• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Why hasn't genetic engineering been applied using psychedelics by now?

http://www.mescaline.com/misc/index.html

Preliminary Feasibility Study for The Biological Production of L-Dopa, Mescaline and Tryptamines by Intact Recombinant Yeast Cells Using Only Common Amino Acids as Precursors to Bioenzymatic Synthesis

Sounds pretty easy to me. If organized crime was into psychedelics other than LSD, I bet you this would already have been done, and we'd see an influx of psilocybin tablets on the market.

've been working (Phd project) 40-60 hours a week on cloning a mouse gene into a bacterial species since October, and still no go. Sure, the plasmid carrying the cloned DNA insert is definately in the bacteria, but the coding protein has yet to appear.

If it hasn't been done and been reported in literature, it's not as easy as it sounds.

Coolio said:
http://www.mescaline.com/misc/index.html

Preliminary Feasibility Study for The Biological Production of L-Dopa, Mescaline and Tryptamines by Intact Recombinant Yeast Cells Using Only Common Amino Acids as Precursors to Bioenzymatic Synthesis

Sounds pretty easy to me. If organized crime was into psychedelics other than LSD, I bet you this would already have been done, and we'd see an influx of psilocybin tablets on the market.

I think its allready being done by the "good" guys and the "bad" guys , i think that the lawinforcements are allready trying to modify plants so that they dont produce the "goodies" or that they make other compounds that are toxic or something like that.
And the producers of drugs are trying to modify them for higher yields and more resistant against plague's. its an arms race, so you could call it the new cold war

I don't think law enforcement is particularly interested in modifying plants so they don't produce recreational substances; it's a lot easier to destroy all of the plants of a particular variety than to genetically engineer inert versions and then propogate them everywhere...

I think the answer is really easy
There is cancer and all these things
why on earth would anyone put money up to put your hallucinogen from the mushroom into a goat fetus?
They have better things to do then make your tripping easier for you

just eat the blasted fungus