• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Where to Im - Very Skinny

Lorne???

Bluelight Crew
Ok so my veins are shot from years of drug abuse, and I guess the next route is the muscle

I will be injecting, mostly Buprenorphine strips

I am very skinny; 127lbs soaking wet at about average height

Where can I IM at? I would prefer not to go the leg or hind end because of abscess, if that is a risk. Yet my arms are just so skinny

Any help would be appreciated - I can't find my femoral vein, or would use it

Prompt answers would be appreciated

Thank You 😊

Is there a reason you don't want to use the thigh, that's where I would go. Either there or close to the shoulder in the upper arm muscle, specifically the deltoid muscle. But, I would seriously recommend against intramuscular route of administration for all of the obvious reasons.

I don’t have any veins left and I have to make it on basically ~15 8mg strips per month. I am currently hitting my foot though that will not last forever and already fails sometimes

IM buprenorphine has a BA% of ~80 and much higher peak plasma than any otherroute. (Besides IV)

My arms are super skinny, I lost close to 50lbs years ago when I first got sick; Clonazepam allowed me to eat again though I’ve never gained all the weight back

So you think the thigh is relatively safe? Trying to get advice from injecting experts

Oh and they are strips so practically no binders

Just remember, my arms are tiny, although whatever the spot, I have a couple different types of large gauge needles to use

Thanks (would love to use the deltoid, I am just so skinny though and they say that is contraindication

I get what you're saying, but getting ~70 percent bioavailability intramuscular verus ~54 percent bioavailability intrarectal doesn't outweigh the significantly increased risks with intramuscular route of administration. I've never heard the deltoid shouldn't be used for someone skinny though, and I'm really not sure where else to go besides upper arm and thigh. Sometimes in these situations, there just is no good answer, without suggesting to decrease dosage to mitigate risk - I've been where you are, all of my superficial veins are collapsed, and I wish I made better decisions when that happened. I severely screwed myself because of it. :(

But, yeah, I've used thigh for intramuscular use and surprisingly never had any complications from doing it - but I only used it on a severely limited number of occasions. I'm sure risk would go up for repeated use.

I can't go intra rectal - I have had fecal impact ion from opioids and Benzodiazepines; besides, rectal is highly variable; some studies say it barely improves Sublingual, and I need the high plasma levels from parenteral administration; IV is 20X higher than Sublingual - and rectal has the sane slow absorption and low plasma levels as Sublingual, SL and rectal(RIC) are very similar
I need the high plasma levels to combat pain and I can do it 2-3x per day and use a LOT less than SL - I wish SQ injection wasn't so erratic

Thanks for the advice though, I will probably try the thigh and hope no complications arise

I definitely understand your position. Trying to get every precious milligram, with an amount that already is too little, to the arterial blood. I wish there was something else I could think of, but you seem pretty well educated on the nuances of buprenorphine's pharmacokinetics. Are you prescribed bupe, no way you could possibly get a dosage increase?

I cannot afford a Dr, I am in the years long struggle to get SSI

So abou1@ 15 strips a month

To be clear, I could maybe afford a Dr, however it is the first visit cost (a LOT usually) and the price of the medication that are obstacles

I've heard IV bupe isn't really any different than taken other routes. If you want to avoid the needle completely, get a saline solution, put a few squirts on a spoon, dissolve a small piece of strip in it and use a straw. It's not the most appealing method, but if you've lost all your veins already, I think it beats added potential side effects from IM and you are still getting more % of bupe than sublingual and can maintain on a much lower dose.

I was heavily addicted to IV bupe it clearly was much more effective than other ROA and the only way it worked tbh.

I shoot steroids, you’re gonna wanna use your ass and deltoid. For the ass cheek it’s the upper outer quadrant of your butt. If you draw a cross on your ass cheek it’s the upper outer box on either side. that or your deltoid. If your that skinny use 5/8 needles and 1 inch on your butt.

Deltoid shot is 2 fingers below the cusp of the shoulder.

Also I think the hype behind IM use and fear of abscesses is overblown. That said I use sterile gear, I’ve never used a alcohol swab and I’ve reused needles before when in a pinch. I’ve never had an abscess

I would not IM anything without using a micron filter and bacteriostatic water. Just because you haven't gotten an absess before doesn't mean you never will. I've seen people lose limbs from shooting pills IV and getting an absess first hand and telling anybody not to take all proper precautions when IMing drugs is madness. That's an incredibly risky ROA and the easiest way to get an abscess without question. Sure it can be done safely people i know do it with Dissos/Psychs frequently but they do so with proper technique as in fresh rig, bacteriostatic water, alcohol wipe, micron filter. You gotta be so much more careful than with IV injections, cotton filters will not cut it.

Last edited:
Also I think the hype behind IM use and fear of abscesses is overblown. That said I use sterile gear, I’ve never used a alcohol swab and I’ve reused needles before when in a pinch. I’ve never had an abscess

I can promise you it's not overblown, I've had 3 open heart surgeries, artifical heart valve, dual chamber pacemaker, lost my lower lobe in right lung, heart failure and chronic venous insufficiency because of it. Trust me, I used to think exactly like you, and now I'm 33 years old and my life is forever changed.

Ok so my veins are shot from years of drug abuse, and I guess the next route is the muscle

I will be injecting, mostly Buprenorphine strips

I am very skinny; 127lbs soaking wet at about average height

Where can I IM at? I would prefer not to go the leg or hind end because of abscess, if that is a risk. Yet my arms are just so skinny

Any help would be appreciated - I can't find my femoral vein, or would use it

Prompt answers would be appreciated

Thank You 😊
Why not try boofing

^ What is "boofing "

Buprenorphine does not absorb well from the skin, unlike Heroin

(SQ Buprenorphine is still better than paranteral routes, though

As I have already said, I am lucky if I go to the restroom twice a week, way too packed up down there

No matter which muscles I put it in it hurts bad for days - I am just to skinny (BMI 18, though almost no muscle

My mother shot im her muscles for 2 years and never had a problem, however she is naturally muscular from past experience

Hey Lorne! It's great to see you around and kicking dude. I am a bad friend admittedly, as I was pretty unaware of your situation. I worry because I have known a lot of people who have experienced complications from injection Buprenorphine strips :(

I'm not sure what the problem is, but there would appear to be a component of the strip mechanism that contributes to a higher-than-would-be-expected rate of injection complications and they can be severe. This makes me concerned for your health if you move to intramuscular as an ROA.

I'm not gonn lecture you as I know you're well versed. I just want other folks to be aware of the potential danger. Micron filters are definitely recommended.

If you're trying to figure out the best muscle, there are some varying opinions. The butt-ox seems to be a sound choice due to its size although some sources advise against it.

If you want my personal recommendation, it would be to go for your quadriceps. Go ahead and grab a handful of your left or right quadriceps. If you need help locating a good spot, sit in a chair with your feet on the ground. Push your heel against the floor. Thjs should cause your quadriceps to bulge out.

Graphic a handful halfway up your thigh. Hold it, identify it and find out where it starts and ends. With your other hand insert the needle at a 90 degree angle into the muscle and inject. There will probably be pain, so you cant use sensation to identify a good or bad shot. You have to go by sight and touch.

How does this sound?

My quadras were well developed from all the walking in the city, though when I lost ~45 pounds they never quite recovered

Still, good advice, the kind of thing I am looking for. My Buprenorphine source may or may not give me the rest of mine, says I am going through them faster than usual because finding veins is more difficult (MUCH more