Why Do We Treat Heroin Addicts Like They Deserve to Die?

yeah very good article basically sums up why some humans are such pieces of shit to others. What's there to do about this though when it is intentionally set up this way by others? The drug trade, Law enforcement, big pharma, prison industry, government all have a hand in the same setup (The drug war), along with greed and capitalism, these people have tremendous power, global influence and i imagine will not be easily swayed by appeals to humanity. I'm sure some people in earnest believe in the drug war but i bet the large majority know why we keep this charade up. If those people in power have to identify with heroin addicts as human beings equal to themselves then there's no way they could keep this drug war up, of course they don't give a fuck in the first place which is the real problem IMO.

it's not going to be like Germany's destruction, this drug war can play out forever unless enough actual people put a stop to it as in some sort of revolution.

I
RobotRipping;11538609 said:
^i've never withdrawed from heroin but hydromorphone and oxycodone withdrawal is pretty fucking terrible, not just sucks, it's soul shattering, even poppy seed tea withdrawals gave me that sense of absolute dread, doom and despair (in fact i found them to be the worst). I couldn't imagine a thing more awful except for benzo withdrawals, i found both benzos and opiates had nasty acute withdrawals and a long recovery time for both, just different symptoms. Opiate PAWS last for months for me, i'd definitely say you are lucky. I don't think heroin is particularly special. i remember reading about a chemist who was synthing super potent opioids and managed to get himself massively addicted and killed himself, while those opioids aren't out there really, things like oxymorphone and fentanyl, even hydromorphone are extremely strong and just as likely to cause damage whether it be social issues from drug related crime or personal issues from addiction.

I've enjoyed and been dependent on a number of opioids as potent or more so than heroin, as well as those that are less so, but opioid w/d generally is the same imho. I mean, they're as different as in their structure as they are in their w/d - e.g. methadone w/d is different from heroin w/d, mainly given half-life, but for other reason I'm sure.

That said, when it comes to different opioids, it's difference in degree, not in kind. W/d from each opioid has it's own stink, but they all have the same basic components anyone who has ever w/d from any significant opioid habit knows.

W/d from each is different, but in degree, not kind. Opioids are grouped together as a class of drugs, as opioids, for a reason. Doesn't mean they're all the same exactly, by no means are they. But all opioids share certain traits more or less unique to their class of drugs.

I've had serious oxymorphone and heroin habits at different points in my life, and w/ding from each was remarkably similar, although it seemed like the oxymorphone w/d was a tad shorter and a tad more intense... but that could be for other reasons. Anyways, alls I'm saying is that I don't notice much of a difference when it comes to opioids of similar subclasses. Bupe w/d is very similar to 'done withdrawal; hydromorphone is very similar to heroin w/d (although hydromorphone and heroin are much more alike than buprenorphine and methadone, but you get the point).

As a former opiate user, I say that these are some of the reasons heroin gets looked down on by the mainstream so strongly:
-- it is associated with IV use more so than other drugs;
-- it is associated with theft on par with crack;
-- Junkies health-wise generally don't look so great.
-- the perception of someone on high on heroin is one of someone burned out on life; someone who has given up and is escaping to a numb state. This attitude is generally frowned upon.

becose they make world suck even more for people that aint that stupid to become heroin junkie... world is overpopulated,weak should leave first,heroin addicts fall into that category

in Sparta,they trew unfit from the cliff and never looked back,there wasnt 10 Spartan taxpayers carrying burden of one ill motherfucker

I
I hope we all realize that a number of posts in this thread are perfect examples of how misunderstood heroin and the people who use heroin out there really are, given how ingrained in our customs the demonizations of the dope fiend has become.

A LOT, if not nearly all, problems associated with heroin use would be eliminated if:

1. Our drug laws/policy became primarily focused on public health, and only secondarily on public safety (as public safety concerns are indirectly related to drug use to begin with);
  2. Appropriate needles of varying types (such as 1" needles for IM and 1/2" for IV use) and cookers, alcohol pads, etc were ALL legally, cheaply (I mean they're one of the cheap medical product out there to begin with anyways) and easily available to anyone who wanted/needed them;
  3. Heroin wasn't so totally, irrevocably and absolutely illegal as a drug, especially in the de jure sense, as it is currently enshrined so in our formal public policy, laws and drug law enforcement; and
  4. Most importantly, diacetylmorphine maintenance clinics were legal and easily accessible to those in need.
It's really hard to argue, as opposed to drugs and their particular pharmacological effects themselves, that the laws surrounding heroin and its use, along with like drugs - that is to say the War On Drugs - does infinitely more damage, both to the individual drug user and the public at large, than whatever drug at hand could ever do, especially under less draconian, more reasonable, humane and compassionate circumstances.

