Votes: 152 15.8%
  • 4-HO Family

Votes: 151 15.7%
  • DOx Family

Votes: 138 14.3%
  • I would legalize all drugs

Votes: 449 46.6%

• Total voters
Do you guys think opiates will every be legal? When I first join this website, weed was illegal in my state, and people would say its as bad as heroin. But now not only its legal, but you can buy at at every dispensary within 1 mile radius.

Do you guys think opiates will every be legal? When I first join this website, weed was illegal in my state, and people would say its as bad as heroin. But now not only its legal, but you can buy at at every dispensary within 1 mile radius.
We have kratom which is legal in many places of the world and it's an opioid, a light one though. Codeine is/was OTC in some places.

My belief is they should throw the prohibition altogether and replace it with a scientific model, which would probably implicate to limit the sale of alcohol, to ban pre-made cigarettes (not tobacco as a whole) - they could even make you need to brew your own beer for example, that you're allowed to share it with others but not to sell. Regulate smart shops, require the staff to undergo some training and forbid commercials. Maybe make them clubs like with cannabis in parts of Spain but people would need to acquire sort of a 'drug license' with the softer drugs just require a signature that you know what you're doing and are responsible for your actions, the harder ones having more requirements but in a way that people who really want it also can get it, so needs to be affordable. Have them withdrawal and sleep aids, anxiolytics available as well as naloxone and watch out for people acquiring high amounts - make them sign again that they know they're exceeding limitations and where they could seek help if wanted (but no obligation for that! It's what I dislike about decriminalization in portugal, they force you to attend counseling.)
Invest money into research, they could and would come up with new analogues that have a better safety profile but still profound effects, if you remove the stupid enforcement of probands not liking new drugs.

Never seen this model being proposed before, it's just a thought play but it feels like it might have benefits. It's kinda an extension of sale in pharmacies @Gormur which isn't a bad start but just look at EU pharmacies. They refuse the sale of OTC pills like dextromethorphan or even loperamide as if capitalism wouldn't apply to them and usually don't really know their business, fail at simple drug-drug interactions which I as a hobby-druggie know or rely on databases for everything and they deal with the stuff every day.

Personally I'd love to see dissociatives available as for me and for a friend they are just the better ethanol. Know it's not probable and maybe not good either because I see that part of the population reacts badly to them. Would be nice if the profs would accept that different individuals have different reactions instead of trying to enforce a one-pill-for-everybody. This just leads to very good candidates being discarded and the remaining shit not working.

Legalize them all. Harm reduction by way of clean dope and equipment. Users going back to work, no stigma and not spending all day chasing a bag. Less thievery with price drop. Police freed up to fight crimes against persons. The cartels would evaporate like smoke. Federal buildings with 2 doors. Door 1 labled "Drugs". Door 2 labled "Rehab". When you get sick of one you go to the other. Minimum age 25. Reasonable sin tax to fund rehab and add to the general fund.
"Adults should be free to make lifestyle decisions without the interference of the state" - Argentinean Supreme Court

I honestly don't even recognize the terms people throw around here. Marijuana isn't legal. There are loop holes you use to avoid getting into trouble, but there are still plenty of obstacles in place that calling it legal is just ridiculous

I mean, in theory the law can just take it away from you. They better not arrest you because they might get in trouble, but see I'm just talking about medical marijuana and showing them your medical marijuana card, which is supposed to pardon you

If you're hauling bricks of marijuana around, even if under an ounce you can be arrested for possession of marijuana

It makes no sense to call it legal when you look at the bigger picture

And like the county I was born in doesn't recognize medical marijuana, so they'll just arrest you

Last edited:
Legalize them all. Harm reduction by way of clean dope and equipment. Users going back to work, no stigma and not spending all day chasing a bag. Less thievery with price drop. Police freed up to fight crimes against persons. The cartels would evaporate like smoke. Federal buildings with 2 doors. Door 1 labled "Drugs". Door 2 labled "Rehab". When you get sick of one you go to the other. Minimum age 25. Reasonable sin tax to fund rehab and add to the general fund.
"Adults should be free to make lifestyle decisions without the interference of the state" - Argentinean Supreme Court
Junkee, thx for the solidarity. I stand by the statement, even though I'm in recovery now. I truly wonder what it would be like. Would the access generate more use? Would more people choose rehab, faster? Would the detriment to society fall or rise?

My view is that usage rate would probably increase to some extent due to curiosity of people who previously weren't willing to go to the lengths needed to obtain highly illegal drugs. It would be naive to think otherwise. However overdoses and other related harm would fall sharply due to knowing exactly what you were ingesting. Many more people would choose rehab due to no longer having a stigma attached to society knowing they were drug users. Detriment to society as a whole would massively fall because of the reasons outlined by you on your post. The cost to society from drugs being illegal is difficult to even measure. Black market trade would evaporate, like you said, which would eliminate almost all serious crime attached to drugs. Lives would stop being ruined for personal use which hurts no one except possibly the individual choosing to use them. "sin tax" would pull in tremendous amounts of money which could be used to rebuild crumbling infrastructure and pay for social services and other important societal networks and services. The reasons for legalizing and regulating are numerous and the only one I can come up with, besides stupid moral arguments about the right to choose what to put in your own body, is that more people would choose to use them than if they weren't legalized. While this is a valid concern, drugs are here to stay, you can't legislate that away. The benefits hugely outweigh the drawbacks.

