• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

When your writing a paper....

>>anyone else struggle to bring their work below the word limit? >>

This has been the case with EVERY paper I've written in grad school so far.

>>Most of my professors even hated covers sheets. They wanted to see name, date, class, title on page 1 and then straight into the opening paragraph.>>

This is how I do it...and usually, the aformentioned info is handwritten in the corner, 'cause I just don't give a fuck.

ebola

word limit? Ive never had a word limit, profs actually do that?

btw- thank you ebola, i got home far after when you said you would have free time. thank you anyways :)

My tips, from someone who has written a fair share of well-received papers:

1.) Use spell checker, and keep a dictionary and general writing / grammar guide handy.

2.) Avoid long lists; they are almost always what one of my profs called "literary poison".

3.) Avoid cliches like the plague. ;)

4.) Unless absolutely necessary, do not use encyclopedias; if you do need them, use only the bare minimum, and clearly reference it. Lots of profs see encyclopedia use as intellectual laziness.

5.) Write an outline, preferably with your topics organized thematically.

6.) Never neglect a good introduction and conclusion. It's best to write these two components last, rather than first when they'll only limit what you can do.

7.) For research papers, I find that I always gather more research than I actually need. Not only does this give you a safety net, it can force you to learn how to condense a lot of info into a concise statement; teachers love clear, concise writing.

8.) Footnotes or endnotes. They are a bitch, but teachers love them, and they show intellectual honesty.

9.) For long papers, make careful, judicious use of quotes. Too few may make the paper look bare and paraphrased, and too many will clutter the paper and look pedantic.

10.) Keep your notes handy--I mean literally at your desktop, for easy reference. This is where the good old spiral and marginal notes will be your best friends.

11.) Use lots of different sources related to your topic, and tie them together in your paper. It shows the degree of effort you're willing to make to prove a point or a theme, and in any event strengthens a paper, in my op. Relying too heavily on one or two sources never looks good, though I admit that sometimes it's almost inevitable. Try to avoid it, though.

12.) Start *early*. I'm a terrible procrastinator, myself, but I think that starting early on my papers helped me immeasurably; it gave me more time to polish my work, and reduced the cramming pressure that can muddy your focus and your paper.

13.) Use other good essays, or other nonfiction writing as starting examples. For instance, I was inspired by Peter Brown's "The World of Late Antiquity"; it condenses a huge amount of information in an incredibly short, concise book with a theme that is immediately present at the end. When I wrote my seminar, I went for the same effect, and my prof loved it.

14.) Write with the *intention* of making it look good, by taking your time and having a critical eye. This latter quality is especially important; the paper that you think is Pulitzer material today may look like a mad lib tomorrow. If there's one thing that profs hate aside from generally bad editing, it's papers that look like somebody cooked them up 10 minutes before class.

Last edited:
They give an ideal length, typically 1500 or 200o words (depends on the course). Usually you can get away with +/- 10%. Some proffessors will give your paper a failing grade if you don't meet a minimum length.

anyone else struggle to bring their work below the word limit?

ugh, i remember spending the last night before handing in my extended essay last year (1/7 of my final overall grade) frantically cutting out single words from the main text and the footnotes to somehow get below the word limit without having to modify the structure of the essay

i always use up the 101% available; it means i have a lot to learn when it comes to adequately expressing complicated ideas without undue wastage.

There's usually a lot of wastage in my essays. I always seem to write a noticable amount over the limit and then spend nearly as much time cutting words out as I do writing it! I don't plan very well.

I usually end up with a better paper as a result though.

Here are some of my personal style guides. I have not had any profs complain about them and usually get good marks on essays.

- Be a minimalist. Use the least ammount of words possible to express any given idea. That is easier said than done - you also want your sentences to be full and coherent. Avoid blabber. Only use pleonasm (and other rhetoric) if you know what you're talking about.. which takes me to the second point:

- KNOW what you're talking about. Most profs (I don't know about assistants) are able to see right through b/s. So let's say you're writing an essay on French Revolution literature. Robespiere is inseparable from the french revolution and mentioned in some of the literature of the period. However, let's say you know nothing about the man besides his role in the revolution - do NOT attempt to go in-depth about Robespierre. Of course, we all resort to b/s every now and then, especially in classes we don't care about. But using b/s will severely limit your ability to:

- Use metaphor extensively. Mind you, the degree you use metaphor in depends in subject matter. You will obviously use less metaphor in a business paper than you will in a literature paper. (Note that by "metaphor" I mean everything that is included under this catagory). This goes to other rhetorical devices as well.

- Also, use the least jargon possible. Most of the time, jargon is reserved to "inner circles" of academia who create it for their own elitism. Chances are, if you use it, you don't fully understand it, and it will stick out like a sore thumb. Also, unless you are writing a paper for a science class, avoid scientific terminology as much as possible.

- Try to observe your own writing habits. In high school, they used to force us to hand in outlines with our essays. I used to do the outline after I did the essay. I simply cannot work with outlines. So, if you are like me, chances are that outlines actually make your writing worse, not better. I use outlines as an example, this goes to other things as well, such as the chronology of wiring, intros and conclusions..etc.

- PLEASE do not indent the first paragraph!! it looks pathetic!

- This is my own taste, but I usually use single-space whenever I can. Double-space looks very annoying and wastes paper.

>>- Use metaphor extensively. Mind you, the degree you use metaphor in depends in subject matter.>>

Watch out.
this can really backfire on you. I've seen some REALLY goofy metaphors.

>>- PLEASE do not indent the first paragraph!! it looks pathetic!

- This is my own taste, but I usually use single-space whenever I can. Double-space looks very annoying and wastes paper.>>

I don't follow either of these.
So, well, my essays, stylisticaly, are much like my writing on here. Consequently, I'm probably not in a good position to give pointers. :)

ebola

ebola? said:
Watch out.
this can really backfire on you. I've seen some REALLY goofy metaphors.

