• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

who were you before electronica?

barney- sun project woohoo
that cheesy guitar riff puts a grin on my face from ear to ear every time!!! soo cheesy yet sooo goooddd
smile.gif

yeah similar story here: i was a into nin, primus tea party ect - ended up doofin! and doofin and doofin....tho i am starting to not mind heading indoors for a bit of tekno every now and then!
now its like "what $40 to see a band for 2 hours!?!"

hmmm b4 electronica... kinda hard to draw the line... my first cassette was micheal jackson, that's when i was like... 10 or 11
smile.gif

i'd suspect between 10 - 12 i was listening to the usual stuff we call "retro" now, loved depeche mode...
when i was 13 till 17, started listening to guns n roses, pet shop boys, more depeche mode, jam n spoon and utah saints. always been more partial to electronica; it was easy for me to progress from dm, psb and j n s to wat im listening to these days... but would say the first cd that finished the transition from the retro/synth-pop era to electronica would be perfecto - fluoro.
oakie always has a sentimental spot in my heart
wink.gif

after which renaissance and northern exposure kinda sealed my fate, pretty much like wat happened to melt
wink.gif

------------------
["a young boy puts a feather into his mouth..." -jeff noon] | [vurtopia]

Yeah i have to agree with ya barney. bush doofs are the best thing to get into first because they are so totaly different to anything else, eg no misconceptions about crapy dance music being played in mainstream clubs.
i first saw the light at an earthcore, and went only to doofs for the first year and a half. idoors is alright but the bush will always be my home
psy rocks

Bob Dylan - he remains at the top of my list tho...
Cab Calloway
Frank Sinatra
Louis Armstrong
Ella Fitzgerald
- still listen to them tho..
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Spiderbait
- not so much anymore, sometimes..
The Doors
Rolling Stones
Led Zepellin...
mmm not as much as I used to..
Yeah - its aaaallllll good
smile.gif

Oh yeah who else was all puritanical and "that shit isn't music, it's just some dude at a computer hitting keys."
that's me. well, was me. a short flashback:
---
(enter cafe in st kilda. yaya, melt, vurtomatic etc talking over coffee and cigs)
yaya: so, tell me what 'techno' is all about cos i really don't get it.
melt: bla bla bla bla bla
vurt: yea, bla bla bla bla
yaya: uh huh.. ok, here's the challenge: lend me a couple of cds that will change my mind. howboudit?
melt: (nods) ok (wry smile)
vurt: (scratches stubble)
(a few days later, yaya gets his paws on northern exposure.)
(a few weeks later, at Innovator with theAztec Mystic)
yaya: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
vurt: (scratches stubble)
--- the end ---
life's good.
[This message has been edited by yaya (edited 24 May 2001).]

Yes yaya, that night with Rolando would have converted anyone... What a party.
------------------
The woods are dark and deep, and you have miles to go before you sleep...

I used to be...um.... very, very straight before I started listening to electronica. I also used to listen to ALOT of the cure.

bah i started with local jazz cos my dad is obsess with it when i was like 7 or 8, moved on to michael jackson and shit around 9 or 10, then went into top 40 pop shit around 11 and 12, then migrated into grunge/punk rock/alternative/metal/rock etc. with bands such as: local stuff, spiderbait, regurge, gerling, powderfinger (there were more i just cant remember them atm :/), international such as: offspring, nirvana, ratm, then moved further down into heavier stuff, like slipknot, machinehead, deftones, tool and stuff.
then i started liking happy hardcore that i downloaded such as anabolic frolic chapter 4, sandstorm by dune and cream by whoever, pvd maybe? and i slid straight into the rave scene
bah
smile.gif

RUSHINGROCOOCOO- may i say we have something incredibly in common hehe.....i used to be the hugest silverchair fan (ill try to avoidnteh word groupie). hehe...seen them 11 or so times, and am actally VERY excited to be seeing them in january haha....
So yes i was a lil alternative rocker, would be at 2 or more gigs around a week...
and with what someone else said, i serisouly think t hats why i love the psytrance scene so much, becuz its full of alternative people...i love the alternative lifestyle
smile.gif

Bunny was the original GANGSTA. Homie G thru and thru. I must admit tho, I still love my hip hop. Can't wait to see De La Soul at Gate Crasher........
But know, as most of you MUST admit, theg dance revolution has caught me.
Im making love to the music, and beleive you me.. I can go all night.... k'know what I mean?

