• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Which psychedelics have given you the most mentally disorienting experiences?

Sapphic Geometry

Ex-Bluelighter
After trying my hand with a decent number of psychedelics, something that I've started to notice is that most of them are mentally quite clear on any given occasion. Now, I enjoy having some deep thoughts and cool visuals while still being able to handle normal everyday activities as much as the next person, but sometimes I'd like to really lose my mind too, you know?

I specifically used the phrase mentally disorienting to differentiate from a scale which only measures things like ego loss. This wouldn't give me the kind of answer I'm looking for, as for example DMT gives me this very strongly and yet I feel quite lucid while I'm on it. Actually for the level of hallucination it provides I'd say it's probably one of the most lucid psychedelics I've come across.

The kind of disorientation I'm speaking of is the kind that makes you basically insane to the outside world, where up is down and in is out and straight is curved and every thought you have is just a misinterpretation of a misinterpretation of a misinterpretation of a reaction you tried to have towards something that didn't actually happen, and time is all out of whack and you can't speak a normal sentence to save your life.

For me so far, the top dog in this category is definitely mushrooms. Visuals are barely even required before I hit a point of just being forced into nonsensical daydreams any time I try to do anything on them at all. At higher doses simple tasks such as getting dressed even become incredibly difficult if not downright impossible. I would have to say that higher doses of LSD are next in line for me; sometimes LSD can be very clear but it's not uncommon for me to feel normal through the peak only to start coming down a bit and realize that at least a few details of what I thought was going on were pretty far from true. I've also been known to get sucked into something I'm focusing on and forget which room I'm in or what direction I'm facing, and sometimes it's hard to tell if there are other people around me or not.

I have tried others that had some level of delirium, like 4-AcO-MET, but compared to what I've gotten from mushrooms and LSD those have been pretty mentally tame. Which psychedelics have you tried that can compare to this level of psychological effect?

I haven't got a very broad range of experience, but I'd definitely have to agree with you on mushrooms. I think it has a lot to do with the whole turning off of that filter between your conscious mind and subconscious/sensory inputs. Just adds to the confusion when you can't even focus on one thing.

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE your description of disorientation. Spot on.

with shrooms, just hearing stuff, can send me into weeird thought loops, make me start thinking that the fbi is outside my door and stuff

with acid, iv gotten the most paranoid ive been in my life, completely delusional

i couldnt talk on mxe + 4-ho-met, but it was one the most visually stunning experiences ive had

In my experience it would have to be Mushrooms or Some RC chems that are similar in structure such as 4-aco-dmt. They provide me with heavy mental distortions as well as emotional depth that can tend to fog my rational thinking. Everything seems much more difficult to comprehend when under the influence of these psychedelics, though abstract thinking is much more profound.
If I am looking for something more mentally inebriating, then I would say the mushroom family. If lucid mentality is what I am looking for than I lean towards DMT.

As far as the most mental distortion of any drug class goes though I would hands down say Salvia Divinorium there is nothing more of a cosmic joke than that stuff. It is just a mend bender with no recollection or similarity of rational thought processes.

I haven't got a very broad range of experience, but I'd definitely have to agree with you on mushrooms. I think it has a lot to do with the whole turning off of that filter between your conscious mind and subconscious/sensory inputs. Just adds to the confusion when you can't even focus on one thing.

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE your description of disorientation. Spot on.

Oh yes, there's definitely something very special about mushrooms. :) Whenever I take them I feel like my subconscious mind is just unfolding in front of me. It's one of my dreams to experiment with some pure psilocin one of these day.... I bet that taking a dose equivalent to a very large dose of mushrooms just all at once in powder form would hit you hard and fast. 8o

Hehe and thank you, it comes from much personal experience. :p

with shrooms, just hearing stuff, can send me into weeird thought loops, make me start thinking that the fbi is outside my door and stuff

with acid, iv gotten the most paranoid ive been in my life, completely delusional

i couldnt talk on mxe + 4-ho-met, but it was one the most visually stunning experiences ive had

I get that on mushrooms too, mainly because they give me sound intensifications and hallucinations like crazy. Actually I'd say that the only other psychedelic I've tried that even approached the same level of sound hallucinations of mushrooms so far was 4-AcO-MET... but even that fell a bit short. Audio stuff can definitely add a lot to the insanity of a situation. I think all the reports out there on DiPT support that....

