Site Feedback Why is Bluelight ashamed of the Lounge yet not ashamed of The Shrine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will we get editing back in the lounge?
this kind of technical issue gets lost in a more nebulous discussion like this thread. a quick pm, im or new support thread would be better in a case like this.

that was a permissions issue (affecting the "moderator" group only) which is now fixed.

alasdair

^ the 'delete posts' permission is set correctly but the 'delete threads' permission was not. fixed.

alasdair

If were rolling back on the access to the lounge - why are the moderators of the lounge removing members that 'joined' since this began? I was removed today for no reason, Captain H was booted yesterday in the typical lounge style.

If its going back to normal - why cause this extra hassle? Seems strange to turn it into an exclusive member only forum?

i don't understand what you mean. lounge staff can't 'remove' people from the forum. it's a public forum (again).

alasdair

We never could remove anyone even when the lounge was hidden. Once you were approved, you could not be removed because the moderators did not have access to the members list. The only thing we could do was deny permission to join the group or ignore the request to join.

so everyone agrees that the shrine sucks and it should be either removed or radically stepped up so the response is we're going to leave it as is?

so everyone agrees that the shrine sucks and it should be either removed or radically stepped up so the response is we're going to leave it as is?
Do we?
Im not disagreeing necessarily, but promoting it (to highlight the dangers of drug [or whatever]) seems counterproductive.
It is a
Place of rememerance, grieving, warning. Why change its location?

I dont give a fuck about the lounge, but personally i find the shrine one of bl's most important subforums.
No shame, just grief.
Ask Herbavore ffs.
Drug users die sometimes this is how we honour their contribution to the community and remember them.

everyone agrees? not really...

alasdair

i don't understand what you mean. lounge staff can't 'remove' people from the forum. it's a public forum (again).

alasdair

We never could remove anyone even when the lounge was hidden. Once you were approved, you could not be removed because the moderators did not have access to the members list. The only thing we could do was deny permission to join the group or ignore the request to join.

Sorry guys - my understanding on the subject was incorrect. I thought that 'The Lounge' Mods had the ability to choose who was / was not allowed. My apologies.

I certainly do not agree to this.

I'd be in favour of changing the avatars of deceased members to something easily identifiable such as a rose or a tear drop. That way you could easily be aware of previous advice from members who eventually passed away. It would also highlight a spike in users of a particular drug or route of ingestion.

I brought this matter up yesterday in the EADD chat section - It's a bit strange to still see the people who have died logged as Staff /Crew etc. I was reading through one of the threads and there were two other members still showing active that have unfortunately passed away.

I personally feel that changing the Avatar would be pretty disrespectful - it's that persons identity, the way we remember them (some have funny stories attached to them etc). Would a new user group 'Deceased' not suffice?

bluelighters die for many different reasons. yes, the lowest common denominator is that they are dead but i think that lumping them all into one category - deceased - will just lead people to assume they were 'just' junkies who died of "an od" or "because of drugs".

we're up in arms when the media assumes that somebody died because of mdma when they died and they took mdma and we have no idea if mdma was a factor in their death.

i feel like our changing people's avatars or titles when they die does them a disservice. i also feel that, when somebody dies there can often be a chorus of "it's what he would have wanted". i'd rather not assume anybody truly knows what somebody would have wanted. that also seems disrespectful to me. but that's just my opinion.

alasdair

Could we not maybe show a black ribbon next to their name? I really hadn't given it that much thought until the other night when I was reading a thread and spotted two other mods (who were leaving their condolences) who have now passed :( still showing as staff.

Do we?
Im not disagreeing necessarily, but promoting it (to highlight the dangers of drug [or whatever]) seems counterproductive.
It is a
Place of rememerance, grieving, warning. Why change its location?

I dont give a fuck about the lounge, but personally i find the shrine one of bl's most important subforums.
No shame, just grief.
Ask Herbavore ffs.
Drug users die sometimes this is how we honour their contribution to the community and remember them.

I agree with this. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.