Funny how the drug laws/policy/enforcement, in the modern day and age of our new prohibition and the New Jim Crow, are more dangerous than the drugs themselves.

Of course I'm not encouraging anyone to try or start using heroin. In nearly every case, people are almost certainly better off never getting near the stuff, ESPECIALLY as things stand today. I would have been able to take advantage of a lot more opportunities if I hadn't gotten into it myself at the time I did. It is a very dangerous play toy, but, you know what, so are most/all benzos. In retrospects, benzo addiction posses nearly as much harm as heroin addiction. But I digress...

This is harm reduction at its finest.

toothpastedog, I agree that the legalization of heroin would cut down considerably on shady deeds done by heroin addicts. But suppose the hypothesis that heroin use carries a strong risk of permanently impairing a person's ability to find joy and motivation in life were to be tested repeatedly and find robust support.

Please note that I acknowledge that this hypothesis is not, to date, scientifically supported, probably largely due to the legal red tape and ethical issues involved in studying any Schedule I substance in human users. But since this is a widely held belief with much anecdotal support, it merits scientific study, if only because it's a belief with profound effects on public policy towards heroin and its users.

I digress. If heroin truly does have a unique capacity for indelibly training people to want nothing in life but more of the drug, then legalizing it does nothing to solve this problem. Again, I parade out the rat with a chip in its pleasure centers, operated by a lever switch in front of it, which will continue to press the lever until it dies of starvation or has permanently damaged the neural circuitry for pleasure. Would you defend the rights of a merchant to peddle a similar technology for people? Yes, we can wax philosophical all day long about a person's right to throw their life away. If you're a strict libertarian / classical liberal, then you and I probably won't ever see fully eye to eye on this, and I won't bore you or waste my own time with such foofy-doofy things as compassion and our duty to our fellow man. But no matter what your political beliefs, making attractive things that carry a high risk for harm more readily available, without mitigating the harm, makes no sense at all.

If unlimited quantities of pure pharmaceutical-grade heroin, quality-made sterile periphernalia, and safe, clean places to obtain and use them were legal, widely available, and (just to make my point stronger) cheap or free for all under some government plan, would you encourage your son or daughter to try heroin? I would not.

Last I read (I can get a citation for this if you like), roughly a quarter of all people who try heroin become addicted to it. Remember those stories about the guys in Asia who died after playing MMORPGs in Internet cafes for days nonstop with nothing to eat but tea and instant ramen? Those internet cafes are still there, because these incidents, while concerning, are rare enough to still be entertaining and not all that threatening. Those Internet cafes would be no more if anywhere near a quarter of their clientele reeled towards a similar fate.

Now granted yes, people who encounter and choose to try heroin are not a fair cross section of the population. It's likely there are other factors that make such people more likely to get hooked on any highly pleasurable activity more likely. Am I willing to consider that if every person tried heroin once, far fewer than a quarter of all people would ever abuse it? Perhaps. But I still think it wouldn't be a negligible percentage, and I'm willing to bet it'd be a greater fraction than the percentage of people who ever ingest alcohol, or even prescription oxycodone or hydrocodone, who go on to abuse. Again, more study is needed.

If heroin were legal, cheap, pure, and given a fair try at social acceptability, would most people habituated to it continue to lead perfectly normal lives, fulfilling all their work, family, and social obligations, except having to duck into a private room a few times every day to give themselves a shot, just like Type I diabetics? No doubt some could. But is the nature of this drug and its long-term effects on human neuropsychology such that most regular users would blend seamlessly and cause non-users no affront or inconvenience directly attributable to the effect of the drug? My doubts on this stem from seeing people like Trey Anastasio.

