• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Why does Ketamine not work well rectally?

I'd say the latter. It doesn't need to be from anything hanging around - use of NMDA antagonists is going to produce some changes in neuronal LTP when you get the rebound effect (which is the mechanism through which excitotoxicity can arise, but K doesn't produce this in nearly as pronouced a fashion as PCP does, so it could well be beneficial if used correctly), and LTP hangs around for a good while, hours to weeks without maintenance, much longer (months, years) with maintenance. Strengthen them connections up yourself through power of thought during this time and you might not even need to keep using the K :) .

Well, you see - this is what I call the "middle stage" of my cycle. At that time, the effect had stabelised, a missed dose or a bit extra will not change the constant positive, motivated state of mind. At that point, if I were to meditate, I would find that I can re-mould myself if I practiced something under that level.

Bah.. I think I should write down my K-therapy method instead of repeating references to it..

Please do, I think alot of us would be interested in hearing what youhave to say about its use theraputically.

Jamshyd, I would be extremely curious in reading a detailed explication of how you use ketamine medicinally.

I wrote a rough-draft. I will likely embelish it in the coming week since I anticipate it will be this month's regimen week. Not sure where to post it thought...

I can confirm it is a pH issue. Dissolving the intended dosage with a mass equivalent amount of sodium bicarbonate and administering it rectally is about as efficacious as intranasal administration.

I can confirm it is a pH issue. Dissolving the intended dosage with a mass equivalent amount of sodium bicarbonate and administering it rectally is about as efficacious as intranasal administration.

Does the same hold true for an oral/buccal ROA?

I would guess that a high pH in the stomach would make ketamine more bioavailable, and that the same would be true for the buccal/sublingual routes. Ketamine has a pKa of 7.5 (very low for a secondary amine), so if a mixture is saturated with sodium bicarbonate at a pH of ~10, all the ketamine will now be in the non-ionized form which should readily traverse mucous membranes.

I don't seem to have problems with it precipitating from the bicarbonate buffer.

The duration of this mixture rectally is about 30-40 minutes, and the effects reach peak in about 10-15 minutes on a really rapid ascent, similar to intranasal. The effects are, for some reason, not exactly the same as with intranasal (it tends to hit harder and lasts a shorter duration).

The side effects of this mixture rectally are gas and intestinal discomfort afterwards for a day or so. The high pH and the ketamine are antimicrobial, so probably it messes with the intestinal flora. Titration to pH 8.5 or so is probably desirable to minimize side effects.