I honestly don't get paranoid on LSD really, but I have been pretty delusional on it before. What kind of things do you get paranoid about?

I'll bet that combo with 4-HO-MET was amazing. :) By itself it was actually pretty clearheaded for me (though maybe a little less so than something like 4-HO-MiPT) but when I combined it with nitrous, the only dissociative I had available to me at the time, it became incredibly delirious and visionary. Really cool stuff....

In my experience it would have to be Mushrooms or Some RC chems that are similar in structure such as 4-aco-dmt. They provide me with heavy mental distortions as well as emotional depth that can tend to fog my rational thinking. Everything seems much more difficult to comprehend when under the influence of these psychedelics, though abstract thinking is much more profound.
If I am looking for something more mentally inebriating, then I would say the mushroom family. If lucid mentality is what I am looking for than I lean towards DMT.

As far as the most mental distortion of any drug class goes though I would hands down say Salvia Divinorium there is nothing more of a cosmic joke than that stuff. It is just a mend bender with no recollection or similarity of rational thought processes.

While I of course agree with the mushrooms, I actually found most of the psilocin analogues I've used so far to be pretty lucid. I would say that for me it's been kind of like mushrooms >>> 4-AcO-MET > 4-HO-MET > 4-AcO-DMT ~= 4-HO-MiPT ~= 4-HO-DiPT. Which ones have you found to provide the most distortion? I am a little more hopeful for a few others still; 4-HO-DET I'm looking forward to trying. I suppose I might just need to push the doses higher on things too....

Definitely agreed on the salvia, haha. It is one of my favorite psychoactives for that reason. It feels similar to both a psychedelic and a dissociative but is much more delirious than either of them for me, most of the time. I feel like a higher dose of mushrooms for me could be similarly insane though, I'm looking forward to having some more of them to work with again....

Not one? You're missing out, man. Unless clearheadedness is your thing, in which case yay for you. :D

I used to actually not get much mental alteration from psychedelics at all; it took years for me to get to this point. I would always trip with a friend who was incredibly sensitive to these effects too, and now all he wants is to have lucid trips. Different strokes lol.

In my experience with 4-aco-dmt in the 150mg range there is really nothing to relate to at all as far as normal perception goes. Since there is no basis point to relate my experience with I say it is one of the most mentally clouding psychedelic compound I have tried. Really though you hit a point in heroic dosing with any psy where mental confusion is inevitable and probably hazardous to try to hold on too. Just have to really let go at that point. For low dose mental confusion that might be silly or fun though, my bets are on mushrooms.

Ah, yeah I haven't hit that dose range with any of the synthetics just yet.... I imagine they would all be pretty strong at that point though. I'm actually not really looking for something just silly.... I mostly dose high unless I'm trying something new. I'm just trying to get a grip on which psychedelics can give me the best mindsets I like.... They definitely do all become just delirious eventually but some do have much more intense head warps than others. Honestly though I thought 4-AcO-DMT was one of the clearest psychedelics I've ever tried.... I guess I'll have to go a bit higher with it next time.

Psychedelics - probably 60mg of 4-HO-MET, but it wasn't even 1/100 as strong as MXE or Diphenidine.

I guess I really do need to push higher on these things.... I thought 4-HO-MET was pretty lucid at 25 mg, but I did note that it had an LSD-like frame of mind for me, and very voidy. I could see it getting a little nuts at higher doses especially with the visuals.... Yeah dissociatives are pretty much always going to be stronger, but I just like psychedelics more. Actually deliriants may have ended up as my favorite class of hallucinogens if it weren't for all the nasty side effects. But unfortunately that's not the case.... Maybe I should have included a question about dissociatives too though. Nitrous oxide gives me a pretty potent brain scrubbing especially when mixed with psychedelics but DXM was far crazier. Ketamine was actually quite lucid for me, and ultimately more similar to nitrous....

i've tried a lot of stuff, but still the most mentally disorienting experiences i've ever had were on high doses of LSA, with Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds specifically being the variety that are the most disorienting.

to put that in perspective, i've had: 2C-E, 2C-P, 2C-I, 2C-T-4, 2C-T-7, 2C-T-21, DOC, DOI, 25I-NBOMe, 4-AcO-DMT, 4-HO-MiPT, 4-HO-MPT, DMT, DPT, LSD, and mushrooms, and maybe a few more that i'm forgetting...

now, if we include dissociatives, though, 3-MeO-PCP is even more disorienting than LSA is...