Oh I totally agree... as I said, the efficacy and degree of metaphor would depend on the subject matter and your knowledge of it. I guess I should have said "make GOOD use..." rather than "effective."
I don't follow either of these.
So, well, my essays, stylisticaly, are much like my writing on here. Consequently, I'm probably not in a good position to give pointers. :)
Now there, lets not be mean ;)

Re: indentation, well.. I noticed many people indent their first paragraphs. It gives the impression that the essay has no beginning. Open any good book - you'll notice that first paragraphs are unindented.

Re: Double-space, again - it seems like a lot of people use these and some claim that they make the essay easier to read, but I find it makes things actually hard to follow.

However, this is your own taste (where it is not demanded, of course).

---

Point taken though... I am aware that I use more commas than necessary. More so in forums, because I write like I speak, and a comma would represent a pause in speach (that is actually the use of the comma in Arabic, which happens to be my native tongue). I am aware it is not grammatically perfect :).

>>Re: indentation, well.. I noticed many people indent their first paragraphs. It gives the impression that the essay has no beginning. Open any good book - you'll notice that first paragraphs are unindented. >>

By jove, you're right!

>>I am aware that I use more commas than necessary. >>

Oh, I didn't mean that at all. I just wanted to say that I find my own writing a bit. . .cumbersome and wordy. I probably shouldn't be telling people how to write (even though I'm grading them! :) ).

>>that is actually the use of the comma in Arabic>>

As far as I can tell, this is how it works with English. Well, I mean there are a couple other prescriptive rules, but yeah...

ebola

dg19 - yeah, we got wordlimits!

they're the bane of my frickin' existence as well. i think as a rule of thumb for every 1% over the acceptable margin of error (which is itself just 1% of total wordcount) you are docked 1 mark, or 5 marks, or whatever. they take it really seriously as well; some classes now require electronic copies of essays to be submitted along with hard copies so they can check your wordcount.

my top advice, if i had to give any, would be:

- read the question, think about the question, answer the question. rinse & repeat if necessary, but remember: you will never get the result you want if you don't properly grasp the issues at hand and comprehensively answer the question.

- do your research, and do it properly. this doesn't mean taking a line or two out of a suggested bibliography. i'd wager that an average undergraduate essay of mine contained between 40 - 50 bibliographical items, and for major pieces of work like dissertations that figure was over 100. if you want to succeed you need to be passionate and interested in what you do, and if you are passionate & interested then your main worry will be when to stop reading!

- forget the thesaurus tool. it soon becomes fairly obvious when someone is using the 'switcharoo' method...

- try to keep the bigger picture in mind. this is just one essay, part of one class/module, of one year, of your degree. so - work hard but don't stress too much, and remember to try and link your work to the wider aims of the module as a whole.

- embrace your style. better to be knowingly trim & taut with your language than overly-verbose and excessive because that's what you think they want, and vice versa!. be yourself, write as yourself, keep working on your shortcomings (and sushii - i too think i write better when i'm a bit restrained) but don't try to be someone you're not!

- finish a few days early and give yoursel time to re-read & edit your work. even one night's sleep can make a huge difference to the overall structure of a piece of work, particularly if it was rushed*

*n.b. this is the only piece of advice listed above which i never did manage to follow myself =D=D=D

Omg.. I laughed at the OP. Every single tip would either lower my score or go against the preferences of many of my profs.

A picture on the cover? Third grade my friend. I do believe this is in jest..

i made a 97A on my comp II mid-term
"Prayer in Public Schools"

*takes a bow*

ahem

i always have someone else proof read my paper. because even when i reread a paper, i will almost always miss mistakes like there instead of their. plus, its nice to make sure someone else can follow my line of thinking. i'm surprised no one has mentioned that...

^that would mean actually finishing it at least a day before the deadline tho yeah?

;)

I just got an 84 on a very well-written paper. Fucking graduate students (no offense ebola, I'm sure Berkeley TAs are much better than these UCLA cocksuckers). I hate it when they grade my papers. I am well versed in the rules of essay writing, and as such I feel it's acceptable to break them. I break them effectively as reflected by the excellent grades I get when full professors are grading, but these fucking TAs man I'm getting sick of this shit. Shoulda gone to a small, private school.

>>I am well versed in the rules of essay writing, and as such I feel it's acceptable to break them. I break them effectively as reflected by the excellent grades I get when full professors are grading, but these fucking TAs man I'm getting sick>>

Visit your TA during office hours. They'll probably be reasonable about it. If that isn't satisfactory, go see the prof for the course.

ebola

dr seuss said:
^that would mean actually finishing it at least a day before the deadline tho yeah?

;)

nah, it just means having friends whose sole purpose in life is to proofread my papers ;)

I really hope the OP is taking the piss.

The only way I could see any of these thngs being of benefit is if it was for an (early) HS paper.

To join the club, I graded papers at uni. both semesters last year and I learnt that these 'tricks' nearly always meant that the student knew nothing due to lack of study and was 'bluffing' or was making a genuine attempt to do well but was possibly lacking oomph upstairs.

When you're (<- get these right by the way) marking 150 papers on the same topic, little things like superfluous frills immediately put you in a negative mindset and pure objectivity becomes very difficult.

To sum up (plainly and concisely, the way you should write an essay), ignore these 'tips'.

I always use 1.5 spacing and never indent the first paragraph.

If I think that I'm babbling or arguing circuitously in a paper, I read it aloud. You can really tell if something sounds stupid or incoherent if you do this.

Oh, and beware of any auto-correct options in MS Word! The program can "correct" things when you don't want it to and end up causing errors in your paper.