• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Will taking DXM once every month cause problems later on?

FamineWolf

Ex-Bluelighter
I have been taking DXM around once per month for about a year now at doses around 300-700 mg. If I continue this, how long until any lasting effects for mental or physical health?

If you have taken dxm once a month for years and years and have any negative or long lasting side effects and want to warn or advise against it, please do. Thanks!

Last edited:
When I was young, 16 years old rapidly becoming "a while ago", i did dxm every Saturday for about 3 months. The only negative impact on my life was eventually it just made me sick and I had to stop. When I was young i loved dxm for my thing to do on a Saturday night and as long as i gave myself a full day for recovery i could go to school Monday and perform fine.

Its hard to say though because its a strong compound if you over do it it can have negative effects. I always did 720mg when i did and I stopped once it got bad. I then tried to return to it like 4 years after it was bad and it was still bad.

Thats my one story on my dxm use.

The fact of the matter is, there's not substantial research into whether or not dissociatives actually cause permanent physical or psychological changes to the brain.

A guy named William White reported Olney's Lesions in the brains of dissociative users only to retract his position six years later.
See here: https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_health3.shtml

Speaking from experience, I know a few people who have taken DXM in large quantities for years, and they never seemed to recover from their abuse even after quitting use (i.e. they personally felt that they had lost some of their intellect to a degree). Keep in mind, these people were weekly and even daily users.

You must also take into account the fact that most OTC DXM products contain other active substances that could potentially contribute to long term health problems such as coricidin in 'triple Cs', ephedrine in syrups, etc.

In the end it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons of using DXM, whether you're willing to accept uncertainty or not (as with many drugs due to limited research into their effects). Generally speaking, infrequent use of DXM isn't going to be cause for alarm (after all, in lower doses it's still a medicine); however, there are no guarantees, and I cannot tell you with any certainty that it'll be fine for you to continue using DXM for years to come. Moderation is often key in life.

Stay safe!

Since we have what we call synaptic plasticity I think that depending on the amount you take, there is a precise amount of time you have to leave between trips to be sure not to have permanent alteration, but since NMDA receptors are essential to synaptic plasticity I think Dissociative drugs are the ones that can be used the less often.
Knowing how long is nearly impossible in today's science but some take the chance to guide themselves by instinct/feeling but since it is one of the most important receptor in the brain I prefer to stay safe and not use it more than once every 3-4months and with a precise goal other than only feel good.(last time I tried to create a controlled hallucinatory state by combinations with other hallucinogens, and it worked.)
The only exeption I can see to what I wrote is when you induce cell death by over-dosing which is essentially permanent.

Since we have what we call synaptic plasticity I think that depending on the amount you take, there is a precise amount of time you have to leave between trips to be sure not to have permanent alteration, but since NMDA receptors are essential to synaptic plasticity I think Dissociative drugs are the ones that can be used the less often.
Knowing how long is nearly impossible in today's science but some take the chance to guide themselves by instinct/feeling but since it is one of the most important receptor in the brain I prefer to stay safe and not use it more than once every 3-4months and with a precise goal other than only feel good.(last time I tried to create a controlled hallucinatory state by combinations with other hallucinogens, and it worked.)
The only exeption I can see to what I wrote is when you induce cell death by over-dosing which is essentially permanent.

When you say cell death by overdosing, how high if a dose are you talking about?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I take products containing DXM only. I will probably cut back to like 300 mg of DXM twice a year or so

When I used DXM frequently, I tripped about three times a month on average, sometimes more and sometimes less. Although I can't say I've noticed any mental or physical effects, I have no way of telling if I've fried any cells in the process. I'm sure I have though, because eating all that plastic from the cough gels can't be too good for you.