I still listen to all my old favourite bands eg Pearl Jam, powderfinger and all the likes. Though i am getting bored of all my CD's and there just isn't anything new that is really good enough to warrent going out and shelling out $30. This is where electronic music comes in, it's new and fresh, something different. Lots of energy in it which just makes the blood pump! But still just coz i hear a new kind of music doesn't mean i can't still enjoy the music i listened to before. Don't get me wrong, I love good electronic music, but variety is needed and different moments call for diferent music. By dissing the music i liked before i am just as bad as all the "all they do is push buttons on a computer" neigh sayers out there, ie my old high school friends. Few of us have moved on, and it makes be laugh at there persistance to wear their metallica shirts, black jeans, long greasy hair, and drive their MIGHTY V8's. Least i wasn't quite that bad but gee when i look back i think to myself, "what the fuck was i thinking?"
smile.gif

------------------
where's your head at?
come to think of it, where's mine?????

Before electronica - one of those "alternative/skatey" guys - baggy jeans, lotsa hoods - music from deftones and tool (fave rock bands) to hip-hop, R&B, even commercial stuff - anything that makes me boogy i'll have a piece of.
Moving on from that - got intro'd to cheesy hardhouse and trance stuff.. tastes have diversified from then into two step/funky house and progressive fatness.
i look at my CD collection and its pretty varied - Artful Dodger, Darren Pierce, Michael Jackson, Deftones, Korn, Tool, Lauren Hill, Bexta, Prog house compilations, hardhouse compilations, R&B/Hip-hop compilations.. a bitta everything. Nowadays though i definately search out stuff i could see myself either a) singing along to or b) dancing my ass off to, cheesy days are gone.
Appropriate for my sig i thought
wink.gif

------------------
"It could be a rave on a Saturday night, it could be a car on a sunny afternoon. Basslines rumble and groan, beats pop and fizzle, it's the sound of the UK, garage nation 2001. It's the sound of US house and garage grooves mashed up with crunchy hip-hop beats and precision-chopped R&B rhythms, the sound of ruffneck ragga flavours, old-skool hardcore licks and sweet soul music fed through an ever inventive blender of British street culture. It's a sound that's constantly mutating and moving forward at frightening speed, but through it all some things remain ever-present: melodies, harmonies, hooks, songs." Artful Dodger lessons from the underground.

I used to be into Cali skater punk such as Blink 182 (about 6 years ago before they sold out and sucked), Millencolin, Pennywise, Lagwagon, Dead Kennedies, Vandals ETC...
I also loved TOOL, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, (even though at their 2nd concert I fell asleep cuz I was so stoned hehe!)
I thikn Underworld were my first taste in dance music...! And then I just started going out dancing lots to clubs where techno was the main so I started getting into it.
I still listen 2 a variety of music though from Kylie (Yeah i know shoosh!), punk to funky tekhouse and trance MMMmmm all good =)
------------------
I used to get high on crack, until I realised it was cut with coke...

Well I still lsiten to all sorts of music, so electronica is just apart of my taste. But perhaps the first track that really got me hooked was Dead Eyes Open, by Severed Heads. I was 14 when that came out, and I just learn't more and more.
------------------
-------------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. If Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around a darkened room, munching pills. and listening to repetitive music...

can we keep this one moddy? can we pllleassee keep this one and the related old thread too????

*bfb sings...*
Like Bunny... if I could be like bunny!
:)
Damn imposters!

well still am.. a UK Garage Kid.. droppin some 2 step....
*runs from the flames*
:)

eehh well...from when i was a baby i had this what i can say "mild disorder" of loving anything with beatz.......but i do listen to chillout ambient stuff or sometimes even more unexpectedly sarah mclahclan or soem other commercial stuff...
but to have the basement jaxx's where your head is at a rave or club in the middle of hard doofing traxx is the best thing ... *cchhheesseee*