Why Do We Treat Heroin Addicts Like They Deserve to Die?

yeah very good article basically sums up why some humans are such pieces of shit to others. What's there to do about this though when it is intentionally set up this way by others? The drug trade, Law enforcement, big pharma, prison industry, government all have a hand in the same setup (The drug war), along with greed and capitalism, these people have tremendous power, global influence and i imagine will not be easily swayed by appeals to humanity. I'm sure some people in earnest believe in the drug war but i bet the large majority know why we keep this charade up. If those people in power have to identify with heroin addicts as human beings equal to themselves then there's no way they could keep this drug war up, of course they don't give a fuck in the first place which is the real problem IMO.

it's not going to be like Germany's destruction, this drug war can play out forever unless enough actual people put a stop to it as in some sort of revolution.

"- Known for an unknown reason as Trillium Drug Program (it could be Ontario's official flower, but I'm not sure). Anyone who chooses to register and whose application is accepted (and henceforth covered under Trillium) is also covered 100% for Rx drug related expenses with one condition. Every 3 months, a deductible (based on a percentage of total annual gross pay earned by the employee) must be paid first before Trillium takes over the rest of the cost of any further prescriptions within the three month period."

Just a guess but a google search revealed what I assumed, that those are perennial flowers. So they are reborn every year. Kind of like saying you can be reborn like a perennial flower, even though you have lost you life to drugs.

Hi MDAO
Your honest admission of bias and fear of heroin users ironically seems like a closed door. I remember when you moved to my area. We hung out. I enjoyed our time and hope you did too. As a long term heroin addict, I still have morals and actually what kept me in the drug scene so long in SF were all the kind selfless, generous people in the tenderloin district. The drug addicted homeless and prostitutes and dealers were more sharing and caring and accepting than my college friends. I think there are good and bad ppl everywhere in all subcultures.

I hope I didn't offend you now or before. And I hope you are doing well. Keep opening that door, yo!!!

ro4eva- I'm surprised you don't try a pain clinic - they should give you suboxone at the very least, since you have an established history and all. (And I know what that's like - ERs hate me too thanks to stunts I pulled over a decade ago).

Hey itsok. Good to hear from you, and I hope you're doing well also. Since you were very frank with me, I'll return the favor. I very much did enjoy meeting you and hanging out. At no point did I doubt you're a good person who's just trying your best to make it through this painful thing called life, just like all of us. I've met a number of other heroin users whom I'd say the same thing about. But hearing you tell me your stories, I got the sense your choice to use heroin was one that you felt very conflicted about, at times deeply regretful, because it had changed you and your life in ways that could not be undone. I can't cite examples because this conversation was 3 years ago, but I remember getting the overall sense your use of heroin had involved sacrifices and losses of the sort you might not have been willing to endure before getting into this drug. If I recall correctly, your relationship with crystal meth, though a source of problems, did not have this "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave" sort of hold on you that heroin did. If I recall correctly, you were emboldened to try heroin because you'd successfully quit tweak, and you soon realized it wasn't the same ballgame at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I get the sense you try hard to live your life with no regrets, and I respect that. But you expressed a suspicion back then that you may never be free of heroin, or at least the yearning for it, and this has really tested your principle of living life regret-free. I know that if I ever tried heroin that I would enjoy it way too much, and end up in the same position. I think it's very hard for someone who's never tried this drug to understand this feeling (though I'm trying, through my memory of experiences with other opiates, and my capacity for empathy). And that's just it -- from talking with present and former heroin users, I gather that once you've had a heroin habit, connecting with people who've never had one becomes very hard. In a world where connecting with people is just hard to begin with, and most people never use opiates, that just doesn't seem like a very good tradeoff to me.

Lest you or anyone think I'm an elitist or conformist, I ended my last day in the office having a heart-to-heart chat with a young physically handicapped woman who lives with chronic pain and fatigue from her condition, lives in the projects in Philly on government assistance, has a number of ongoing sexual partners in the local disabled community. She came to see me for her oral herpes and candidiasis, to get her HIV test rechecked, and to refill her Adderall. She also sings in a rock band as a form of catharsis, and our encounter ended with me writing down her band's webpage and next concert date in my calendar. Trust me, I have no problem seeing the good in people that society has marginalized. In fact, the margins are where you find some of the kindest and most interesting people. I understand. I never had any friends as a child. It feels good to be among people who will never judge you, and you get that when you're on the fringes.

In this way, I see starting a heroin habit as something similar to extreme body modification, like the guy who split his tongue in half and tattooed his whole body to look like snake skin. If he ever had one foot in mainstream society, so he could pass as a "square" and temporarily reap the very real benefits, he certainly doesn't, and can't, anymore. It's an admirable choice in some ways, but a rather drastic one that should never be taken without full understanding of what you're likely giving up permanently. Unlike extreme body modification, though, an opiate habit creeps up insidiously in most people, before the user can come to terms with the fact that they've done something they might have great trouble undoing.

Bottom line, I understand that life is painful, for some more than others, but really for all of us, as the Buddha taught. I understand that for some people, life is so bleak and painful that heroin is really their only shot at bliss, at least for the time being. If they don't do me wrong, I don't have anything against someone just because they use heroin. But I think the potential future non-heroin joys given up by the choice to use heroin should be a real consideration.

opi8;11537084 said:
That's why your opinion (on heroin) is worth nothing. How can you try and talk about something objectively if you admit to being "scared" of it, like it's some kind of demon?

