• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why are TMA, MMDA, MDA, and mescaline so rare?

<pyridinyl_30> said:
Mescaline shouldn't cost anything more per gram than cocaine, heroin, or molly for instance.

Last I checked, it doesn't. But you only get 2-3 doses of mescaline per gram, so in "gettin spun" terms it costs more.

<pyridinyl_30> said:
I don't think the market for real, pure powdered mescaline salt has ever been there, and perhaps more sinister still, that's because someone doesn't want the market to be there. Yeah, I know, call me a conspiracy theorist, but I just don't see why else synthetic mescaline is nowhere to be found outside the lab more based on only chemical and economic considerations.

Those so called "microdots" of the 1990's in the US were not, contrary to popular belief, mescaline at all; they were powdered, pressed LSD pills. And my experience extracting the stuff from various cacti was a gustatorily disgusting, pharmacologically underwhelming experience.

If it's so great, why can't we have any?

The fact is Mescaline is readily available via several species of cactus. This is the only conspiracy keeping synthetic mescaline from flooding the streets. It's simply cheaper and easier to eat a cactus.

If you found extracted cactus pharmacologically underwhelming, you need to look into better/different cactus and probably eating more.

I've always passed on the TMA series of psychedelic amphetamines because nothing I've read about them has made these chemicals sound like a potential chemical ally. My days of trying everything just to have tried it are long gone.

I don't want to discuss prices in detail but suffice to say most people aren't willing to pay enough for a trip to make synthetic mescaline worthwhile, especially when equally popular psychedelics can be made cheaper, sold for more, and offer 40 or 100x as many doses per gram.

I don't believe that more potent, equally popular psychedelics should obviate the existence of a market for mescaline--after all we have $1 hamburger restaurants and $15 hamburger restaurants side by side, but you probably do have a good point about the freely growing cactus issues. If the lucre of the acid industry is behind this phenomennon, then that is certainly a sad state of affairs in my humble opinion. You know, with Greed being one of the Seven Deadly Sins and PLUR and all.

So, how many--if I may ask--grams of say San Pedro for instance is equivalent to 500mg of the pure powder? Is it okay just to chew it up raw or should you make tea or simply lemon juice mush or what? And then you have to pull out all the splinters first. etc etc

Again, I find it hard to believe that a couple of pounds of 99% pure mescaline.hcl wouldn't fly off the shelves at nearly any reasonable price.

^^
Anywhere between 8" and 18" of San Pedro cactus is usually the dose range you want to take. They are variable in strength (like mushrooms) and some are thicker than others. I've not tried it with dried cactus but I reckon 25-50 grams is a typical dose range. Probably closer to 50g if you truly want to experience approximately 500mg mescaline. But I would probably test a new batch of cactus at no more than 30 grams.

I've heard a log about the length of your forearm is a good dose, and that sounds about right to me.

There are plenty of San Pedro preparation recipes on Erowid. It's really rather simple. Chewing it up raw is nearly impossible and likely to cause a lot of vomiting. But just cook it down into a tea using the recipes you can find on Erowid, hold your nose while you drink it, prepare to possibly puke after an hour or so... but its all part of the experience. You'll be in for a truly mystical mescaline+ trip.

And by "Mescaline+" I mean Mescaline + the spirit of the cactus. Even better, right? ;)

Yeah, it sounds good. I think I had 35g of dried cactus and ate half and threw up half. I've heard it goes great with MDMA too. I would love to try that combo.

Yeah, 17.5 grams dried is not enough. 35 grams of the correct inner part of the skin in dried chips should be enough for a moderate experience. Or as you seem to have a tolerance to phenethylamines as I gather from some other posts, it may require more. But it's really a great substance.

