• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Will Pope Francis chew coca leaves in Bolivia?

Bluelighter
http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-pope-francis-ecuador-20150708-story.html

Pope Francis took his Latin American pilgrimage to the heavily indigenous Andean nation of Bolivia, where his challenge will be to reconcile ethnic communities with traditional Catholicism.

Seen off by Ecuadoran President Rafael Correa, the pope departed this capital about 1 p.m. local time (11 a.m. PDT) for the highest capital in the world, La Paz, where he was scheduled to arrive later Wednesday.

Concern about the altitude — La Paz is more than two miles above sea level, and its airport in neighboring El Alto is even higher — has led to breathless speculation over whether the pope will accept the local remedy for altitude sickness: the chewing of coca leaves.

Coca leaves are the raw ingredient in cocaine, but in their natural state, they are an ancient medicine that is both chewed and used for coca tea. The government of Bolivian President Evo Morales, an indigenous former grower of coca leaves, has said it will offer leaves and tea to the pope — who, at age 78 and missing part of a lung, might be suffering — but the Vatican has not said whether he will accept.

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-pope-francis-ecuador-20150708-story.html

Pope Francis drinks coca leaf tea on South American tour

Pope Francis drank a tea of coca leaves, camomile and anise seeds on the plane to Bolivia from Ecuador to ward off altitude sickness upon arrival at the highest international airport in the world.
Coca is the main ingredient in cocaine but people in the Andean region have chewed coca leaves or drunk coca tea for centuries for its medicinal properties.

The flight attendant said the pope drank a mix called Trimate containing the three ingredients. It was also offered to journalists on the flight.

The pope did not appear to have any difficulties when he walked off the plane and while he was reading his welcoming address. He is visiting three of the poorest countries in Latin America on a trip that will also include Paraguay.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-drinks-coca-leaf-tea-on-south-american-tour

Last edited:
This pope is really the man.

Funny how prejudiced the developed world is against any medicine that doesn't come in pill form. Thousands of years of use means nothing.

Pope Francis drank a tea of coca leaves, camomile and anise seeds on the plane to Bolivia from Ecuador to ward off altitude sickness upon arrival at the highest international airport in the world.
Coca is the main ingredient in cocaine but people in the Andean region have chewed coca leaves or drunk coca tea for centuries for its medicinal properties.

The flight attendant said the pope drank a mix called Trimate containing the three ingredients. It was also offered to journalists on the flight.

The pope did not appear to have any difficulties when he walked off the plane and while he was reading his welcoming address. He is visiting three of the poorest countries in Latin America on a trip that will also include Paraguay.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ks-coca-leaf-tea-on-south-american-tour#img-2

I must admit this is quite unique gesture. Just don´t understand what he´s trying to achieve knowing the number of followers he has in South America.
Maybe it was really a must due to the altitude.

Funny how prejudiced the developed world is against any medicine that doesn't come in pill form. Thousands of years of use means nothing.

+1...good ol' Capitalism :\

I know if I had access to coca leaves and opium I would prefer using them vs impure cocaine and heroin.

No he is not. He is just as bigoted towards LGBT people, highly corrupt, and hypocritical as pretty much all the previous popes have been.

So how does cocaine relieve altitude sickness?

Well, coca tea is of course different than cocaine, regardless, I am not sure it does. I would assume cocaine would make you more dehydrated, while causing other issues.

^ That´s correct. Cocaine leaf helps more with altitude though.
You have to chew a mouth full of leafs and it works very well.
Locals don´t feel hungry, thirsty and have the energy to do lots of things without any noticeable comedowns.
It´s not comfort though. But the feeling of euphoria is pretty fine after 30 minutes.

^Perhaps, I read conflicting reports. Maybe it only works for certain people, mainly natives.

The tea is refreshing, totally different from Cocaine like you said. It just works mildly. It´s sold everywhere even at their airports. Like coffee.

After quick huffpost search:

“Children mature seeing their father and mother [happy],” Francis argued. “Their identity matures being confronted with the love their father and mother have, confronted with this difference.” “What great richness this diversity is, a diversity which becomes complementary, but also reciprocal. It binds them, one to the other,”

"If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?"

Both the Pope and the Dalai lama have to contradict themselves on occasion. Unless you're a monk or part of the clergy their views cannot coexist with modern society.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Jesuits are not allowed to be pope.. So how did "Francis" become the Pope when "Francis" is a Jesuit?

In 1814, Pope Pius VII restored the Jesuits.

Last edited:

qft

This Pope has stated that the catholic church needs to "'truly accept the marginalized.'

Pope Francis: Reach Out to 'Save the Lost'
Pope Francis delivered a homily in which he denounced having a 'narrow and prejudiced mentality,' entreated followers to 'truly accept the marginalized' and spoke of 'restoring everyone to God's family.'
http://www.advocate.com/politics/religion/2015/02/16/pope-francis-reach-out-save-lost

But then he publicly expresses this view

“With evil, there can be no yielding or compromise. To think that harm can be reduced by permitting drug addicts to use narcotics,” he said, “in no way resolves the problem.” Substitute drugs, he affirmed, “are not an adequate therapy but rather a veiled means of surrendering to the problem…no to every type of drug use!”

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/06/20/pope-francis-condemns-the-evil-of-drug-use/

Does not seem like he is to keen on really reaching out to the "lost" or "truly accepting the marginalized,".. more like the opposite.

I love how religions based off the teachings of Jesus end up acting like anything but Jesus.

The catholic church better evolve or it will end up being a small bunch of "celibate" men spending its massive fortune.

I wonder what Jesus would say if he wandered through the disgusting hoard of riches on and off display at the Vatican.

Probably would throw up in his mouth and then cry at the way his teachings and name have been used.

Actually, he probably would double over in laughter at what you find impressive.

Inside the Vatican: The $8 billion global institution where nuns answer the phones
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...institution-where-nuns-answer-the-phones?lite

This Pope was born here.. If the vatican even gave half a shit wouldn't they auction of some of that crap to at least try and help those less fortunate in the Pope's hometown? By God the NFL does it..

Poverty in buenos aires argentina

Oh wait what type of reaching out are they speaking of?

NSFW:
10037581_H8302330-600x403.jpg

Last edited:
Just to be clear..

Earlier I meant "I am not sure coca leaf tea is helpful in regards to alleviating altitude sickness"

There is a pubmed article which is not very convincing:
Does Chewing Coca Leaves Influence Physiology at High Altitude?

Most of the other sources I looked into would just claim that it works without explaining how.