• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids why does nicotine seem to potentiate/kick in opiates?

RedRum OG

Bluelighter
Title says it all. I have noticed if I'm on an opiate and smoke a cig, it kicks it up a notch for a while. Or if I throw in a dip (yeah,redneck minnesotan here) it makes me nod like crazy. And obviously nicotine is a stimulant, so this doesn't really make sense to me. Can Anybody explain?

It's probably just a new addictive chemical (along with all the other ones) sprayed on the (fake) tabacco.

I get the same thing...and my tobacco, well let's just say I'm 100% SURE it's real tobacco ^.^

For me I wouldn't say it potentiates it-but I have noticed quite often that it will cause me to throw up-almost on que. Makes me smoke less while high usually-always adds to nausea

nicotine stimulates the release of beta-endorphin

I find if i smoke a cigarette about 45 mins after drinking opium tea it helps it kick in. If i've had strong enough tea each drag is like Oh. My. Goddddd. Made my friend go straight for the old heave-ho tho.

Cigarette smoke (tobacco smoke in general) contains monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) like harmine in addition to nicotine. This explains why plain nicotine is not addictive and even dysphoric. It also explians why smoking 'feels good' and potentiates some monoaminergic drugs (MDMA, cocaine, etc) - an indirect increase in dopamine/serotonin levels due to the reduced activity of MAO.

Yeh like one mod already said thats precisely why a cigarette feels so good on opiates, or more so why the cigarettes makes the opiate feel stronger.

Beta-endorphins are stimulated through various means one of the most common being protiens like l-tyrosine or l-taurine. As anyone who has taken this compounds with their opiates know, it will increase feelings of warmth and euphoria just a tiny bit. But still the warmth is noticeable same way with cigarettes.

You smoke a cigarette and the endorphins are triggered quite like the protiens trigger them, but they flood your blood instantly rather than needing to be digested first.

This sole fact alone is why I believe so many opiate users die from heart attack/heart disease/cardiac arrest by the time their 50. No not every opiate user smokes, but a ton do. And the ones that *do* are like "supersmokers", they can't really feel the adverse anxious effects of nicotine like high adrenaline/high blood pressure as opiates keep it low, so they smoke and smoke and smoke till their blood vessels are so constricted they start to die off.
One thing I can say personally about this is I never had issues with my vision from smoking untill I started using opiates and smoking at the same time. I'm only 29 for christs sake and blood vessels in my eye are starting to die off.

If I don't quit within a matter of years there is serious potential for blindness.

Whats also important to realize is nicotine effects wds too. For a lot of people, smoking during wds will increase cravings for the opiate. While at the same time my dr told me that quitting smoking the same time you quit opiates can make wds worse. However, if you quit smoking a couple weeks prior to quitting opiates, it will make the wds less intense. Your body is not seperating from both endorphins and their potentiating beta endorphins anymore, adrenaline levels fall as well as heart rate/blood pressure, making wds less intense.

Either way there is definitely some interaction between nicotine and opiates. And when I come off suboxone the first thing I'm doing is ditching the cigs a couple weeks before to see if it really helps wds as much as my dr claims it does.

did you know next to tobacco eggplant contains the highest leves of nicotine? so next time ur on opiates and dont have and cigs just eat some eggplant :)

^ The funny thing is...when I bang heroin or oxys I ALWAYS eat eggplant parm...thats so interesting...

Thanks sekio and bojangles, great answers.

Also interesting info about the eggplant. That's a fun fact right there

I think its just in your head. I'm 25 now, but back when i was like 14, 15yrs old, and was starting to smoke weed on a regular basis, my friends and I swore, that if we smoked a cig right after smoking a bowl, that it got us higher, but I soon realized that we were just being stupid, and we were just really high in the first place, the cig had nothing to do with it. We even tried to come up with stupid scientific sounding reasons as to why, but it was all BS lol so yea, like i said, i think its just in your head, i could be wrong, but it makes no sense to me (i'm an opiate user of 4yrs) that cigs amp the effects up. They never have for me. I do enjoy that first cig tho, after the opiates kick in ! especially back in the days of smoking OC's.

EDIT - And just for the record, i could be wrong, there could be a real effect for you, I just dont see what it could be and have never experienced it......Just wanted to clarify that I wasn't saying your completely wrong, or stupid, or something like that.

I think its just in your head. I'm 25 now, but back when i was like 14, 15yrs old, and was starting to smoke weed on a regular basis, my friends and I swore, that if we smoked a cig right after smoking a bowl, that it got us higher, but I soon realized that we were just being stupid, and we were just really high in the first place, the cig had nothing to do with it. We even tried to come up with stupid scientific sounding reasons as to why, but it was all BS lol so yea, like i said, i think its just in your head, i could be wrong, but it makes no sense to me (i'm an opiate user of 4yrs) that cigs amp the effects up. They never have for me. I do enjoy that first cig tho, after the opiates kick in ! especially back in the days of smoking OC's.

EDIT - And just for the record, i could be wrong, there could be a real effect for you, I just dont see what it could be and have never experienced it......Just wanted to clarify that I wasn't saying your completely wrong, or stupid, or something like that.

Lol, that was an urban myth where i live about 8 years ago. I never agreed with it tho!

What are people talking about like its a myth this is a fact that nicotine is a potentiator and so is caffiene too. Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean its not happening. This is the whole concept behind ECA stacks. Nicotine and caffiene increase heart rate and blood pressure, causing blood to move faster, causing release of beta-endorphins and creates faster processing of alkaloids in the blood.

Its not a "myth".

What are people talking about like its a myth this is a fact that nicotine is a potentiator and so is caffiene too. Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean its not happening. This is the whole concept behind ECA stacks. Nicotine and caffiene increase heart rate and blood pressure, causing blood to move faster, causing release of beta-endorphins and creates faster processing of alkaloids in the blood.

Its not a "myth".

This

Its not a "myth".

I only meant that having a cig after smoking marijuana to get higher is a myth. I do agree however that a smoke when on opiates is a potentiator.

smoking a cig after smoking weed will speed the rate at which the THC and co. are digested and activated. so it will make your high stronger but shorter. not a myth.