I know it's a combo, but as stated above, MXE + 4-ho-met is extremely disorienting. To the point where I was stuck (not in a negative way) on my bed listening to Fallout 3's ambient environmental music through my Turtle Beach headphones, just watching the screen rotate around and around my character that was standing next to one of the lit up subway line maps in the subway station. I could barely do anything at all, and the visuals were absolutely outstanding.

one time on hawaiian baby woodrose seeds i was locked out of my apartment and thought i had to put a boot on my head in order to open the door. its a good thing my neighbors didn't see me. took me about 5 minutes but i finally realized the key in my pocket was the trick to getting the door open.

6 HBWR seeds had me feeling like I was a movie character à la Raoul Duke (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas). I felt mad and rolled around the ground while thinking about all those god damn lizard people. I then proceeded to go into a twilight state and had visions of eagles, all while losing complete control/sensation of temperature. Blankets on, blankets off, repeat.

I was practically in a puddle of my own sweat by the end of the trip. Never again, what a shit awful drug.

Probably 2C-E for me. Though it's hard to define mentally disorienting. Some of my higher end trips, I get lots of short term memory loss as in, I will do something and then 2 minutes later have zero recollection of having done that. Sentences often end up as fragments, highly incoherent. Logic is a never ending crisis, where 2+2=5 and that makes perfect sense even though it doesn't. Black is white and left is right. Every now and then it comes to an emotional balance and everything can just be and I am lost for maybe 20-30 minutes in a sea of perfection and it is the most satisfying feeling in the world, until I have to go take a piss and it's back to a mental crisis.

Second 2C-E. More than likely it was because I dosed too much.

I was on a solo-trip, intent on self-improvement after falling out with an old-friend who happened to be my boss at the time. I quit the job, and spent some of my savings on a hefty amount of psychedelic confectionery. The first night I had the mindset of 'Just jump into the void' - So I did, and... I did. To this day I still think it's miraculous that I didn't call the ambulance for myself. I really thought I was either dying or already dead. It started off very... melty. And then came all the terror that is inherent in all newborns coming into a new, unknown space.

I ended up watching this guy named Bas Rutten narrate his fighting career for 3 hours until I came out of the void.

For me, mushrooms and 2C-E. 2C-E is sometimes very clear-headed but I had one trip in particularly that was so overwhelming and fast that it's the most out there I've probably ever been... terrifying really, but also beautiful and an experience I'm glad I had.

Yeah, I also almost called the ambulance on that 2C-E trip, I even thought about killing myself because I was convinced that I was about to be utterly annihilated from existence, or possibly that all existence was about to be destroyed, but if I died then I'd escape it and keep following the natural cycle of existence. Fortunately even in that state I wasn't going to let myself go to either of those places.

DPT can send one topsy turvy, as can 4-AcO-DPT when injected intramuscularly. I think I follow the distinction between ego-dissolution effects and the kind of mind warping, cognition challenging effects you're looking for, but in my experience there's a lot of overlap between these kinds of effects, so it's hard to judge. Adding MXE or MXP (as oppossed to more smoothly integrating dissos like K) to whatever psychedelics you find such qualities in is my recommendation (bearing in mind those two are quite different). That sort of dissociative mania makes for more turbulent travels through inner-space ... giving the psycho-sphere a crazy klown, jingle-jangled, demented carnival feel that can be fun while skirting the edge of madness.

Last edited:
one time on hawaiian baby woodrose seeds i was locked out of my apartment and thought i had to put a boot on my head in order to open the door. its a good thing my neighbors didn't see me. took me about 5 minutes but i finally realized the key in my pocket was the trick to getting the door open.

That's funny. You were trying to boot down the door.

That's such a randomly hilarious thing to occur to you as a solution to opening a door. :D