I'll end this by saying that although I'm biased, I truly do want to be as informed as possible. As I hope to never try heroin, and haven't kept touch with most people I've known who have, my experience will necessarily be limited, and I'm willing to admit I might be entirely misguided. I'm willing to entertain the notion that the problems heroin causes people are entirely a result of, rather than a justification for, its demonization by society, as is the case for marijuana. But based on my limited experiences as I enumerated in another post, I suspect it's not quite that simple.

I
MyDoorsAreOpen;11540196 said:
toothpastedog, I agree that the legalization of heroin would cut down considerably on shady deeds done by heroin addicts. But suppose the hypothesis that heroin use carries a strong risk of permanently impairing a person's ability to find joy and motivation in life were to be tested repeatedly and find robust support.

Please note that I acknowledge that this hypothesis is not, to date, scientifically supported, probably largely due to the legal red tape and ethical issues involved in studying any Schedule I substance in human users. But since this is a widely held belief with much anecdotal support, it merits scientific study, if only because it's a belief with profound effects on public policy towards heroin and its users.

I digress. If heroin truly does have a unique capacity for indelibly training people to want nothing in life but more of the drug, then legalizing it does nothing to solve this problem. Again, I parade out the rat with a chip in its pleasure centers, operated by a lever switch in front of it, which will continue to press the lever until it dies of starvation or has permanently damaged the neural circuitry for pleasure. Would you defend the rights of a merchant to peddle a similar technology for people? Yes, we can wax philosophical all day long about a person's right to throw their life away. If you're a strict libertarian / classical liberal, then you and I probably won't ever see fully eye to eye on this, and I won't bore you or waste my own time with such foofy-doofy things as compassion and our duty to our fellow man. But no matter what your political beliefs, making attractive things that carry a high risk for harm more readily available, without mitigating the harm, makes no sense at all.

If unlimited quantities of pure pharmaceutical-grade heroin, quality-made sterile periphernalia, and safe, clean places to obtain and use them were legal, widely available, and (just to make my point stronger) cheap or free for all under some government plan, would you encourage your son or daughter to try heroin? I would not.

Last I read (I can get a citation for this if you like), roughly a quarter of all people who try heroin become addicted to it. Remember those stories about the guys in Asia who died after playing MMORPGs in Internet cafes for days nonstop with nothing to eat but tea and instant ramen? Those internet cafes are still there, because these incidents, while concerning, are rare enough to still be entertaining and not all that threatening. Those Internet cafes would be no more if anywhere near a quarter of their clientele reeled towards a similar fate.

Now granted yes, people who encounter and choose to try heroin are not a fair cross section of the population. It's likely there are other factors that make such people more likely to get hooked on any highly pleasurable activity more likely. Am I willing to consider that if every person tried heroin once, far fewer than a quarter of all people would ever abuse it? Perhaps. But I still think it wouldn't be a negligible percentage, and I'm willing to bet it'd be a greater fraction than the percentage of people who ever ingest alcohol, or even prescription oxycodone or hydrocodone, who go on to abuse. Again, more study is needed.

If heroin were legal, cheap, pure, and given a fair try at social acceptability, would most people habituated to it continue to lead perfectly normal lives, fulfilling all their work, family, and social obligations, except having to duck into a private room a few times every day to give themselves a shot, just like Type I diabetics? No doubt some could. But is the nature of this drug and its long-term effects on human neuropsychology such that most regular users would blend seamlessly and cause non-users no affront or inconvenience directly attributable to the effect of the drug? My doubts on this stem from seeing people like Trey Anastasio.

I'll end this by saying that although I'm biased, I truly do want to be as informed as possible. As I hope to never try heroin, and haven't kept touch with most people I've known who have, my experience will necessarily be limited, and I'm willing to admit I might be entirely misguided. I'm willing to entertain the notion that the problems heroin causes people are entirely a result of, rather than a justification for, its demonization by society, as is the case for marijuana. But based on my limited experiences as I enumerated in another post, I suspect it's not quite that simple.

Really good post, very well thought out and I pretty much agree with you. Especially the underlined part. Again, I appreciate your input here, as you present a side of the debate going on here that is truly significant. Better yet, you present it in what I can only say seems to be a very thoughtful way - something the vast majority of folks who hold heroin to be the ultimate devil's drug do not (not saying you're that narrow minded, quite the opposite).

