• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Will there ever be an anti-anxiety med without horrid withdrawal symptoms?

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
As far as I know 100% of users who have faced any kind of withdrawal always seem to claim that benzo is among the worst one ever (alcohol as well). Even those who have undergone intense opiate withdrawals always agree that benzo withdrawal makes opiate sickness a walk in the park.

Why does the brian become so overly dependent on benzos/even things like gabapentinoids and cause such horrific withdrawals like seizures or crippling anxiety? Is the brain's GABA very limited to begin with?

It seems like at this point in time most of the anxiety medications out there seem to be such a strong double edged sword. People facing horror movie type benzo withdrawals when medicated on alprazolam and klonopin for extended time periods.

You’ve gotta go pretty hard with benzodiazepines to experience the real horror-show w/ds like the ones you’re describing. For most people a bit of rebound anxiety is about all they should expect. People should just be more conscientious of their usage and expectations, and not expect this class of drug to be some kind of panacea for their problems or something they can thoughtlessly consume with no repercussions

Yeah, if benzos are used responsibly, most people should be okay. If on the otherhand we are talking about abuse, I think there will always be some kind of rebound effect, otherwise wouldn't it break newtons third law? JK but really, there is no free ride.

Funny enough last Feb i was going through some really stressful times and had a load of anxiety. And I had used a benzo three nights in a row to calm myself down. But being the cautious guy I am I did not take it for a fourth night and went a few weeks without any. But I could see how easy it is to get hooked and just keep doing it. The reason I don't is because I did read every benzo thread on BL and read the horror stories. Some people can pop these things for a month or two and come off no issues. Then another guy does it a week and feels bad for a week coming off. Then there are the other people that we in deep not knowing what to do and honestly a few ended up in the shrine. Then there are the others that came off and never looked back.

Without anxiety all benzos do is give me amnesia. I feel normal., a little relaxed but nothing special, then the next day I realize I can not remember the TV episode in detail and usuall have to watch it again the next day. Then I remember. This is on a light dose too. Which makes me wonder if benzos create a recall problem and not a memory. Once I see it again I realize ok I remember it now so it is not a total black out. Having virgin benzo receptors I think I am sensitive to the amnesia qualities of this drug.

Reading the benzo posts I am surpised at how many people bought an RC benzo and start doing it all day every day even with all the warnings. To me someone that only experiences anxiety once ia while I do not need the drug. But someone that does starts usuing them only to find the rebound and other symptoms completely horrible.

These are not drugs to get high on, they are meds for people that really really need it. Yet I did read how someone would buy a gram of clonazolam or flubromazolam and by the end of the month they were taking very large doses only to find the prescripted benzos did not work anymore. So they take more and at least half the people that did come off had mentioned that the tolerance is permanent. What a deal is.

@Asante had mentioned in the night nursse post that if you never increase the dose the tolerance factor stays the same. Just never raise it. Very wise words that need repeating. Benzo tolerance is a topic that should scare people. Needing a handful of xanax to work when it use to be only one was needed should really cause someone to be more cautious. The Gaba system is so woven into our being that it is important to take care of it.

Te other gaba drugs (gaba B) are a little different but abuse there can cause an addiction too. There only about 1/2 of the people on daily gabapentin or pregabalin experieneced a bad withdrawal coming off. The others that claim they can not feel anything from these drugs seem to have it a little easier. But the phenibut posts are enlightening to read too. None of these things are easy to deal with having a large addiction to them.

Lastly kudos to the people that take their 3 klonopins a day for years, never raise it and are balanced and fine. So it can be a good med if need. Just don't raise the dose in any crazy way.

Last edited:
Thanks *fistbumps*

To say it more clearly: if you have a regular rhythm of modest use of a drug, and your regularity will not increase and your dose will not increase, your tolerance will generally reach a plateau and stay there. Primary exceptions are drugs with loss of magic.

Thing is though, most people will start using more, more often.

Thomes DeQuincey for NINE YEARS used opium to augment his weekly opera house pleasure,. he slipped out of that habit and BAM, he needed more, more often and became a laudanum junkie.

Does kava have the ability to stop a major panic attack in the middle? This is the real selling point of benzos imo and why clinicians put up with the awful addiction potential.

^ I can say when I made a proper kava brew with quality kava that worked I would take it after a stressful day at work and sit at my kitchen table before dinner. So I would slam some on an empty stomach the traditional way and within 20 minutes that gentle calmness and anxiety draining from the body feeling was very euphoric. I can feel it draining the anxiety. Then after a few mugs would eat some dinner have a smoke and listen to music. So in some instances it works quick. But it is a lot of work, it is messy, tastes gross and fills the stomach. So it is not practical to carry around as a techique for panic attacks. But a proper brew can be very euphoric and relaxing as well as intoxicating.