Rare doesn't even enter into it - took me 20 odd years to eventually try MMDA after first reading about it (ditto Aleph/DOT)

As to why: High dose needed, not that great a demand (I mean more than from BLers) and certain starting precursors just scream 'come & bust me' if you're synthing them (anything with 3,4,5-trimethoxy sub pattern eh 3,4,5-trimethoxybenzaldehyde wiill set alarm bells ringing just as surely as similar 3,4-methylenedioxy substituted ones)

I have a list of things I'd still like to try, but I'm not holding my breath as the possibility of coming across them are pretty small, those being DMMDA/DMMDA-2; 4-thiomescaline & lophophorine (3,-methoxy-4,5-methylenedioxyphenethylamine) to name but a few

Last edited:
Roger&Me said:
Synthetic mescaline will make a comeback -- just give it a bit of time. Its truly the Rolls Royce of psychedelics; so there will always be some sort of demand for it. Nobody panic. :)
I haven't tried the synthetic version of it yet, but I agree that mescaline is fucking smoooooooth. That stuff is GOOD (for a phen).

how do you know that your not getting MDA instead of MDMA in your pills? I dont see why mescaline is so rare though. It seems like everyone who likes to trip is searching for it .

nevets said:
how do you know that your not getting MDA instead of MDMA in your pills? I dont see why mescaline is so rare though. It seems like everyone who likes to trip is searching for it .
profits. Iv seen synthetic mescaline offered by some older dudes at a festival (not at the festival, but offered to come to teh ranch which they lived at) for ~70 dollars a dose. I mean a gram is only two LARGE doses.

^ 500mg of mescaline hydrochloride is a fuckin' whopping great dose as the phenethylamines don't seem to have a linear dose response relationship. Whereas 300mg is the recommended dose of mesc. HCl, I've had 420mg and it was starting to get quite involved - 500mg woud be a bit of a wipe-out (or a festival of barf depending upon your stomach's consttitution). Still $70 (£40) a dose 8o 8o.

fastandbulbous said:
^ 500mg of mescaline hydrochloride is a fuckin' whopping great dose as the phenethylamines don't seem to have a linear dose response relationship. Whereas 300mg is the recommended dose of mesc. HCl, I've had 420mg and it was starting to get quite involved - 500mg woud be a bit of a wipe-out (or a festival of barf depending upon your stomach's consttitution). Still $70 (£40) a dose 8o 8o.
Iv never experimented with synthetic mescaline so I honestly wouldn't know. but I'll take your word on it.

still thats only three doses out of a gram. The prices Iv hypothetically seen else where still puts the price of a dose above 40bucks USD.

and honestly, 70 bucks for a dose of synthetic mescaline outside of the drug enrd world is a pretty good price.

^ Mescaline extracts contain varying amounts of other alkaloids that not only require a larger overall dose, but actually alter the nature of the experience a bit as well (plant source mixed alkaloids are less manic/speedy for similar doses of mescaline)

Yep I'd rather eat a cactus extract anyway.

As Gaian Planes said.... "good, for a phen" ;)

personal and client preferance, popularty of the drug, and demand.

MDA isn't harder to synth than MDMA. easier. i have met a lot of people who prefer an MDMA/MDA combo pill to anything else, and a lot of e pills have MDA in them already!

it is usually about $money$ and MDMA is in demand! if everyone started doing TMA-2, the popularity of it skyrocketted, and everyone knew of it, it would be much less rare. i would say 99% of people i know have at least heard of xtc and know what it is. probably 90% of them have never heard of TMA.

Edited for quote referrinmg to price discussion

Sounds entirely bullshit :D

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Dunno maybe Sigma-Aldrich price it at that level (of course as well as the money you need a government licence to handle sch 1 drugs or it's a non starter)

Either that or they were being disingenuous and not mentioning that the 25g of mescaline was still contained in a mountain of cactus tissue! =D

TMA-6 seems rather interesting (he wrote, licking his lips thoughtfully, as he looked at the apple tree.... and two gigantic pear trees over the road, from the window). I have never seen it in the UK, but Shulgins comments about it in PIHKAL seem most interesting.... if not encouraging! Anyone ever tried it.... or (tut tut - for shame!) made it? There seems to be a rather dismal lack of new 'goodies' here in the UK.... or I'm moving in the wrong dubious circles?