• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why are some batches of acid more stimulating than others?

AA357

Bluelighter
Recently I have been starting to notice differences in effects from one batch of LSD blotter to the next.
The blotters I have at the moment are 100% tasteless and of very high quality. One thing I have noticed with such high-grade acid is how powerfully stimulating it feels. LSD is a strong stimulant anyway, but 200mcg of this stuff gives me more energy than 340mcg of the stuff I had before (which didn't feel as clean or high-quality). The feeling is so intense on this stuff that I barely even pay any attention to the visuals.

What causes LSD to vary in its stimulant effect? Impurities? Age? Also, why do most LSD blotters have that same distinct metallic taste?

Thanks.

LSD is LSD. If it changes, it is no longer LSD.

Differences in set and setting are responsible for any differences, as a tiny change in either will be amplified by a psychedelic drug. Some people argue that minute quantities of impurities are able to have this significant influence on a trip but given that so few compounds have the potency of LSD it seems infinitely more likely that other factors are to blame.

I presume that you are aware that the NBOMe series of drugs are known for having a metallic taste and local anaesthetic effect?

I'm guessing dose plays a role in the extent of the stimulation you get of acid, with lower doses providing more energy than high ones.

Recently I have been starting to notice differences in effects from one batch of LSD blotter to the next.
The blotters I have at the moment are 100% tasteless and of very high quality. One thing I have noticed with such high-grade acid is how powerfully stimulating it feels. LSD is a strong stimulant anyway, but 200mcg of this stuff gives me more energy than 340mcg of the stuff I had before (which didn't feel as clean or high-quality). The feeling is so intense on this stuff that I barely even pay any attention to the visuals.

Thanks.

I've had a similar impression recently. Some batches of LSD (all supposed to be the highest quality) seemed to have much stronger stimulative effect. But maybe it's just the dose - to me the higher dose blotters provide greater stimulation.

LSD is LSD. If it changes, it is no longer LSD.
LSD doesn't have an especially good shelf life. The fact it loses potency over time means that it obviously breaks down into something.

Differences in set and setting are responsible for any differences, as a tiny change in either will be amplified by a psychedelic drug.
I used to think this but the stimulant effect of this batch is just insane... it's been a while since I've had acid that gets me so jacked up.

Some people argue that minute quantities of impurities are able to have this significant influence on a trip but given that so few compounds have the potency of LSD it seems infinitely more likely that other factors are to blame.
I can't help but wonder if there is something to this theory. This batch gives me NO body load whereas a lot of the acid I've had in the past gave me mild GI discomfort and gas.

I presume that you are aware that the NBOMe series of drugs are known for having a metallic taste and local anaesthetic effect?
I am aware of this. NBOMe tabs however:
- Are bigger and stiffer than acid tabs.
- Have an intensely bitter taste that is stronger and much different from the very mild taste that is common with acid tabs.
- Are numbing, unlike LSD (even LSD that has a mild taste).
- Take about twice as long to kick in as acid.
- Feel absolutely disgusting and bear no real resemblance to the LSD experience.

I'm guessing dose plays a role in the extent of the stimulation you get of acid, with lower doses providing more energy than high ones.
This is true but as I said: 200mcg of this acid feels more stimulating than 340mcg of the previous batch I bought.

i found this back in the 90s some acid i could not sit still on others i could not move even in the same batch this happened

Isn't it just variations in dosage? And obviously once you've had a "stimulated" dose from a certain blotter when you go back to it you'll be expecting stimulation again and the placebomine will provide you with it.

Every single LSD trip is different, even for the same person. For example, on one acid trip, I felt like my body was expanding hundreds of feet in every direction, which was super disorienting and I couldn't really efficiently move around. On most others, nothing like that happens and I can coordinate myself fine, even on the same exact dose. I think it could also have to do with the balance of neurotransmitters you had at the moment you took your acid. Different balances of certain neurotransmitters would probably cause the LSD to interact with you differently. Take note that this is only a theory though.

So long as what you have each time you trip is ACTUALLY LSD, then the only things that will cause variances in your experience/effects will be:

Mindset(/expectations), setting, dosage, fatigue level; and to a smaller degree stomach contents/drug interactions.

Otherwise the LSD is still doing the same thing to the same receptors as it did every other time you've taken it :)

I thought it broke down into ME-O-W, a drug also found in cat urine?

This is just another variation on the dirty acid/polymorphism/non-lsd-ergoloids/set and setting discussion.

The only fact in these discusions is that no one truely knows, and that no conclusive conclusions can be drawn due to the lack of hard scientific evidence, otherwise we wouldn't keep having these debates. Each and every opinion in these debates are just opinions, not facts.

This is how I perceive it:
- LSD is LSD, and obviously it can't be dirty or clean.
- I don't believe the presence of lumi-LSD or iso-LSD can have any influence on a trip. And there is no scientific evidence for it regardless.
- polymophism. I guess the jury is still out on that one, but the consensus from the chemistry savy is that it seems to be unlikely.
- Set and setting is a pispoor and unsatisfying explanation to the people who have experienced this phenomenon. And there's no double-blind study done to proove it anyway.
- Then there's the theory that non-LSD lysergamides are being circulated as LSD. Which there actually is some inconclusive evidence for, as seen in this thread.

I have personally tried batches of LSD that I swear I would be able to spot in a blind test, which in my opinion makes the "set and setting" argument seem incredulous to me. I am aware that the "set and setting" proponents are going to scoff at this, and say it's just an anecdote, which is true. But their standpoint doesn't have much more evidence to back it up than my claim of the opposite.

So to sum it, AA357, it's currently a mystery that no one can explain but only speculate about. Maybe we will get an answer someday, now that research in psychedelics seem to get more acceptance.