The whole "uniqueness" thesis about heroin still kinda bugs me though. Although they would seem the exception (as they have/had pretty much more or less legal access to their opioid of choice - the vast majority of us do not have those luxuries), I've known a few professionals who would argue that their use of heroin increases their QOL, or at the least does nothing to diminish it. I look to what-his-name, one of those old dude who founded Johns Hopkins med school as one example - someone whose opioid, well, opiate, habit, seems to have done nothing to hamper his invaluable contributions to society/medicine. IIRC his DOC was morphine, I believe he took around 120mg or 160mg/day until his 80's when he, for I think medical reasons, had to half his dose, although I believe he continued taking it till his dying day (died in his 90's afaicr). Him aside, I have known many a morphine addict. Those with big morphine habits, comparable to big heroin habits, generally speaking, at the end of the day seem to have been neither better nor worse off.

Frankly, I think that long acting opioids, taken in maintenance situations for long periods of time daily, those are the type who end up without recourse when it comes to living a enjoyable, fulfilling life w/o their DOC opioid. These folks seem no different from those who have used heroin for long periods of time, especially daily, and have considerable habits - they likewise cannot (or have an incredibly difficult time) making any transition from life on opioids to life "free" from opioids.

That said, I used heroin, first mildly, then moderately, then heavily, although often not daily, for five years, and I've found life to be much more enjoyable and fulfilling without it. Although that's mostly because of the legal issues that comes with dealing with heroin and all the problems associated with IDU. Not to mention I've finally found what would seem the ideal way to deal with my anxiety problems, which was the reason I got into opioids and then heroin in the first place (it's all about the beta blockers! fuck benzos, that kind of dependency and w/d scare the shit out of me, literally, and I've never even experienced).

If I could get heroin cheaply, or for free, and most importantly legally, iono, I might still choose to use it. Then again, I always preferred long acting to short acting opioids - and, believe it or not, mixed agonist-antagonist opioids or opioid preparations. Most working or professional heroin users, those "successful" ones out there that do in fact exist (although they exist under the radar, which is of course the only way they can use and continue leading otherwise successful lives), as well as the stereotypical thieving-junkbox types, would certainly be better off if heroin were treated as such.

And, I mean, come on. I hope most folks around here know enough not to buy into the whole deterrence thing when it comes to prohibition, drug policy/laws/enforcement and incarceration/punishment in America...

But, I too, digress :)

These folks, especially given a lack of access to opioids in this US of A, not to mention what would seem to be most of the world, people who are able to live a fulfilling and worthwhile life while also using opioids, remain the exception to the rule.

I'd appreciate any references or citations to research into this uniqueness theory regarding heroin. Thank again mate! <3

MDAO, you keep referencing the Rat Park/Hall stuff, but:

1) That experiment was also run akin to cocaine, right? And the rats were just a suicidal with that. I think the "pleasure chip" is more about anything sufficient to affect the dopamine pathway to an "addictive degree," and heroin - diamorphine - is not necessary for the experiment to pan out like this. So can you really cite this as a defense of heroin being singled out as the worst of the worst?

2) These experiments were designed very much to make conclusions about environmental factors influencing addiction. Rat park (as opposed to Rat Hall) showed that in more posh cages, the rats didn't abuse as much. So there could be a correlation between the drug and the suicidal tendency, but the environmental factor strips away the ability to say causation as well. So within such a context, the environment - as often is made to suck by the War on Drugs - could influence the severity of the addiction, no?

I am not saying that I agree with the conclusions of these studies, but am I wrong in any way here?

I'm already used to being treated like shit
Because society just seem to handle it
A broken child who grew up in the suburbs
The only love found was a substance instead of words
I rationalized and justified flirting with destruction
I didn't realize it would cause so much disruption
Little do they know that I'm a person just like them
Watching as my life flew by, down the hill I skid
Listening to these hypocrites as I sit back and shoot dope with their kid
Locked away for many days because I loved a substance
That gave me love no matter what in every instant
But today I sit here freer than before
And yet everyday I'm clean I find that I am scorned
I survived living life on the edge of death and knit myself a hem
Try as I might I found I will never be one of them
A free man from my trap I try to cover up my scars
But with these track marks on my arms I still feel as if I'm behind those bars

this lil poem I just wrote for your guys describes how I feel daily in the clean life (16 months today).

