• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

When is poor spelling/grammar ok? Discuss literacy...

disclaimer: don't make fun of me when i say "omg" online. if it annoys you, be glad i don't say 'lol' or 'peeps' or 'ppl'. Or worse, 'ppls'. thankyou :)

Excellent spelling, punctuation and grammar... so so so sexy!

And the odd use of a big, sexy word (not used too liberally though.. only when it's entirely appropriate). People who demonstrate, in a non-snobby/arrogant/wankerish manner, that they have an extensive vocab are HOT.

I'm a big semicolon fan myself.

;;;;;; oh yeah :D

I had such a good time last year proof-reading the uni magazine, and actually being ENCOURAGED to nitpick and make fun of peoples' sentences :p

I have much more respect for my partner if they can spell.

i don't care too much for capitalisation online though- that's my only concession. unless it's the word I. because that defies the rules.

end note: all rules are made by me. and can be changed at any time, but most likely will remain static.

Last edited:
I think it's nice when someone writes a post which has correct spelling and grammer.

I can appreciate what people are saying when they say all language should be about is getting the message across, however, I think poor spellers make the person look less intelligent. Now, that isn't really fair at all because there are some intelligent people who put forward great arguments however it's inevitable that some people will take them a little less seriously if they write things like, 'ur' and 'pety'.

That being said I skim read most posts online so don't always notice the spellings mistakes anyway eg when I first read COTB's post.

Oh and I still have no idea when to use an apostrophe and it took me 22 years to work out then/ than. I'm just no good at learning nit picky things. =D

I really love good spelling and grammar. I can live with typos, I make a few myself from time to time (I know, hard to believe), but I do get a little frustrated with posts (or whatever the medium) that are poorly constructed. It just makes me feel that the author doesn't care enough to make a proper effort.

And yes, I'm a knob who uses full sentences, capital letters and punctuation in text messages :\

doofqueen said:
English is my second language .... can i use that as my excuse? =D

English is my second language, and I have better grammar and spelling than almost all, if not all people who post here.

I really think its a tad unfair to be equating poor spelling with intelligence.

Firstly the ability to spell has absolutely nothing to do with a persons IQ.

Secondly, while I consider myself to be a well above average speller, I am an absolutely crap typer and will often hit the wrong button or even two button thingies with one hit........Im not the spell police so i aint gunna go over me post and check it unless its a post that is technical or something.

I take the point of the first impression........I accept it but I dont agree with it.

Actually its how I try to live my life...........I try to never ever judge someone on first appearance.

And certainly never based on if they can spell or not..........but the concept gave me a hell of a good laugh.

I guess my bottom line is that there are far more important things to learn in life than how to spell or make grammer.

I would prefer to live with ten people whom cant even spell Run Nip Run but had spent there learning to spell time learning to become decent human beings than to live with ten dickheads who were spelling aces.

english is my second language too, and i'll attribute all the mistakes that i make to my sheer laziness, tendency to get easily frustrated (hence just hit post without double or tripple checking; like i did now :|), and the poor quality of australia's education system :eek:

but yes, i agree. reading grammatically correct posts is nice and it does make the person seem more intelligent. i think it's good to at least try because it can help make whatever you're point is that little bit more poignant.

and to further answer the question in the title: sometimes i like writing words like 'kinda' or 'anyways' because i think it gives a bit of dynamic and light heartedness to whatever i'm trying to say. however, i don't think that it should be over used and it's always obvious when it's being done deliberately because the rest of the punctuation and grammar are correct. it's really has more to do with being a creative thing, and playing around than anything else.

Last edited:
My problem is that I would love to use correct spelling and grammar but I get into situations where i am forced to substitute. For example I have been writing really long texts lately and even though it is quicker for me to spell words like 'your' correctly (because they are in my phone dictionary), I run out of room and end up going back and changing everything to abbreviations. Plus being a school teacher I have to make sure I practice the correct form otherwise... well in class today I wrote ppl on the whiteboard about three times. ; )
Now, since I've told you I'm a teacher I'm just waiting for someone to sift through this post to find and list the errors.

Re: Re: Re: <3

Duckboy said:
Originally posted by Mary Poppins
COTB you were being ironic, non???

please tell me you purposely put those mistakes in your post?

Hahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahaahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Such a lovely boyfriend - at every possible chance to give your girlfriend shit online, you do! :D

As for poor spelling and grammar - it doesn't bother me that much unless it's absolutely pathetic (like my msn spelling - although that has more to do with being a hopeless typist). I also question a persons intelligence when 'all' of their written work resembles that of a grade 2 students. It's either an intelligence issue or sheer laziness - considering I can be compassionate about the former, it's probably just as well that more often than not - I put it down to intelligence. I mean really, it's not that hard to take the time to present your post effectively - especially when the majority of the other posts in the thread have been of respectable standard.

