• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why is dihydrocodeine used to treat dyspnea when other opiates depress respiration?

Zeon

Greenlighter
Question is pretty much just what's in the title. DHC is listed as being used for dyspnea, but when you look at the other opiates they depress respiratory depression, and I was warned by medical staff about using codeine/ other opiates if I was having an asthma attack. This makes no sense to me whatsoever. I really don't understand the mechanism through which DHC could help with dyspnea.

Any mild opioid could be used for that, like the codeine derivatives. Why they have utilized dihydrocodiene specifically not sure, however it is just the way it is; doubt it has a special property over similar medications. It presumably is rare, and seems somewhat experimental, though apparently it can help

I get the impression that dihydro-codeine is similarly mild and suitable for OTC cold remedies in some countries. Opioids in general are good for suppressing cough*, so this particular one just got marketed as a not-gonna-get-you-too-high treatment for spasmodic breathing.

Not the same thing as respiratory depression that comes with opiate overdose.

*Trying to figure out alkaloids in Poppy Seeds, I learned that the low levels mean some places just feed the seeds to dogs to treat kennel cough.