I
In contrast, would you mind telling us how you feel today, sixteen months later? Pretty please :)

RL puts it well, what ze's post points out is part of why I am rather skeptical of this uniqueness theory. Catchy name for it though, huh? ;)

it feels better. not quite like being naive as I was nearly 4 years ago. but definitely better. I'm actually in a meeting now and just got back from a nice event in Decatur Illinois for NA. I found my niche being a clean addict but I still feel different from "them". its something I can't describe but I still feel the difference in them. its not as noticeable to them but they seem to feel that I am different when we interact, my counselor pretty much said we as addicts can point out others like us and they can tell we're not like them. who knows, but I'm alright.

slimvictor;11536052 said:
I blame religion.
Outlaw religion, and these things will right themselves.
Outlawing is a standard reaction to social problems , I myself believe legalization is the solution to this particular one.

P.S serotonin nice poem I feel you man , ha I was really looking for love now that I am clean I know this is true and also that I have never been further from getting guess the remnants of the lifestyle / endless list of nasty people I met conditioned me for that .

Absolutely disgusting this sort of attitude still exists today & is used to justify horrible things done to ppl who are some of our most neglected and abused in society.

I
TaSiPtR;11540635 said:
Absolutely wonderful this sort of attitude flourishes today & is used to uphold justice by building more gated communities that prevent the neglected and abused in society from infecting our women children.

Fixed :p ;)

Sorry, just having fun, I mean no disrespect whatsoever. I just wanted to kind of highlight that this is nothing new. Read up on the originals of our drug laws and their basis in nothing but racism and white supremacy (and greed).

In terms of the current situation, however, you are spot on. It's really quite dreadful, pathetic really, and that's putting it really nicely....

toothpastedog;11540283 said:
In contrast, would you mind telling us how you feel today, sixteen months later? Pretty please :)

I know this wasn't to me, but just to throw my two cents in:

(back story: heroin addict of ~3 years, ROA was mainly intranasally. also a poly-drug abuser for 5 years)

I've been clean and sober for 2 years and 2 months. I do actively work a 12 step program (AA).

I've never been happier to be quite honest. I do still think about getting high or drinking, but it's more of a fleeting "I could use a drink" than an obsessive, white-knuckling the steering wheel so that I don't turn onto the highway and head into the hood.

My pre-addiction and during-addiction normal mood was more or less suicidal. I've not have any thoughts of suicide since I got clean.

I don't feel at all like my past addiction has lessened my ability to feel happiness and fulfillment. In fact, I feel quite a bit of both of those. My life is far from perfect or even ideal, but in all honesty, it's much better than when I was getting high, if only because I DON'T think about dying all the time.

I did have trouble feeling happiness and fulfillment at first in sobriety though. It took about a year for the PAWS symptoms to go away. I think the length of time it takes to get past that is a big part of the reason many people don't stay sober. It really does feel (at the time) like it will never end and you will never feel "normal" again. My first sober year seemed 3 million times longer than the following year sober.

That, of course, is just my experience. Mileage will vary.

On the subject of the article, I will say that even when I tell people I'm in recovery, very rarely will I tell them from what. I might say alcohol, but the H word doesn't usually come into the picture. There is more than a bit of a stereotype out there about heroin addicts. Maybe that's why we see people who aren't happy. The happy ones are too scared to share their past for fear of losing that happiness? The unhappy ones see less to lose?

I
xxkcxx;11540759 said:
On the subject of the article, I will say that even when I tell people I'm in recovery, very rarely will I tell them from what. I might say alcohol, but the H word doesn't usually come into the picture. There is more than a bit of a stereotype out there about heroin addicts. Maybe that's why we see people who aren't happy. The happy ones are too scared to share their past for fear of losing that happiness? The unhappy ones see less to lose?

110% with you here - although frankly unless it directly applies to the situation at hand (such as talking to a therapist, where it would apply; whereas talking to a potential employer or with coworkers, it almost certainly wouldn't apply, unless you have to explain a felony they found out about or something, but thank god I was able to avoid any permanent (other than the whole chronic nature of the disease I mean) or legal ramifications). It amazes me how much we share in common too, although we certainly have our differences as well. Anyways, thanks for your great contribution. I would expect now less from you xxkcxx ;)

^ Don't feed it.