I'm thinking non-LSD lysergamides here.
That crossed my mind, but aren't the non-LSD lysergamides rarer and more expensive than LSD? I can see why unscrupulous vendors might try to pass off 25x as LSD but it doesn't seem like it would be economically viable to do this with lysergamides.

Which is obviously not LSD.
That's true but whatever this stuff is: is there definitely no way it could have any effect on the trip?

This is just another variation on the dirty acid/polymorphism/non-lsd-ergoloids/set and setting discussion.

The only fact in these discusions is that no one truely knows, and that no conclusive conclusions can be drawn due to the lack of hard scientific evidence, otherwise we wouldn't keep having these debates. Each and every opinion in these debates are just opinions, not facts.

This is how I perceive it:
- LSD is LSD, and obviously it can't be dirty or clean.
- I don't believe the presence of lumi-LSD or iso-LSD can have any influence on a trip. And there is no scientific evidence for it regardless.
- polymophism. I guess the jury is still out on that one, but the consensus from the chemistry savy is that it seems to be unlikely.
- Set and setting is a pispoor and unsatisfying explanation to the people who have experienced this phenomenon. And there's no double-blind study done to proove it anyway.
- Then there's the theory that non-LSD lysergamides are being circulated as LSD. Which there actually is some inconclusive evidence for, as seen in this thread.

I have personally tried batches of LSD that I swear I would be able to spot in a blind test, which in my opinion makes the "set and setting" argument seem incredulous to me. I am aware that the "set and setting" proponents are going to scoff at this, and say it's just an anecdote, which is true. But their standpoint doesn't have much more evidence to back it up than my claim of the opposite.

So to sum it, AA357, it's currently a mystery that no one can explain but only speculate about. Maybe we will get an answer someday, now that research in psychedelics seem to get more acceptance.
Thanks. It's interesting to see that other people have noticed differences between batches as well.
I am convinced there is more to it than just psychological factors as I only notice significant differences between batches - NOT between acid tabs off the same sheet. No two trips are exactly the same, but they shouldn't feel that different.

Different batches = different purity %

Maybe one batch was 79% pure and the other was 91% pure.....I'm sure they would have varying results of feelings and trip variables

What causes LSD to vary in its stimulant effect? Impurities? Age? Also, why do most LSD blotters have that same distinct metallic taste?

Thanks.

You seem very confident of what dosages are on your blotters. The more stimulating ones may just be higher dosed (regardless of how they're advertised). I have noticed consistent differences of effect in different batches of acid though (hard to be sure when your analysis equipment is what is being affected). To me (a non-chemist) the idea that the last stages of acid production which purify it and remove inactive isomers could be skipped or done with varying efficiency is feasible - isoLSD (etc) don't have to be active on their own, just modulate the effects of lsd at the receptors - like how CBD works with THC. However varing dosage + set and setting still seem the most obvious culprit.

Last edited:
That crossed my mind, but aren't the non-LSD lysergamides rarer and more expensive than LSD? I can see why unscrupulous vendors might try to pass off 25x as LSD but it doesn't seem like it would be economically viable to do this with lysergamides.
not neccesarily, if you are a clandestine lab and have an endless supply of ergotamine, price shouldn't be the limiting factor.

"Why would they do it?"
Well, for the lulz. Because they can. Because they are curious (like us) or because the subjective effects of some of them might be more recreative.
"Why would they sell it as LSD, and not as an RC lysergamide?"
Because it's a clandestine lab, they don't wont to be "public". Besides, why should they, they don't have problems getting rid of their LSD.
"Why is it not found more often in tests, then?"
Because getting your LSD tested properly is just now recently getting more widespread imo, because of the emergence of darkweb vendors. I personally think it's only a fraction of the LSD that is produced that gets tested by the consumers. And besides, as can be seen in the thread I linked to in my previous post, wierd LSD blotters have been analysed to inconclusive results.

Yes, yes, it's all just speculation. And mind you, I'm not saying that what you have is an analog. I'm saying it's a mystery why you experience this batch differently. It's very possible that many more factors are at play in different instances of this phenomenon than we can think of.

I personally believe, that different batches of d-LSD-25 proper can have variable effects, for some mysterious reason. While I also believe that LSD analogs have been produced and distributed as LSD (well, I actually know it for a fact, but I'm not going to claim that here, it's pointless anecdoteism) But I think this might not be more than like 1% or whatever of the whole LSD production. A very small number anyway, and that 1% was just a number I pulled out of my ass.

Thanks. It's interesting to see that other people have noticed differences between batches as well.
I am convinced there is more to it than just psychological factors as I only notice significant differences between batches - NOT between acid tabs off the same sheet. No two trips are exactly the same, but they shouldn't feel that different.
Exactly =D It's actually a very old debate, and as I've said, it's usually ascribed to either purity or placebo, and there is no scientific evidence of either claim. It's all just hearsay and "I think it must be like this, therefore it is like this".

I am personally happy to say "I don't know".

Different batches = different purity %

Maybe one batch was 79% pure and the other was 91% pure.....I'm sure they would have varying results of feelings and trip variables

Yeah, well, that's like, you know, your opinion, man. :D

I find that music tempo & rhythm effects LSD too... Music that has a faster beat then your heartbeat speeds things up .... Psybient, downbeat, chill music.. is at or below most folks heartbeat rate.. and keep you mellow for example..and Environment, set and setting, your intention has allot to do with your trip too...

Also music that is tuned to 432Hz .. is allot more emotional then how music is tuned now.. 440Hz.. A

here are two link to kind of help explain this...
http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/12/21/heres-why-you-should-convert-your-music-to-432hz/

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/does-music-help-you-run-faster/