I never use a spellcheck before posting, hardly even noticed the button was there. I forget why I mention that - I think something was mentioned earlier in the discussion. 8(

As witchdoctor said - people who confuse: there, they're and their - can confuse me as I read what they write. Incorrectly using those words can throw a whole sentence out of whack!

MoeBro said:
English is my second language, and I have better grammar and spelling than almost all, if not all people who post here.

Someone has themself wrapped up for christmas already!:p;)=D

It's ok whenever I don't want to be taken seriously.

I heard a great quote once: You could be saying the smartest thing ever, but unless you've brushed your teeth and soaped yourself up, the majority of the population just won't listen (as they shouldn't, you filthy hippy! :p ). Presentation is everything.

Why should that change because it's the internet and because it's 'just words'? That should make it even more important because aside from your message, that is all of yourself that you're putting out there. If I'm posting on a messageboard, I want to be read by as many people as possible and that means writing in a fashion that respects them. I don't want to alienate 3/4 of my audience before I've even started.

**;)jUsT mI 2 cEnTz y0:D**

MazDan said:

Firstly the ability to spell has absolutely nothing to do with a persons IQ.

Actually, you're right about that to an extent - the most highly intelligent person I know is dyslexic. This guy is like a walking book of knowledge and wisdom...

However, for the most part - I don't think what you're saying is entirely true and correct. IQ and spelling do not correlate perfectly, no - but unless one is dyslexic, their spelling should be in a similar range to that of their IQ. :)

When I am serious, my grammar and spelling is usually pretty good. In particular when I am at work. Outside work I am a disaster. I often have to come back a few minutes later and edit what I typed because a paragraph hasn't been structured correctly, or something of that ilk. I hate not being a great speller and that I've never been able to understand the logic behind it all.

Poor spelling is okay when your trying to write a sms and you only have a certain amount of characters to use, and you gotta squeeze in all the things you want to say..

example

yo party @ my house b ther @ 9 byo. cn u bring dex & mixa. thnx (insert adderss) cu there

MazDan said:
I didnt know their was a difference between your and you're.
it's a bit like 'there' and 'their'.

spelling & generally correct grammar is a must, obviously taken within context as xcidium pointed out.

with regard to capitalization - i consider it unnecessary in casual situations, and very much prefer the aesthetic appeal of lower-case (sans-serif of course).

I always try to use correct spelling etc. when on the internet, and writing SMS. My grammar could use a bit of work, but that's what you get when you spend your HSC years notoriously absent from school :)

Even if it costs me three messages worth of SMS to say what I could say in one I resist the urge to use annoying abbreviations like: u, luv, fuk, lol, rofl etc.

Just a personal integrity thing, it doesn't bother me when other people don't do it.

In fact I have one friend who I can never understand at all when he sends an SMS. I usually just ring and ask him what the fuck he is on about. But that is kind of countered by another friend of mine in which every single SMS message ends up in some sort of 10 or so message "philosophy rant" exchange. Keeps me amused and on my toes...

kandyraverchick said:
Actually, you're right about that to an extent - the most highly intelligent person I know is dyslexic. This guy is like a walking book of knowledge and wisdom...

However, for the most part - I don't think what you're saying is entirely true and correct. IQ and spelling do not correlate perfectly, no - but unless one is dyslexic, their spelling should be in a similar range to that of their IQ. :)

I dont mean to be rude and I certainly dont want to start anything, but I can assure you that I am in fact 100% correct.

Spelling and IQ have nothing to do with each other whatsoever.

In fact most of the silly tests that you find on the net or in fact the national IQ test on tv are also not in any way a measure of IQ.

Some are in part but at best sketchy...........but thats a whole other debate.

zagor.............your kidding arent you.............ts ok to not use capitals but grammar and spelling are a must.

Come on, lets be serious here.............its all or nothing..........you cant just make some rules and not worry about others.

I actually enjoy this discussion because if you sort of look a bit deeper into it all and peoples reasons for wanting perfection or not............its often, in my opinion, related to how they probably look at life.

They want to see everything nice and sweet up front..............but dont really want to look into whats actually going on underneath.

Very similar with the way people read papers and take in the news..................some will read that Oranges are Orange.........and thats that...............while others will read that oranges are orange and wonder if they are and maybe gop and find out for themselves or maybe wonder.............yes maybe they are.......but what colour are they inside............or maybe its just been painted and its not really that colour.

I hope that makes sense.

I guess in a way what im saying is..........dont worry to much about how its written but worry more about WHAT is written.