I've liked the discussion, maybe I was a little harsh with my first assessment of opendoors, but stereotypes shit me a lot. And maby opendoors has met a lot of stereotypes reinforcing the stereotype. The main fact is the drug is less harmful than cigarettes and alcohol, if it was as readily available, a lot of the problems doors has witnessed would not have happened.

I am upset thaht opiods, especially heroin are demonized in society. There is nothing wrong with maintaining on opiods. Cigarettes and alcohol will both kill you. If people had a steady supply of heroin, at a reasonable price, without adulterants and without the stigma, those people would lead much healthier lives than those I've mentioned.

People do feel like there's nothing left to live for when the world hates them because they have an addiction. They can't afford their addiction, some resort to crime, probably the majority of those are the ones who end up in contact with health workers such as doors. Others just live in constant mental and physical pain, often with suicidal depression living day to day because there is nothing else that can make them happy at the time when the whole world shuns them, treats them like lepers and offers them the bare minimum of support, many not even doing that and just writing off ALL opiate addicts as thieves, scum, not worth knowing simply because of an addiction to a highly addictive drug - which was usually sought out in the first place because of extreme mental/physical pain due to all kinds of different circumstances. These are not people who made a conscious decision to fuck their lives up for the fun of it. Many were, some still are in fact, very successful, happy, highly contributing members of society (since some people use that as a barometer, this society is not one that I particularly want to embrace myself). This attitude towards people addicted to a drug, not a demon, a substance that is derived from a plant, which has a matching receptor of a perfect fit all throughout our body, isn't helping society at all.

The current laws have not worked. I thought the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Well, my doors are open to change, others apparently not.

slimvictor;11536052 said:
I blame religion.
Outlaw religion, and these things will right themselves.

I seem to have "misunderestimated" things here.
I was trying to be sarcastic, posted this, went off on a camping trip, and now I return several days later to see that my sarcasm did not come through successfully.
So, to be clear, I don't believe in outlawing religion - it is a common reaction to social problems to try to outlaw *something*, as someone said above. This is often a mistake. Just as with drugs, I believe that people should be allowed to choose how to live their lives.
I apparently misled a lot of people.
Sorry for my failure in communication!

I
Companero, it happens to me more than you'd imagine (or maybe you already know, my disability when it comes to sarcasim in posts and such), but, for whatever small bit it counts, I get/got the joke :)

opi8;11541508 said:
^ Don't feed it.

I've liked the discussion, maybe I was a little harsh with my first assessment of opendoors, but stereotypes shit me a lot. And maby opendoors has met a lot of stereotypes reinforcing the stereotype. The main fact is the drug is less harmful than cigarettes and alcohol, if it was as readily available, a lot of the problems doors has witnessed would not have happened.

I am upset thaht opiods, especially heroin are demonized in society. There is nothing wrong with maintaining on opiods. Cigarettes and alcohol will both kill you. If people had a steady supply of heroin, at a reasonable price, without adulterants and without the stigma, those people would lead much healthier lives than those I've mentioned.

People do feel like there's nothing left to live for when the world hates them because they have an addiction. They can't afford their addiction, some resort to crime, probably the majority of those are the ones who end up in contact with health workers such as doors. Others just live in constant mental and physical pain, often with suicidal depression living day to day because there is nothing else that can make them happy at the time when the whole world shuns them, treats them like lepers and offers them the bare minimum of support, many not even doing that and just writing off ALL opiate addicts as thieves, scum, not worth knowing simply because of an addiction to a highly addictive drug - which was usually sought out in the first place because of extreme mental/physical pain due to all kinds of different circumstances. These are not people who made a conscious decision to fuck their lives up for the fun of it. Many were, some still are in fact, very successful, happy, highly contributing members of society (since some people use that as a barometer, this society is not one that I particularly want to embrace myself). This attitude towards people addicted to a drug, not a demon, a substance that is derived from a plant, which has a matching receptor of a perfect fit all throughout our body, isn't helping society at all.

The current laws have not worked. I thought the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Well, my doors are open to change, others apparently not.

+1