Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

which is your favourite: David Lynch film?

pick one

• Eraserhead

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • The Elephant Man

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dune

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Blue Velvet

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Wild at Heart

• Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Lost Highway

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • The Straight Story

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Mulholland Dr.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Rabbits

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Inland Empire

• Total voters
Dune baby.. Dune all the way

I'd love to ride me a sandworm

there aren't many david lynch films that i don't like, but i'd have to say blue velvet is my favorite. fire walk with me isn't far behind.

for me it has to be eraserhead. it set the bar and tone of the rest.

close behind are lost highway, mulholland dr and the straight story

She....wore....bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue velllllllvet...... That was a very hard decision to be totally honest. David Lynch is spectacular all around. But yea, Blue Velvet probably tops it for me.

again, tough choice but i settled on wild at heart.

alasdair

God, his films are so drastically different I have no clue which one to pick. It honestly depends on my mood.

I'm probably going to be shunned from this thread for saying this, but...I have the Eraserhead box set that I gave as a gift for my boyfriend's birthday a few years ago that's autographed. I haven't seen the movie yet, as I'm afraid to even touch the box. :\

I'm probably going to be shunned from this thread for saying this, but...I have the Eraserhead box set that I gave as a gift for my boyfriend's birthday a few years ago that's autographed. I haven't seen the movie yet, as I'm afraid to even touch the box. :\

Rent it! Trust me. =D

Went right out on a limb and put Fire walk with me as it blew me away when I saw it at the cinema.Would love to see the full cut of it,well actually all his films are very trimmed.
Blue velvet,originally 4 hours.Wild at Heart was way longer,but some of its on the box set that I don't own.Fire walk with me was way longer and the footage still exists but its been in legal wrangles for years.Someone should get out the proper cut of Dune.
First season of Twin Peaks was outstanding TV and the last 2 episodes of the 2nd season also_One of life's biggest pities that the network and friends wrecked the rest of it.:X

Last edited:
he took his name off the 3hr version of dune.

I really really need to see more David Lynch... haven't seen anywhere near enough.

But my fav is Lost Highway, closely followed by Mulholland Drive. This is through the lens of not having seen eraserhead or blue velvet though :(

Mulholland Drive is my fave. I've seen it more than any other movie - it's actually my favorite film of all time. I feel like he took the excellent but not quite perfectly executed concepts present in Lost Highway and polished them to perfection. Before Mulholland, Lost Highway was my favorite but I still recognized that Lynch's vision of closed time loops and multiple yet simultaneous realities was not yet perfected. I'm a big fan of his works that give me what I can only describe as the "Lynch High," where I get a sub-conscious awakening and satisfaction from a completeness that can not be defined in words once the credits roll. Eraserhead provides this fix, but I truly believe Lynch reached a zenith (hopefully not his last) with Mulholland Drive. I could go on, but as one of my friends who recently joined Bluelight (another Lynch fiend and incidentally the only person who I can actually enjoy watching a Lynch film with instead of alone by myself) can attest, I could go on and on and still not quite define the feeling. Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Eraserhead, and Inland Empire all produce a very distinct chemical reaction in my brain, and there is an afterglow that is more than just my imagination.

Speaking of Inland Empire, I have sat through it three times so far since its release and am debating whether or not right now whether it is a contender for the throne. The closed time loops and identity changes began their birth and metamorphosis with Lost Highway, and the trend progressed to Mulholland and then to Inland Empire. Lost Highway was the most neatly packaged, logic-wise, and Lynch provided blatant scenes of identity changes - I guess since he hadn't figured out how to perfect his vision artistically, he made up for it by creating a highly palatable piece that resulted in a lesser subconscious, indescribable awakening when compared to his other more complete pieces.

Mulholland made the transitions flow more smoothly, and made the laws of that universe's physics feel natural on an almost instinctive level - the dream logic that controlled the world touched the subconscious further and drew me in to the point where I didn't even notice my mind adapting to it. The thing that makes this movie my favorite movie of all time is that it creates a distinct emotional response that is very real, yet can not be defined using any words. The beautiful thing about Lynch is that I believe he may feel the same way during the film-making process. Perhaps a lot of his films are set around the notion of exploring uncharted waters that are present in the human mind very strongly but are hidden because of their thus far inexplicable nature. Maybe a lot of his personal meditation revolves around finding these treasures.

I've only seen..eraserhead, mulholland dr, and blue velvet. i think. i went with blue velvet. i need to hunt some more flicks down today...

let's see... mulholland drive. then mulholland drive. third would be mulholland drive. and fourth... probably mulholland drive

The thing that makes this movie my favorite movie of all time is that it creates a distinct emotional response that is very real, yet can not be defined using any words. The beautiful thing about Lynch is that I believe he may feel the same way during the film-making process. Perhaps a lot of his films are set around the notion of exploring uncharted waters that are present in the human mind very strongly but are hidden because of their thus far inexplicable nature. Maybe a lot of his personal meditation revolves around finding these treasures.
It's as though there is a universal rite of passage that occurs at the edge of sleep and is forgotten by each of us. Lynch crafts intimations of our great lost dreams.

My vote is for Inland Empire (all time favorite movie, too.)

EDIT: For the Lost Highway fans: check out the paragraph from this interview where I've highlighted (possible murderer) Robert Blake saying "I'd go out to the desert and get involved in some strange, isolated kind of thing."

Then watch Blake's best scene for an even more disturbing experience of Lost Highway.

Last edited: