiates do not change your brain overnight

stay off the opiates your logic is of someone who wants to be on opiates and tell themselves false logic to justify this backwards trajectory:\

sounds to me like you aren't enjoying your life-look into ways to change it for the better instead of playing head in the sand

It really sounds like your body needs vitamins and such. As Robert Downey Jr. said once in an interview(something to the sort-), "When you kick, stay kicked cuz you never know when that boat may pass by again(getting off of the junk that is)... it could take another 7 years to come around again." Also, online there is a good write up by a doc about kicking opiates and methadone... intitled, "There is no free lunch" The advice in it really helps to restore the body back to health. To completely contraindicate everything I said... as MJ said< " Don't stop to you get enough." and in the amazing book, The Prophet, on the topic of desire, "Do what your desire is until you get enough because an unfullfilled desire will again come back, or always be lurking in your soul. This unworthy, not so right quote, but you get the jist... is what justified many many years of opiate addiction in my own life. Now I'm kicking Methdone for what feels like the millionth time. I talked to my Doctor about it and that same day she informed me that I have Lupus-GREAT! A lifetime of pain, when I'm trying to kick this ish for good. So stay well, stay off the shit... for you might just need it to work if you get sick someday for real. Stay positive, keep your head up. Don't let needle thoughts or such crap linger in your mind. Eat some vitamins and do what previous post said,... listen to good music and Dance. :) Good luck. I wouldn't wish this ish on anyone and I hope that you didn't go back, cuz you already know you don't need to, don't wanna...

It does not make any sense at all to go back to a adddiction youve already kicked only to kick it again. That is just pointless and it will probably be harder this time around as i find that everytime you kick it get's harder. So why in the hell would you put yourself through that misery again?

Also opiates and psychedelics are not comparable in any way at all. They are totally different in how they effect the brain and what they do.

Dude this is bull shit rationalization......

sorry to be so blunt but its the truth

Nothing more to say really

I disagree with some of the posts. bupe withdrawal cold turkey can take weeks if not months to fully subside. it probably is a bullshit rationalization, but maybe just give yourself a very low level habit, like 2mg of bupe or 30mg of oral oxy a day, and then very slowly taper off. i might replenish some of the endorphins you are missing

I know what you mean. Have you con-
sidered Ibogaine? Sounds like you might
be a good candidate for it because ac-
cording to what I've researched, the beauty
about this drug under professional super-
vision it not only detoxifies, but resets your
neurotransmitters to your "b4 using" days.
The only catch being having to go to Cana-
da, Mexico or overseas pharm. Medical
pro best way to go IMO.

This is one of the more creative excuses I've heard for wanting to use again, I'll give you credit for that.

^Don't get me wrong, a person having an excuse to use doesn't always mean it's a bad excuse. Taking opiates because you broke your leg is understandable by almost anyone's standards I would imagine.

But saying "I want to willingly getting back into an addiction so that I can beat it again the right way" is an incredibly stupid and irrational, albeit awfully creative, excuse for using, lol.

It's like a soldier coming home from war with PTSD saying that he wants to go back and try it again to see if this time he can make it out just fine. Not going to happen...

How exactly can you possibly reason that this approach would work? If you became addicted to substances in the past, and you use substances again, there is an extremely high likelihood that you will fall back into the addiction cycle.

If you place your hand into fire and leave it there for a minute you will get severely burned. Once you heal from your wounds, would you believe that you could place your hand into the fire again for a minute, or perhaps two, and not be harmed?

You have already beaten your addiction by coming off of the suboxone maintenance and not using. You have no reason at all to go back to the hell that you finally overcame. If you have been having these thoughts, perhaps you need to reevaluate your situation and hit up some meetings.

I'm sorry to be negative, but this idea is HORRIBLE. Dude you think you can beat addiction by doing drugs?

The only way you can beat addiction is to be sober. It takes a LONG time to really feel normal being sober.

Don't be dumb and fall right back in to the trap. Next time you might not be able to get out, you could screw your life up big time.

Your time would probably be better spent in therapy to get over whatever psychological baggage you've carried forward with you than in going back down the rabbit hole and hoping for an easy escape.