The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Why Is Pot Not Legal In The US?

ChemPharmExpert

Greenlighter
Why is recreational use of pot not legal in the US? It's Legal In Many Other Countries for recreational use. We Only Have Certain States in the USA That Approve Pot for Medicinal Use. In Those States it is Prescribed By A Physician. Usually When Prescribed By A Physician It Is For: Glaucoma, Nausea From Chemotherapy. But, Keep In Mind as most of us reading this fact: Our Parents were probably "hippies" (as mine were) They Fought and Protested For It To Be Legal, But, sadly with no results. THE FACTS: There have been 0 Deaths attributed to smoking or vaporizing pot, and pot is proven by many independent studies to relieve anxiety, panic attacks, depression, nausea and a multitude of other uses. [ My Thoughts are basically, if a plant grows on earth its probably safe, escpecially concearing POT. ] Anyone who would like to add to my Thread, With Their Thoughts Or Comments, I would Appreciate To Hear Your Views On This Subject. :)

Recreational use of marijuana is now legal in several states.

Your thought that "if a plant grows on earth it's probably safe" is very flawed. There are plenty of poisonous plants out there, and plants such as the poppy plant produce opium which can be fatal in certain doses.

Historical reasons largely I think. People are scared of it as there is a lot of misinformation out there. Think of the children! Some people have a moral objection to the use of certain drugs, moreover a distaste and disregard (or simply apathy) for some cultures and/or lifestyles unlike their own (at least that they perceive as such). It's easy to belittle those who don't choose to live a 'normal', socially accepted lifestyle; minorities of all kind get this treatment be it due to ethnicity, sexuality or pretty much anything else. The status quo is god. Humans are generally very susceptible to the attitudes of those around them, which is a double edged sword in terms of moral consequences.
It's difficult for politicians to admit that current policies aren't working. There are so many issues on the table that they'd be foolish to risk their career over an issue only a minority care about. (Though this is changing. The fact that the negative consequences of prohibition aren't limited to the buyers helps.)

I guess when you look at weed it seems like a no-brainer, because on top of all the reasons why prohibition (of any highly sought after drug) doesn't work in the first place you have a drug that is relatively harmless compared to most others. That said, if I were a parent, I wouldn't want my kids smoking reefer, so I can understand opposition from an emotive POV, throwing reason out of the window. But some people genuinely buy into all the 'harmful to society' stuff too which I can't empathise with so much. Well, hardly at all really. When it comes to weed though I think the reason why it's still illegal is generally just due to government propaganda instilled in the minds of the populace over many decades. In modern times we know enough about cannabis from a scientific perspective to know a bit more accurately how dangerous it really can be (which is not a hell of a lot), I suspect in the past people didn't have that privilege making baseless disinformation easier to swallow.

I've been awake for a long time so sorry if this makes little sense.

I'm going to move this to the regional forum.

Anon --> NASADD

Recreational use of marijuana is now legal in several states.

Your thought that "if a plant grows on earth it's probably safe" is very flawed. There are plenty of poisonous plants out there, and plants such as the poppy plant produce opium which can be fatal in certain doses.

several? is that a common word you use in place of "2"?

Well if not fully legal certainly decriminalized. My state for one will simply issue a ticket for less than an ounce. I think it's 100$ and considering that Lot of people have gotten speeding tickets in excess of that I'd say it's pretty close. Aside from that it is legal for mmj here and in many other states. In many mmj states it's also prescribed for "insomnia" and the reasoning for the script is left to the doctor.

I don't really know why weed is illegal but, I'm sure there's no good reason for it. I think this thread has good potential though and from a greenlighter too. Nice thread OP

it's illegal mostly because of racism, if not entirely. It has however stayed illegal due to lobbyists in the pharm and tobacco industry (probably alcohol as well), as well as some sort of fear against it by religious groups. I don't have the specifics but this is what i think is happening. Looks like the tide is turning anyway, it's decriminalized in plenty of places and in other places no one gives a shit about users just getting high and extremely light sentences are given to big time growers (house arrest for 6 months for thousands of plants). At least that's how it is in my area.

because they dont want to admit that the "war on drugs" was a failure. also they can see how much revenue they earn from the arrests and they like that number. what they dont know and its because there is no numbers on it, is that they would earn even more money by legalizing it. but i dont even want them to legalize it, just take it off the schedule 1 list. marijuana is not on the same level as cocaine and heroin and meth. treat it like a script and thats how you can control and regulate it. sure some people will grow it but most wont just cause its too easy to go to the dispensary and pick what they need"

^^coke n meth arent schedule 1

The scheduling list isn't really consistent when going by the requirements for each schedule. Here is the wikipedia page for controlled substances for those of you who are interested in seeing what it what.

Medical marijuana is available in my state. %)

And you are wrong, no doctor prescribes marijuana in my state; you get a doctors recommendation. From there you can get it from dispensaries/hash bars.

OK that makes more sense. So you get the recommendation then the card with the recommendation then the weed.

OK that makes more sense. So you get the recommendation then the card with the recommendation then the weed.

The recommendation is a piece of paper. You can pay extra to get a card but it's not necessary. :)

Dispensaries just need to see the recommendation on paper, and your state issued picture ID.

2 States.

Only recreational in 2 States......And It's all about money.....Big Corps...Pharmaceuticals......Gotta love the gov

And shit if they dont wanna legalize smoking it....they should legalize edibles! Would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 States.

Only recreational in 2 States......And It's all about money.....Big Corps...Pharmaceuticals......Gotta love the gov

And shit if they dont wanna legalize smoking it....they should legalize edibles! Would be great.

It will be legal for recreational use in many more states in the years to come, don't you worry. Just be patient, these things take time.