I can study spiders and do research them, hell I could know everything about spiders, I could still be openly afraid of them. I think what this person said was pretty intelligent

anonone;11614019 said:
ro4eva- I'm surprised you don't try a pain clinic - they should give you suboxone at the very least, since you have an established history and all. (And I know what that's like - ERs hate me too thanks to stunts I pulled over a decade ago).

I regret not giving that option a try before the liquid handcuffs. I regret it deeply.

Thing is, over the years, particularly before I started MMT, I've gotten used to being treated by everyone in the medical community in the same manner: an unwelcome patient-junkie. A fuck up who any and every doctor wants to see and see gone asap. I must sound like I'm wallowing in self-pity - but it's not like that.

For a while, I chose to stand up to all the arrogant quacks and nurses who made it a priority to let me know that my chart has "addict" written all over it. I thought that by respectfully pleading my case, by explaining that I felt I was being treated unethically because of some choices made long ago, that they'd listen. I was wrong. It only upset them even further. Only made things worse. And so I gave up when one incident ended up with me being charged with... I did something to a doctor that "I shouldn't have" (but that cocksucker had it coming). I'll leave it at that.

So since then, I've avoided hospitals, clinics, doctors, dentists, etc. like the plague.

My point being - I suppose I never thought about a pain management clinic and/or doctor because I developed this subconscious reaction to anything having to do with an MD.

The exception to that is the methadone clinic. And the reason for that is because I was on a waitlist for 9 months, plus, once I finally received a phonecall from them, I had dug a hole so deep that I just knew that if I didn't say yes, I had this feeling of dread that soon I'd be dead.

Hey I'd love to say that it all worked out in the end, but no, not even close ;-)

My 2 cents. I feel like there should be mandatory volunteer hours, either through school or work, where people spend time with heroin addicts. In my idealistic little mind, I feel the "humanness" that we all share may connect on some level and be mutually beneficial for everyone involved. Understanding and empathy is powerful. I've never been a heroin addict or any addict that I know of, but I'm no stranger to drugs for legit or recreational purposes.

The answer is really quite simple, and logical:

The following are generalizations:
("living" in this sense means working/caring/being involved in society)
Heroin is the drug which can most fully replace "living"
What is the incentive of "living" if one has Heroin?
Heroin addicts aren't "living"
Heroin addicts might as well be dead, from a societal standpoint

redundant, I know

Ho-Chi-Minh;11660071 said:

redundant, I know

What?

Imagine that life is a meal. Heroin is simply a very tasty flavoring added to that meal.

Ho-Chi-Minh;11660071 said:

redundant, I know

I am able to work 64 hours a week as a heroin addict, doing a job that requires a great deal of caring and service to society. I am just dead broke because it eats up all my money. Granted I might not work as much if I wasn't in need of money. But, if it was as cheap as marijuana or alcohol I would have no problems living a fully functional and socially beneficial life. A lot more so than when I was strictly a frequent marijuana smoker who drank heavily on weekends. My hangovers rendered me very useless on those days and when drunk I performed various dangerous activities to myself and society. Being frequently stoned left me with little energy and motivation. Maybe its because I am a rarity in this case, but I can responsibly use heroin. I do not IV, keep my does standardized, have never even really used to the point of feeling ill from too much. And I use all day. I think there are plenty of users like me to there, though, and I do not think there many people capable of using alcohol like that. So I would view alcoholics being more dead to society in this case, more of a disease, too, with the potential to hurt others around them. But the main issue is the ignorant societal views on heroin. So many people have never touched the stuff but they know for damn sure that its the worse thing on the planet and anyone on it is a useless pile skin and bones.

Ignorant people who think that all heroin addicts are a stereotype and spend all day nodding out are one of the reasons society treats all heroin addicts like they deserve to die.

Ho-Chi-Minh;11661183 said:
Generalizations are a necessary evil

Many generalizations, including those related to taboo topics such as heroin use are a result of biased and/or abstract, hearsay half-truths. They are formed with a whole lot of theoretical "experience" and way too little practical (i.e. A whole lot of arrogant twats who have never touched heroin (or any strong opioid for that matter) and have never experienced first hand opiate physical dependency and/or addiction yet whom behave like they know the drug and what its use entails inside-out.)

I'll never forget how years ago at a house party, everyone was doing blow. I decided to go into a corner and smoke some tar and the room cleared out immediately. I decided to go into the bathroom, with a few minutes there were many knocks on the door, I opened it up to find about 8 people wanting to do it. Crazy that coke is fine but heroin, oh no!

I think it's because of the mystery and how it's not a social drug, meaning when I do it, I do not really want to talk or socialize. At least that is before I became physically addicted to it.

I decided to detox at home and eventually had to tell my mother. She was livid and treated it so differently than cocaine. She acted like I was a low life. To her cocaine is bad but anything else is horrific. I don't blame her since it is a crazy drug that brought me down quick.

I do feel that Heroin addicts are treated differently just from my encounters in the ER, friends, family and the media.