• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Why is hydrocodone so stimulating compared to codeine?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
Despite having the same chemical formula? I've taken both and I can say that Vicodin wins hands down. The high comes on within 10 to 15 minutes compared to the 40 minutes to an hour for codeine. It also makes me much more social. I should note that I don't suffer fro social anxiety but amotivation and it leads me to converse very little with people. Codeine sort of helps with this but not by much. Hydrocodone feels very stimulating.

How can they differ so much given that they have the same chemical formula

Despite having the same chemical formula? I've taken both and I can say that Vicodin wins hands down. The high comes on within 10 to 15 minutes compared to the 40 minutes to an hour for codeine. It also makes me much more social. I should note that I don't suffer fro social anxiety but amotivation and it leads me to converse very little with people. Codeine sort of helps with this but not by much. Hydrocodone feels very stimulating.

How can they differ so much given that they have the same chemical formula
What do you mean the same chemical formula? They’re both opiates, but totally different drugs. As far why one wakes you up and the other Doesent, idk, I would think it would be different levels of selectivity for different opiate receptors.

Last edited:
I think codeine has higher NOP affinity than dihydrocodeine (and NOP agonists have anxiolytic properties). Codeine & hydrocodone have the same empirical formulae, but not the same structure. The structure is more different than a 2D image will convey.

Last edited: