• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Wii vs. 360

chrissie said:
So if you're not all about the best graphics and the fastest system, then you're not a gamer? Give me a break.
word.

CS 1.6 is STILL the greatest game ever made, and its running off a suped up quake2 engine.

No... I suppose I don't understand at all why anyone would want to blow almost as much money as a 360 costs for an inferior system that has nothing unique about it except for a cheesy RF sensor controller (that I couldn't imagine being fun to use on anything smaller than a 30" tv screen) and those ridiculously childish Nintendo games which will no doubt be joined by YET ANOTHER updated release of some Pokemon and some Zelda game (the Zelda one already being out) which will be completely useless after the purchaser has beaten it and accomplished whatever Link's mission may be this time. Can't really imagine why anyone would want to blow $300 on a Wii when they can get much more out of a 360 for just a few dollars more. If anyone wants to explain this to me I'll gladly read it

Aside from the fact you seem to know nothing about the Wii, you don't seem to give a shit anyway, so why should anyone waste their time trying to explain it to you? Especially when there are already a couple good posts in this thread about why one would want to purchase one not to mention the rave reviews all over the web. Hell, you haven't even explained why the 360 is a better purchase aside from the crappy HD DVD add-on which may or may not end up going the way of BETA. Remember BETA?

Wii costs almost as much a 360? $250 vs $399.. that is not "almost as much", it's nearly twice as much. Don't even say you could get the basic console for $299 cause you end up buying all the additional stuff anyway if you want to enjoy it. Not to mention the Wii actually includes a game with it.

Anyway, if you're going to call any game "childish" then all games are. When you think of the skills required to play Mario Kart vs Need for Speed it's exactly the same but you call one childish because it isn't trying to be realistic? Some of us like games that aren't trying to mimic reality all the time. The only way you can call a game childish is if the controls and gameplay are so simple only a child could enjoy it.

Now, to finish you off...

Can't really imagine why anyone would want to blow $300 on a Wii when they can get much more out of a 360 for just a few dollars more. If anyone wants to explain this to me I'll gladly read it

The same reason someone would buy a 360 instead of spending a few dollars more for a computer that they can get so much more out of.

Oh, and you seem to think the 360 has like 100x more capabilities than a Wii but what is it that makes you say...

I don't understand at all why anyone would want to blow almost as much money as a 360 costs for an inferior system that has nothing unique about it except for a cheesy RF sensor controller

Why is it inferior exactly? What is so unique about the Xbox 360? The Wii is the most unique console out at the moment cause they introduced a whole new method of interacting with games but you're really going to say the Xbox 360 is more groundbreaking cause of the DVD player?

I think you need to look up the definition of unique again..

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing I'd like to add.. I was playing Dead Rising on a 360 yesterday and I swear to god I had to sit through like 15 minutes of cut scene movies for 2 minutes of actual gameplay. Wow, great graphics except I can't even play the game cause they put so many fucking cut scenes. It's like, walk up to a door and press open and you watch a 3 minute cutscene.. walk through the door and down a hall and watch another 5 minute cutscene.. turn a corner and someone is standing there.. watch another 4 minutes of cutscenes. I like to play games not watch movies.

Last edited:
sorry i did misread the price difference by a lot, but just because your opinions are different than mine doesn't mean you have to be rude about it. I really haven't read anything to convince me otherwise, so I'm gonna stick with what I said.

The Wii may be the only console with RF sensors, but that's basically just taking what we've been playing in arcades for years now and souping it up a bit. and by childish games I didn't really mean that they just aren't trying to be as realistic as their 360 counterparts, I mean the colours and graphics are a total downgrade from their 360 counterparts, and also come with a bunch of lame sounds that really get annoying after a while. As for the HD DVD, it's probably unlikely that it will go the way of betamax (which was superior to vhs anyway) because there are big names backing both HD and Blu-Ray formats, so they will probably eventually find a way to merge formats or at least find a solution that consumers will be satisfied with.

Personally, it's well worth the price of that addon because for people that love seeing and hearing movies in high def, that is a really sweet deal. The 360 is costing not only the consumer but also Microsoft more than the Wii, and Microsoft isn't stupid. They know how to make an RF sensor as an addon to the 360, and when/if they do, it will make the Wii look as childish as it is even to those who prefer to be in denial just because the Wiimote gimmick is cool. Does the Wii even have a static controller mode? What is a gamer supposed to do when they're high on opium and want to play a game without having to break a sweat? Just not play?