All of them!!
Alcohol Kills so many more people, if you are to Add the non alcohol deaths that are just not listed as such!!

I'm surprised heroin has such little votes.

Heroin is one of the only things that completely relieves my depressive symptoms.

And so many people wouldn't be accidentally dying if they could access clean, safe diacetylmorphine.

I had friends in their 50's who had been using heroin since the 80's. Still alive and kicking, even working full time jobs.
All the way up until they got that first bag of fentanyl and didn't know any better.

RIP.

all of em. it would need to purity and labeling standards enforced. ideally sell them OTC at a pharmacy so you can ask the pharmacist about drug interactions. while i do have some more philosophical arguments in the realm of cognitive liberty, from a pure medical/health/safety standpoint legal regulation is the some of the best harm reduction we can do. safe supply trumps needle exchanges.

this is probably a bad thing and i need to work on my bias, but i really struggle to see how any drug user (from alcohol to zolpidem) can be against legalization of all drugs. i just simply don't understand how anyone with lived experience with drugs can advocate against making their use safer.

most drug users want their drug of choice to be legal. but it's just naive to expect that everyone will find the same drugs you do helpful. for some this might be cannibinoids (which seems to be largely de stigmatized in today's world) but for others it may be an opioid, and who am i to deny the truth of their experiences?

If I'm feeling bitchy, I'd say this:

Legalize the opiates -- heroin, morphine, and oxycodone at least -- legalize cocaine, legalize GHB, legalize amphetamine sulfate, legalize some benzos -- chlordiazepoxide 5mg, diazepam 2mg, and oxazepam 10mg at least -- legalize N02, legalize poppers, legalize MXE, and legalize carisoprodol.... But that's it; otherwise....:

Send marijuana back into Schedule I; uproot and burn all of Spaceship Earth's naturally occurring "entheogens"; impose a mandatory-minimum sentence upon conviction for the crime of Possession w/ Intent to Psychonaut; give alcohol abusers the one humane choice of rehab or jail; and leave the status quo alone for crystal meth, legal can't compete anymore!

[This was written very "tongue-and-cheek," so to say, and I hope that's obvious....]

this is probably a bad thing and i need to work on my bias, but i really struggle to see how any drug user (from alcohol to zolpidem) can be against legalization of all drugs. i just simply don't understand how anyone with lived experience with drugs can advocate against making their use safer.
In all seriousness, I support total 100% across-the-board drug legalzation.

BUT.... watching the human wreckage that ultra-cheap/potent methamphetamine has produced in my city (Seattle), I've had to complicate my perspective. Now, I use crystal meth too, and I certainly don't want to be prosecuted for it, nor do I want to see my fellow tweakers suffer for it.

But... it seems undeniable that the logic of furnishing (virtually) unlimited opiates to a heroin addict for maintenance does *not* have an obvious parallel with stimulants. Tolerance does not build in the same kind of way, I think. Certainly, everyday functioning is way more impaired at 1g of meth a day than 1g of heroin a day.

I still think legalized drugs could improve the situation, perhaps by putting less harmful stimulants on the market that people could choose instead. But other than phenmetrazine and perhaps a couple of others, d-methamphetamine is regarded as one of the most euphoric (and long-lasting) stimulants ever marketed.

So it's not so easy to think about someone switching from a gram of shards a day to 72mg of Concerta a day, or whatever.....

All drugs. They should be sold in pharmacies. SO MUCH crime would be reduced. Plus you'd always know what you were getting was pure and the exact dose, too.

In all seriousness, I support total 100% across-the-board drug legalzation.

BUT.... watching the human wreckage that ultra-cheap/potent methamphetamine has produced in my city (Seattle), I've had to complicate my perspective. Now, I use crystal meth too, and I certainly don't want to be prosecuted for it, nor do I want to see my fellow tweakers suffer for it.

But... it seems undeniable that the logic of furnishing (virtually) unlimited opiates to a heroin addict for maintenance does *not* have an obvious parallel with stimulants. Tolerance does not build in the same kind of way, I think. Certainly, everyday functioning is way more impaired at 1g of meth a day than 1g of heroin a day.

I still think legalized drugs could improve the situation, perhaps by putting less harmful stimulants on the market that people could choose instead. But other than phenmetrazine and perhaps a couple of others, d-methamphetamine is regarded as one of the most euphoric (and long-lasting) stimulants ever marketed.

So it's not so easy to think about someone switching from a gram of shards a day to 72mg of Concerta a day, or whatever.....
yeah i mean i would still want methamphetamine to be legal, if i was in charge.

as a tweaker myself, i'm obv biased here though

more to the point though, i think that having it sold through pharmacies would help a lot so that folks can be urged to use more reasonable doses than (for example) 1 g every day. most people learn that putting down a 30 rack of busch light every day is not normal or in any way healthy. unless the only place they learn about how to use that substance is from fellow addicts. if a trusted professional can say "hey maybe just use 50-100 mg each morning instead of 1 g and see if that's enough for ya" that's a lot more weight imo than another random druggie.