• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

When your writing a paper....

For layout, I just used the default setting of Latex (ah, the beauty of typing maths). It's default settings are specifically done to make the maths readable. I change the font size to 10 or 12 depending on how much material there is (no point in cramming it in for a medium length project) but leave margin sizes and line spacing alone.

One problem is that Latex by default doesn't have a spell checker, so have to go through it with a fine toothcomb afterwards.

I'm typing up the beginnings of my 4th year coursework now and found that rather than put in a page of tedious derivation of a rather standard result, it's better to put a (*) next to the result and then point the reader to the appendix where the result is done. Tends to prevent breaking the flow of the paper (and I readily admit I nicked this idea from various maths papers I've read).

Though it seems the majority of you are humanities (or at least non-science) should any of you be science students and haven't heard of Latex (it's pronounced Lay-tek) I highly recommend it. Aside from being able to do about any maths symbol under the sun and flash stuff like Feynman diagrams it's go so many built in layout functions (auto-makes a contents page, a list of tables and figures etc) it makes projects infinitely easier and better presented than Word. I'd never ever consider doing any kind of writeup in Word now.

>>Though it seems the majority of you are humanities (or at least non-science)>>

sociology. It doesn't know what kind of discipline it is! :)

ebola

My best prof ever required two paper copies of every paper, and also a floppy disk with the paper on it. He's the only prof that I've had that could smell BS from a mile away, he tried hard to get everybody to use the plainest English possible, and keep their paper as short as possible. Not that he was dumb, he was probably one of the smartest people I've ever met, but great academic writing should be strictly about conveying your argument as concisely as possible. Unfortunately, in my experience, most profs don't seem to understand this.

Size 13 font. Not noticably bigger and beefs up your paper. length is always a definite plus

this and this

Always go for the extra page... even ifs just one sentence it helps out.

directly contradict this

Make it professional looking.

imo...makes ur paper look "weaker" if anything (the first 2 quotes)

I just use APA, Chicago or MLA Style when writing papers. If it's a creative writing paper, obviously that's different.

Wow.. just wow... a picture on the cover page? That's just too tacky for college level IMO

We're required to use Arial or Times New Roman 10 or 12 pt., 1 inch margins. I couldn't get away with using 13pt.