You get what you pay for is always true, and there are plenty of people who would rather get a kickass system that has great online play and amazing graphics than a console that could very well have been part of the console lineup five years ago.

thujone said:
Does the Wii even have a static controller mode?

yes there is.

It also has wireless internet capacity (FYI).

One aspect of the wii that completely owns the 360 is it's complete reverse compatability. I would've immediately upgraded my xbox for a 360 if it were simply reverse compatable. Whereas the wii takes gc discs, and has access to n64, snes, nes, as well as titles from other classic consoles.

but thujone, you seem to keep missing one point, graphics and processor power do not equate to superior gameplay. They do NOT go hand in hand.

The Wii may be the only console with RF sensors, but that's basically just taking what we've been playing in arcades for years now and souping it up a bit.

So, people go to arcades for those games where you have an actual gun to shoot at a screen or a wheel to turn for racing or whatever then Nintendo brings that into the home. Where is this a bad idea or how is this an argument for the Wii being worse than the 360? Just because it's the "only thing going for it"? If that is all the Wii has going for it then the 360 has NOTHING going for it because graphics wise computers already beat it. The Wii is the only thing offering something unique.

by childish games I didn't really mean that they just aren't trying to be as realistic as their 360 counterparts, I mean the colours and graphics are a total downgrade from their 360 counterparts, and also come with a bunch of lame sounds that really get annoying after a while.

Of course they are a total downgrade. Just look at the graphics hardware both of these systems use and it's obvious which one will look better graphically. However, you also have to look at the price of the consoles. Then take into account that Nintendo is making money off every console whereas Microsoft is losing money off every console.

What is funny about this to me is that the Wii is the first console I've played where first person shooter games were enjoyable to me. I really hate playing first person games on consoles because it's so hard to aim in an exact spot. The fact that I can aim exactly where I want the instant I want to means first person shooters are a lot more entertaining even if the graphics aren't as good.

Anyway, if you look at Zelda on the Wii are those graphics really not good enough for you to enjoy the game? The games for Wii have a lot of time invested in adding content and features and enjoyable gameplay rather than making it all look good.

They know how to make an RF sensor as an addon to the 360, and when/if they do, it will make the Wii look as childish as it is even to those who prefer to be in denial just because the Wiimote gimmick is cool. Does the Wii even have a static controller mode?

They will NEVER release a controller like that for the Xbox 360 because it is against their controller plan. The controller is just such a basic part of a console that you never see the manufacturer adding buttons or whatever to new controllers.

Yes, the Wii does allow you to play games with a normal controller mode if you desire.

It's funny you're talking about addons though to be released at a later date because Nintendo has hinted towards releasing an HD-DVD addon for the Wii. What would you say when that comes out?

Nintendo was aiming for mass market saturation with this console rather than cutting edge. They want it available to everyone. They'll put out the expensive add-ons like HD-DVD players later when everyone already owns a Wii and the market is there to support it rather than trying to force it on people on the release date like the PS3 and Xbox 360.

If I want to play a game that looks great and offers fun solo play or online multiplayer with good controls I'll turn on my computer and load up Battlefield 2142 or whatever. If I have a couple friend's over who want to get drunk and play some games I'll fire up the Wii and play Wii: Sports boxing or Mario Kart or Madden. The wiimote means anyone can play even if they aren't an expert at console controls already. The load times on the Wii (including it's always on power save mode) means I can be up and playing in seconds rather than having to wait a couple minutes to load a game on other consoles. When all I want the damn cosole for is playing games with friends for 10 minutes before class then it's perfect for me.

P.S. One more thing to add to this already too long post. The Nintendo Wii can be used to browse the internet using wireless. That's $250 for a device that can be hooked up to a TV, access wireless networks, and browse the internet. Considering even a PDA or cell phone that can browse the internet can't be hooked up to a large monitor I think this makes the Wii the cheapest device around for wireless internet browsing that can still be hooked up to a large screen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4KWpaQd24U&mode=related&search=

Last edited:
I'm really amazed at how misinformed some xbox/sony fanboys can get...

The wii controller isn't special because its RF; There have been RF controllers since the NES (maybe earlier). Nor does it just have accelerometers like the PS3 sixaxis (lol). The console "knows" where the controller is in three dimensional space.

