Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

which is your favourite: David Lynch film?

pick one

• Eraserhead

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • The Elephant Man

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dune

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Blue Velvet

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Wild at Heart

• Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Lost Highway

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • The Straight Story

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Mulholland Dr.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Rabbits

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Inland Empire

• Total voters
Mulholland made the transitions flow more smoothly, and made the laws of that universe's physics feel natural on an almost instinctive level - the dream logic that controlled the world touched the subconscious further and drew me in to the point where I didn't even notice my mind adapting to it. The thing that makes this movie my favorite movie of all time is that it creates a distinct emotional response that is very real, yet can not be defined using any words. The beautiful thing about Lynch is that I believe he may feel the same way during the film-making process. Perhaps a lot of his films are set around the notion of exploring uncharted waters that are present in the human mind very strongly but are hidden because of their thus far inexplicable nature. Maybe a lot of his personal meditation revolves around finding these treasures.

I agree! Very well written about Lynchs ability to to spellbind the audience. Mulholland drive is one of my favorite movies. I've seen it about 20 times. When I feel down and bored or just lack inspiration, it makes me feel better just to see this moving piece of poetry. I think it has to do with how Mulholland drive never state dream, reality and memory. No boring logic or an end with all the answers.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't like David Lynch films very much.

it's hard to pick between eraserhead and blue velvet but dennis hopper in blue velvet got my vote.
def prefer the earlier stuff.
the music is always great.
even though lynch can get kinda overwrought at times, he always delivers something deliciously unexpected.

I can't believe Dune got that many votes. I mean, yes, I'm one who picked it but I always thought I was in the serious minority for loving that movie.

Strangely enough, my fav is...The Straight Story. And not because I dislike his canon - he's one of those directors where I always find something interesting in play. But TSS channels his energies in a quite wonderful direction. Richard Farnsworth's lead performance was incredible (and sadly, his swan song), and it's one of the few G rated movies that not at all for kids.

was dune ever released in 3D? i have a vague recall as a kid watching a sandwormmonster film in 3d.

^ Not that I can recall, then again I was like 1 when it was first released. :)

yeah i think i was taken to see it as a kid ( i was 7). to me i associate the sand worms with a 3d movie. i'm probably mistaken.

Are you serious? I have to pick my favorite picture or Laura Dern? Hehe. I had a tough time choosing between "Blue Velvet," and "Wild At Heart," but I ended up going with the latter just because I could relate to it on a more personal level, but I must agree, "Blue Velvet" is quite stunning.

Inland Empire is my *favorite* film. It is a post-modern masterpiece and I find something new every time I watch it. There are several scenes that are strangely terrifying, and Grace Zabrieskie's brief scene near the beginning was an incredible hook. The experience as a whole was penetrating and haunting, although it took several viewings before I could even begin to try to figure out what was going on. I love David Lynch's interest in insanity and the unfathomable depths as well as the fragility of the human mind, and he is hands down my favorite director.

Mulholland Dr. is a close second. It was my first David Lynch experience and once I got over the initial "What the fuck is going on" and realized what a simple and heartbreaking story was at the center of the film, I fell in love. David Lynch has a knack for making anything terrifying (like ceiling fans), and he has a way of depicting visceral emotions in such a way that the depth of the emotion is not lost through the medium. Also, Naomi Watts was outstanding.

Blue Velvet is third for all the reasons why everyone else loved it.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is fourth (I'll note here that I fell asleep during Eraserhead. I'll get on it soon, promise). I didn't like it right away, and I watched it when I was close to finishing the series. After some time had passed after I finished the show, I watched the movie again and it was quite a different experience. I LOVE Laura Palmer and it was simply amazing to get to see her alive. Beautiful ending, powerful display of emotions. My favorite scene is the morning after when Laura is walking to school with her newly gained knowledge. The camera work is disorienting and she somehow looks like a little girl. David Lynch, I will totally be your bitch.

Mullholland drive is one of my fave movies ever, and twin peaks is one of my fave tv shows. the movie is good too, the real question tho, did he ever make a BAD movie?Honesty, I don't think so.

yeah i didn't get into w@h.

have you seen "industrial symphony"?
really, don't bother.

Mullohand drive, simple because i have watched it countless times and still have no clear idea as to whats going on! Also any film that casts Naiomi Watts and Laura Harring as lesbian should make it to the top by default