Re kiddy games/underpowered graphics:

If you have a serious problem with playing a brightly colored game, or a game that uses sprites, or a game featuring an old Nintendo franchise, I feel sorry for you. Demographically, you're most likely a highschool aged male who reads Maxim for the articles. You're probably insecure about being a wuss and a nerd. Even if none of that applies to you at all, you're still missing out on some STELLAR games that go unmentioned because 90% of the mainstream play just a handfull of titles (GT, GTA, FF, MGS, halo, Madden). I can't watch Nicholas Cage movies the way some people can't play Mario. That means every now and then, I miss a movie that is really something (adaptation, the weatherman). The least the PS3/XBOX set could do is cop to the fact that know they are missing great games.

As for the graphics: Gears of War looks really nice. So does the New Final Fantasy. Still, the game I want to play most on the 360 is geometry wars. ;) thats just me, though. Seeing really high poly counts and gigaflops is pretty amazing. Moreover, when something looks that good, you can be assured that the other production values are going to be pretty decent too. They are the Summer Blockbusters of the gaming world. The metaphor works farther than that too. They are targeted for the widest possible audience. They take VERY few chances gameplay-wise, and they take a VERY VERY long time to produce (nevermind the money). The consoles themselves are sold at a loss because of all those polygon and texture elements. Nintendo continues to make a profit with each console sold, and they can also turn out some interesting games that didn't take a company with the resources, or the bean-counters or say, an EA, to produce (Viewtiful Joe, Warioware).

Nintendo also absolutely stomped Sony in the Handheld market. Major retailers have stopped carrying UMD movies, and worldwide PSP sales lag behind the DS (sold for a profit, while the PSP is sold for a loss) by 3-4 million units. They're hoping with the Wii that innovation and low developmental overhead will draw quality titles and new gamers who don't just want to play the freshest FPS or "GTA: this time you're asian".

I'll be playing the Wii for the first time tomorrow. I hope I don't throw my back out. ;)

my bro has a 360 and i have a wii. guess which one of us is asking to borrow the other's console? it ain't me. wii is just more fun all around. zelda may be the greatest game i've ever played.

I played Wii tennis and Wii boxing until sweat ran down my face and my muscles ached.

Most fun with a video game than I've had in a long time. I can see me buying one now, and I can see people who don't play video games loving it. :)

I don't own a 360 or a Wii, nor do I have any desire to in the near future. My son, who is 6, has an original X-Box and a PS2. He plays them and enjoys them. I enjoy my video games too. But I don't play those. I play an emulator on my computer for NES games.
Now I have tried getting into the new systems. I bought a PS when they came out oh so long ago. I was blown away with the graphics, but found most of the games not very fun.
My buddy moved to Japan to teach a couple of years ago and gave me his X-Box. Again, blown away by the graphics, but found game play not very fun. It wasn't until I bought the Mega Man Anniversary edition that had all the original Mega Man games from Nintendo on it that I had fun with video games gain.
Now I may be showing my age by not appreciating what these new systems offer, but I like the cheesy, simple graphics, with fun game play over HD graphics and lack luster play.
I'd rather play Super Mario Bros. 3, Castlevania, Mega Man and Punch Out over Halo, 13 or Warcraft.

So I guess what I am saying is I understand where the fans of the Wii are coming from. It isn't the graphics, speed or resolution that makes games enjoyable for some people, it is the fun they get out of them.

...now excuse me while I play Rygar for a while

For anyone that's played Wii boxing? what's the movement like..is it just like a static movement or does it move with your hands.

I'm a amateur boxer and it'd be good if it was actually sort of training you

Wii Sports boxing gets old after about 15 minutes. Wii Tennis on the other hand will have you breaking a sweat.

btw ganja and the Wii complement each other very nicely.

personally, i think wii boxing and wii baseball are the two most fun games of the package. wii sports is sort of like a really fun demo, in that the games are not fully fleshed out, but really give an idea what the system is capable of.

zelda, on the other hand, may be the most awesome fucking game i've ever played. call of duty is pretty good, its a little weak graphically, but the aiming system kills xbox360. excite truck is very fun as well. i'm looking forward to madden, i was told by my father not to buy it, so i assume that is my christmas present this year, i'll let you know how it goes when i get it.

the other games i'm looking forward to are super mario galaxies and the new smash brothers. also, the eventual versions of mario kart, mario baseball, etc. etc.